Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

Site Supporter
    Nice work Corey. It looks like you could really reduce your overall times by working on the 3x5 shots. Specifically, I'd work on the draw to first shot and split.

Thanks, working the 20 hits drill a lot is what got me to this point, but I still have a long way to go.

It's been a long time since this post.

Quote Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
    My best (and only) was 6.33 clean. I don't remember the split times, though
    The last time I shot this drill for score was in March of 2010 and I got 6.33 seconds, earning me an "Advanced" score and placing me on the Wall of Fame.

Back then I was using my Sig P226R in a Bladetech OWB holster (i think?) shooting 124gr Speer Lawman ammo. This time I'm using my M&P 9mm in an Atomic Dog OWB holster (it was cheap), and 115gr PMC.

This is the first time since that I've shot it with a timer.

• 5.53 seconds (clean): 1.89 / 0.61 / 2.12 / 0.34 / 0.30 / 0.27

I know I can speed up on my draw (this was shot cold) and I can improve the reload speed but either regardless I'm pretty stoked.

The night before shooting I was thinking I really wanted to get sub-6 seconds on the drill. After I shot it and looked at the timer (in bright sunlight) and thought the last shot read 5.93 and I was pretty happy. It wasn't until I was in the car on the drive back when I saw it was actually 0.40/seconds faster!
    If not me, then who?

Site Supporter
    Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Well done!
    Thanks. My wife got me a shot timer for Christmas and I remembered what it was like to actually track your progress.

The last time I went out shooting I found I was getting 0.18 - 0.25 splits on Bill Drills so I knew I wanted to shoot the F.A.S.T. again. Without sounding cocky I think a sub-5 second time is in my future.
    If not me, then who?

Site Supporter
    You just need to speed up everything - just a little bit. I would focus on the first 2 shots, there's a lot of time to be saved there.

For improving my first 2 shot times, I practiced a lot on index cards with decreasing par times.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    You just need to speed up everything - just a little bit. I would focus on the first 2 shots, there's a lot of time to be saved there.

For improving my first 2 shot times, I practiced a lot on index cards with decreasing par times.
    That's a good suggestion.
    If not me, then who?

I am curious, do you suppose someone like Wild Bill Hickock drew his pistol and took time to get a site picture before he fired?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dugsok View Post
    I am curious, do you suppose someone like Wild Bill Hickock drew his pistol and took time to get a site picture before he fired?
    That's not on topic for this thread.

EDIT: Moved to drill of the week thread.
    Last edited by Gio; 01-14-2015 at 11:49 PM.

User Tag List