Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr M and S Series

Steyr M and S Series

The Russian gun-handling thread got me thinking of all the different SFA guns out there.

Why don't we ever hear about the Steyr M and S guns?

They're designed by an ex-Glock engineer for Steyr, and feature a trigger that would rival the PPQ. However, no one ever got a hard on for the Steyr, unlike the PPQ. They're being imported again, so I just wanted to generate some discussion about this pistol.

Any high round count data on it? Shooting experiences?
    Name:  steyr.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  32.7 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The one I had (M9?) suffered from frequent failures to extract and the triangle sights sucked with no alternatives available.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon...-set-st01.html

Trijicon currently makes sights for it, so at least that part can be remedied.

Do you know if the FTE problem was widespread and recurring, or a teething issue? Or was yours just a lemon?

For a while I was amassing a collection of .357SIG pistols, and had an M357. I found it rather agreeable, but obviously not enough to keep it. I shot it very little, so no data there.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    For a while I was amassing a collection of .357SIG pistols, and had an M357. I found it rather agreeable, but obviously not enough to keep it. I shot it very little, so no data there.
    What characteristics made you want to sell it and keep the Glock/M&P/SIG/HK or whatever else you were using? Something about the grip? Trigger? Mag release? Or was it more related to aftermarket support?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What characteristics made you want to sell it and keep the Glock/M&P/SIG/HK or whatever else you were using? Something about the grip? Trigger? Mag release? Or was it more related to aftermarket support?
    I sold it when I came to my senses and realized a safe full of guns was nonsense, and was preventing me from becoming a good shooter.

I didn't elect to keep the Styer because when I was selling everything and starting over, Styer wasn't importing anything for their pistols anymore and I thought the ship had sailed so to speak. I settled on the M&P because of aftermarket support almost entirely. I don't remember the last time I saw a Styer mag at the LGS, whereas they have M&P mags for sale by the pound.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon...-set-st01.html

Trijicon currently makes sights for it, so at least that part can be remedied.

Do you know if the FTE problem was widespread and recurring, or a teething issue? Or was yours just a lemon?
    I had two; an M40 and M9. Both had great shooting characteristics but lousy extraction characteristics, as in consistent FTE. Several trips to Steyr made no difference so I rid myself of them. No more Steyr for me.

I cured the extraction issues with a homemade extractor spring insert made from a nitrile O-ring (similar to the AR extractor spring inserts).
    The Steyr just wasn't worth the effort it took to get parts, holsters, magazines or parts when compared to a Glock or even my P99 at the time (and the P99 was a pain to buy for back then).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I had an M9 for a while.

It felt great in my hand, the sights did not bother me too much, and the trigger was really good. I got rid of it for two reasons:

1) the support and aftermarket - At the time (2008ish) Steyr seemed to be out of the US market, and it was a bear to find holsters or even magazines. Just not worth the hassle. To be fair, when I found out I needed an extractor upgrade, Steyr customer service took great care of me and sent the part out fast. I just didn't know if they were going to be around for the long haul if I needed other parts.

2) FTE - the pistol had a weird tendency to sometimes FTE, but only with Remington ammo. And to make it even more frustrating, it was not a consistent stoppage. I could go a couple hundred rounds with nothing, and then BAM, a couple right in a row. On the Steyr forum, it seemed to be widely acknowledged that the gun had issues with Remington brand stuff. They just all suggested running Winchester/Federal/Hornady/Corbon whatever, and ignore Remington. For me, I just could not trust a gun like that. Again, to be fair, I never had a single problem with any other brand. It still was just too much for me to live with. I sold it to a guy who had no problem with running other brands.

I had a Steyr M40 for several years. My initial premise/hope was that it would be sort of a "product improved" Glock G23. Mine was an early production one, warranting a trip to Trussville for the improved trigger, which came back with a nice, consistant trigger pull. I actually liked, and performed reasonably decently with the OEM triangle-trapezoidal sights. The gun's ergos were actually quite good. However, the devil was in the operational details, notably extraction issues. I repeatedly had sporadic (but continual) issues with extraction/extraction jams. This was a systemmic problem with these "first generation Steyrs; I believe that the problem(s) was eridicated in subsequent (and current) production varients. If I wasn't pleased with my current Gen 3 Glocks, I might consider trying one of the current production 9mm versions, but I'm reluctant to peersonally recommend them based on my previous experience with the earlier version.

Best, Jon

User Tag List