Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You won't have time to "X"...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    From a 5 year analysis of The Armed Citizen (482 incidents) I did years ago:
    The problem with using "The Armed Citizen" as a database is it only recounts the tales with happy endings, never the ones where people got their heads stove in with tire irons while their derringer was still in their purse.

It's like stating that auto crashes are rarely fatal because 100% of the people you interviewed had survived them.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

If you train, wargame, mentally and physically rehearse, (IMHO) you tilt the odds in your favor in case of conflict
    Now thats a butthole group right there....right on the money!!
    Cheers

A proper training regimen, IMO and coming from a HTH background, is threefold.

1. Proper, slow, solo, technique training until it is so good you can do it at 'combat speed'. I hear it all the time on this forum. Dryfire trigger control, dryfire reloads, dryfire draws, dryfire TRBs, etc.

2. Proper, slow, solo, live technique training with a partner for HTH until you can do it at 'combat speed'. I hear this too all the time on the forum. Look at the list of drills that this forum has accumulated.

3. When 1 and 2 are done at full speed and your fundamentals are within the 'flawless' spectrum, then you add stressors like multiple attackers in HTH, being 'caught' in a technique already, being prone, supine, knife against unarmed, etc. I see these drills all the time on this forum too: hit smaller targets, moving targets, SOM, different shooting positions, timed drills, a buddy yelling out targets and number of shots, etc.

These 3 things, no matter what you are training in, are necessary in order for a practitioner to have spontaneous, efficient and correct practice UNCONSCIOUSLY. So when the SHTF, your technique will be on autopilot so that your awareness can begin to delineate proper threat priorities, etc. I believe that this is the essence of professionals practicing until they don't get it wrong.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The problem with using "The Armed Citizen" as a database is it only recounts the tales with happy endings, never the ones where people got their heads stove in with tire irons while their derringer was still in their purse.

It's like stating that auto crashes are rarely fatal because 100% of the people you interviewed had survived them.
    This, and exactly this.

It's a much stronger data point for encouraging street thugs not to telegraph their intentions.

Sometimes you have time. Sometimes you don't. Whether you do or do not largely depends on two things:

1) Whether the punk gave it to you. A smart predator waits in ambush, and strikes with overwhelming force. If he screws up, assumes you won't notice, and/or doesn't take you seriously as a threat, then you might have time. Some guys sneak in with a request for a light. Some guys ambush you when you start worrying about the guy asking for a cigarette. Or sucker punch you in a line at McDonald's. The thing is, *you* don't get to control this part.

2) Whether you noticed that he made a mistake. This is the part situational awareness gets you. This is what you can control.

Situational awareness is important, and it makes the bad guy's job much harder... but even the best guys get surprised sometimes. Just finished reading Meditations on Violence, and even its author admitted to having been surprised by attacks. Your immediate reaction following that is as important as trying to make sure you see it coming.

So... always look, but don't expect to always see something before it hits you.

User Tag List