Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P220 Hammer Spring Data

Hrmph I must be an idiot, I can't find a way to edit my posts. Wouldn't surprise me if I missed something.

Anyway - I misspoke with my round count in my first post, I just realized...it was after the 500 round mark, not well before that I ran into it. I was pretty happy my first two range trips with it, and had started using it as my carry piece with the 18lb spring. Then I started getting the light strikes.

The 19lb spring change acted up before that round count though. I'm honestly wondering if it was an over-application of grease in the spring or what, maybe it was my fault? But reverting to factory seemed to be the safest thing to do with a 220 in .45.

Maybe I'll have better luck with a 9mm or .40 P229...

Ahh, apparently editing a post is time-sensitive? Makes sense actually...anyway -

I was thinking specifically of the 220 compact I had tried the spring in, which did get light strikes earlier...but that's not really an apples to apples comparison; the hammer strut is much smaller, the angles are different, etc. The full size 220 didn't really start to accumulate light strikes until a couple of sessions at the range.
    Last edited by Evil_Ed; 03-22-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Clarification

Another 50 rounds of 230 grain AE without issue through the P220 with the 18lb spring. Now at roughly 250 rounds.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Another 50 rounds of 230 grain AE were fired through the W. German P220 with the 18 lb spring. No mechanical failures or ignition problems. I’m now at 300 rounds.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-11-2018 at 08:22 PM.

No experience in a P220, but a bit on the P228/9/6 series.

I found that I could run a lighter than 19lb spring on pistols I'd never polished the internals and still get good primer strikes for a few months (600 rounds/month, who knows how many pulls for dry fire) with no reliability issues. On pistols that I polished the hammer contacts, sear, hammer strut, trigger bar, it was normally a 1-1 light strike to full light off when using 17lb and a couple times a mag for 18lb spring. I got real good at ball-and-dummy drills with my P226 for a while because of this! I now just put a 19lb in, grease the scrap out of the internals and keep everything well lubricated to keep the trigger weights down and smooth. I'll also replace the mainspring when I replace the recoil spring at 5k rounds or annually, because I don't keep track of my dry fire trigger pulls.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    So what it sounds like is you get reliable results from a 19 lb spring, whether you've polished the internals or not.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

50 more rounds of 230 grain AE through the W. German blue gun. Now at about 350 rounds without ignition issues.

If you're looking to vet the 18 lb spring concept for duty or carry, you might steer away from American Eagle, as it's a Federal cartridge and has their lighter/softer primers discussed above. I can go 5000 rounds between mainspring replacements sans ignition issues with an 18 lb mainspring if I'm I'm shooting federal primers. Other primer brands, not so much.

25 more rounds of 230 grain Fed AE though the W. German P220. That’s about 375 rounds.

50 Rounds of 230 grain SB FMJ through the W. German P220 (18lb). No ignition issues or failures. Now up to 425 rounds.
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-28-2024 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    50 Rounds of 230 grain SB FMJ through the W. German P220 (18lb). No ignition issues or failures. Now up to 425 rounds.
    Back when we used the classic Sigs, I installed a bunch of 18 lb springs. Never had any issues with ignition using factory ammo or my reloads.

The most impressive change was a P225 which had to have a German police spec spring. The full set of NRA weights (17 3/4 lbs) was not enough to trip the DA.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List