Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P trigger return spring

M&P trigger return spring

I broke my stock trigger return spring on my M&P FS 9mm today. I have 10,547 rounds through this gun and this was the original spring. I just replaced my recoil spring before hitting the range (second time since purchase) and the trigger return spring broke after 22 rounds into my practice session. I received some replacement springs about 3 weeks ago after a few months on backorder. I thought about replacing the spring this morning but I was short on time and my gun was filthy so I decided I would do it sometime this week.

I think I'll stick to a 5,000 round replacement schedule for my recoil spring and trigger return spring. Any other parts I should consider replacing with 10k down the pipe? I have an extra striker assembly so I may replace that too (my current one is the original old style) as long as I can get a replacement in the next few weeks.

Site Supporter
    I replaced the recoil and trigger springs together, at 5K. I would replace the slide release every 10K. I broke the left side of 2 or 3 releases.

I believe the new springs have a life of 10,000 rounds now. DocGKR, can you confirm?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    When thinking about trigger return spring life, don't forget to consider dry fire.

While it's apart you may want to replace the slide stop assembly @$16 as your right around the round count I broke both of mine.

I just gave it a good cleaning and replaced:

trigger return spring
    slide release assembly
    striker assembly
    recoil spring (before my trigger spring broke earlier)

Now my reset isn't 100%. Sometimes it lags. Any ideas?

Maybe the new striker assembly has something to do with it???

Site Supporter
    Did you put the trigger spring in correctly?

Is the open part of the trigger spring loop facing up or down?

It was definitely the new striker assembly. Just replaced with the old one and it works great. Why would the new striker assembly hang up and not allow reset?

Maybe the new striker assembly is rubbing against the striker block some how?

A tip that Randy mentioned was to keep the trigger return spring lubricated to assist in its life.

Just talked to my friend who did a trigger job for me. Turns out my striker is tuned for this setup. I will need a new trigger bar and sear to make a new striker work. Makes sense...I didn't think he tuned the striker.

User Tag List