Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas release protest to guns in Austin

Site Supporter

Gas release protest to guns in Austin

Never has the intellectual v emotional state of society been contrasted so heavily in recent times.

Perhaps we are no longer living in the "Age of Reason", but now the " Age of Emotion". Facts and the truths of the universe no longer matter, it is only the social and individual feelings which matter and thus should be the basis of our policy decisions.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Never has the intellectual v emotional state of society been contrasted so heavily in recent times.

Perhaps we are no longer living in the "Age of Reason", but now the " Age of Emotion". Facts and the truths of the universe no longer matter, it is only the social and individual feelings which matter and thus should be the basis of our policy decisions.
    Excellent observation.....I ll be stealing that.

I I actually think the mass shooting folks were the stupid ones on this. I take second amendment discussions quite seriously, and making a a drama production bothers me to the core. I work my tail off trying to have logical debate with the other side, often using their own pet issues against them. Meanwhile, stupid gets press.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 12-13-2015 at 01:30 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Stupid always gets press because real thought out logic gets the tl;dr in a newspaper page.

That and reporters aren't known for their deep level of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Excellent observation.....I ll be stealing that.

I I actually think the mass shooting folks were the stupid ones on this. I take second amendment discussions quite seriously, and making a a drama production bothers me to the core. I work my tail off trying to have logical debate with the other side, often using their own pet issues against them. Meanwhile, stupid gets press.
    Indeed.

The "Mock Mass Shooting" was IMO a major blunder. From a logical standpoint it was a slam dunk- can't predict when one will happen, LE and public response is always delayed , etcetera.

Unfortunately it was a total failure because it had zero emotional relevance. We aren't debating Socrates in an Athens theatre. Too many people in the pro-gun camp think if we throw charts and facts and data the other side will fold up their tents in defeat, and it just doesn't work that way in the modern cultural idiom.

Were I tasked with the unenviable job of educating Johnny Xbox and Jane Instagram about the relevance of armed self defense, I'd dispense with guns and blood. Folks who've never fought can't relate to violence.

Instead I'd recruit ten or so folks, put mobile cell phone signal jammers in their backpacks, and have them camp out in various areas on campus with a lot of people. No phone service means no Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat....or calling Mom and Dad.

The next day id pose a simple question. You're cut off from the world . You're on your own.

What
    Will
    You
    Do?

Let the emotional relevance of being isolated sink in first. You'd be surprised how many "adults" in society collapse in tears at the thought of being without an iPhone for two business days.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Instead I'd recruit ten or so folks, put mobile cell phone signal jammers in their backpacks, and have them camp out in various areas on campus with a lot of people.
    Have fun sitting in jail for a very long time. You'd be violating multiple laws of the United States, each with penalties of up to 10 years imprisonment.

No phone service means no Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat....or calling Mom and Dad.
    And also no emergency services.

An even worse idea than the mock mass shooting.

ETA: I get that you might only be suggesting this as a theoretical, but people do insanely stupid shit these days which are outright criminal. Like teenage gamers who "SWAT" each other as a seemingly harmless prank or demonstration to make a political point......and rightfully get their 25-to-life prison sentences. I can totally see some student group doing exactly what you propose.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-13-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

"in droves"

"about 100 protesters"

100?

That's like, not even remotely a lot.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Cooper called it "The Age of the Common Man."
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Sounds like excellent material for a future South Park episode.

Well, it is Austin...............
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List