Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911's, I dont get it.

Wow 37 pages and still going!

Want a reason to own one? Here is why:

Or

Bam.

That doesn't appeal to you then you shouldn't own one. Most people shouldn't own one anyway unless you like to tinker and have time to maintain one properly.

/endthread.exe

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The Ruger isn't available in 9mm, is it?
    The Taurus is though, Jessie be shooting one.

Just saw this today on the Tactical Wire;

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/273642

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    The Taurus is though, Jessie be shooting one.
    I'll bet if I gave her a dollar for every Taurus part on that gun, she wouldn't get enough money from it to supersize her #5 value meal at lunch.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    This is one of my 1911's after 3000 rounds without cleaning, no failures a good 1911 will run dirty.

I took these photo's because someone was trying to tell me that 1911's need to be cleaned every time you use them or they won't run, I said to oldmate "bullshit I run mine to 1000rds under normal circumstances and don't have a problem going to 2000rds and can go more" He said "it's not posable some guy on youtube said!!" So it was on.

The only thing it had is lube thats it(as you can see I like to run it wet), my loads are pretty hot I'm running SR primers because SP don't seem to like it so I'm pretty sure it out of sammi spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'll bet if I gave her a dollar for every Taurus part on that gun, she wouldn't get enough money from it to supersize her #5 value meal at lunch.
    Hey, it says Taurus on the slide I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Hey, it says Taurus on the slide I'm sure.
    ...and the frame, too, no doubt. There's two bucks...

1911's can be very reliable that is not my problem with them. My problem is they require a lot of maintance. I used to carry a Wilson CQB as a duty gun for about 6 years or so. It was fine at first but then things started to break. plunger tube fell off the gun, replaced that , ejector got loose replaced that, replaced extractors and so on and so forth. The gun would run until something else needed replacing or tuning. Granted I shot this gun a lot in training and competition. I got to where I simply did not trust the gun. I went back to a Glock 17 as a duty weapon. I still use 2011's and 1911's for competition but for carry I simply don't trust them.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I used to carry a Wilson CQB as a duty gun for about 6 years or so.
    Duty use is hard on a gun. I'm minded of the IMPD motor cop, back when they were carrying stainless K-frames, who had to get his revolver sent to the dep't armorer. Seems that he'd always gotten a hot dog from the same vendor every day and ate it sitting on his bike, turned a little sideways, and over time the ketchup and mustard that fell into his holster crusted the cylinder shut.

Luckily, my Pro lived a pampered life for the almost-a-decade I carried it, and so nothing broke on it. I keep hearing about all this maintenance (*insert handwaving, like it's rebuilding a Ferrari F1 engine*) 1911s need, but other than lube and changing springs every so often, I haven't had to do any of it, fortunately...

My bad for not reading all 37 pages of this thread, in case this has been covered. Leaving aside the expense, weight and capacity of the 1911, has anyone suggested that a skilled shooter competent with the 1911 and other platforms (Glock, M&P, HK, Sig), performs better with the 1911 on PF style drills than the hi-cap pistols I mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My bad for not reading all 37 pages of this thread, in case this has been covered. Leaving aside the expense, weight and capacity of the 1911, has anyone suggested that a skilled shooter competent with the 1911 and other platforms (Glock, M&P, HK, Sig), performs better with the 1911 on PF style drills than the hi-cap pistols I mentioned?
    Well granting that familiarity can be a factor, the fact that even the cheapest worst examples of the 1911 pattern gun are inherently more accurate, pointable, ergonomic, and have vastly better triggers... I have to say yes without question.

Now... Whether that makes a difference in the "real world" may be up for debate.

User Tag List