Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Way of the gun" is on Netflix

Geoffrey Lewis (Abner Mercer - The old hitman guy) came into the gun store where I worked a lot. He was a really cool guy. He wore an HK shirt a lot and said all the Hollywood guys would ask what the cool logo was... He'd say; "They make the best damn submachine guns in the world!"

I remember him coming in and telling me I "had" to see this movie coming out called "Way of the Gun"... that the gun stuff was really good. He told me his daughter was in the movie and he was really happy with how it came out. It wasn't until I saw the movie (later on VHS) that I realized his daughter was Juliette Lewis.

He died a couple years ago. I hadn't seen him in nearly 15 years because I left the gun store and entered law enforcement. It was still sad to know he is gone... He was a good guy... a gun guy... and now I soooooo want to watch this on Netflix... I think my old VHS copy is around somewhere unless we trashed it (we don't have a VHS player anymore).

Thanks so much for the heads-up!

The opening scene for this movie ranks as one of my favorite opening scenes.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Geoffrey Lewis (Abner Mercer - The old hitman guy) came into the gun store where I worked a lot. He was a really cool guy. He wore an HK shirt a lot and said all the Hollywood guys would ask what the cool logo was... He'd say; "They make the best damn submachine guns in the world!"

I remember him coming in and telling me I "had" to see this movie coming out called "Way of the Gun"... that the gun stuff was really good. He told me his daughter was in the movie and he was really happy with how it came out. It wasn't until I saw the movie (later on VHS) that I realized his daughter was Juliette Lewis.

He died a couple years ago. I hadn't seen him in nearly 15 years because I left the gun store and entered law enforcement. It was still sad to know he is gone... He was a good guy... a gun guy... and now I soooooo want to watch this on Netflix... I think my old VHS copy is around somewhere unless we trashed it (we don't have a VHS player anymore).

Thanks so much for the heads-up!
    He delivered one of my favorite comedy lines of all time. He played a drunk on My Name is Earl and Earl was trying to reconcile him and his daughter. At one point his pants fell down and Randy is wrestling with him to get the pants back up and the drunk guy yells "If you pull 'em up I'll poop 'em!"

Add to list of recommended P-F movies? I haven't seen it yet but will now since it's on Netflix.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Way of the Gun is definitely one of my favorite "gun guy" movies. Lots of 1911 manipulation that's actually correct (like DB said, Scott Reitz trained the actors), guns carried in realistic holsters, some pretty quotable lines, and a few great shootouts. I haven't seen it in a while so I might just watch it on Saturday morning.

Watched the movie last night on Netflix for the first time. Wow, those guys certainly carried quite a few 1911 mags.

One thing I've always wondered about Way of the Gun. Is it a good movie, or is it a good movie to gun folks? If the gun stuff wasn't so good would it be just another forgettable hollywood action movie? I tend to think it may be the latter. Reason being, I don't know anyone that likes or remembers it who isn't at the very least a casual shooter.

Either way, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    One thing I've always wondered about Way of the Gun. Is it a good movie, or is it a good movie to gun folks? If the gun stuff wasn't so good would it be just another forgettable hollywood action movie? I tend to think it may be the latter. Reason being, I don't know anyone that likes or remembers it who isn't at the very least a casual shooter.

Either way, I like it.
    The latter, imho. And I still can't remember anything about it...though I know I've seen it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    RE: The question: Is it a good movie? If this means anything to you fellas, the IMBD rating is 6.7 (out of 10).

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post

Either way, I like it.
    If we put aside the gun stuff, it's a pretty good noir type movie with some really funny lines:"this isn't a "brains type of operation"
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List