Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ P-07 Thoughts?

CZ P-07 Thoughts?

Hey Todd/Guys!

I've been a long time stalker of Pistol-Training and this is my first thread post.

I've been shooting pistols for quite some time, but am just now trying to decide what I want for a CC rig. I've been taking a hard look at the CZ P-07 and it seems to be a pretty sweet package... Ability to switch from DA/SA to thumb safety, nice thin grips, what appears to be a pretty dang low bore axis.

I just wanted to see if any of you guys have had any experience with the firearm, and what ya'lls thoughts are.

The biggest downer seems to be the limited amount of accesories available vs something from Glock, SW, HK... But it's hard to beat the price point for what seems to be a pretty well put together pistol!

Any thoughts?

The problem with CZ is that although it is technically a NATO gun, it is not really used per se. Many confuse issued with used. You will be at the mercy of extremely limited aftermarket support in terms of parts, sights, and holsters. There is also a varying degree of quality amongst CZ pistols. Some seem smooth as butter and others feel like they are full of sand. The triggers are usually abissmal. If you like DA/SA, you should look at a 229 w/SRT installed. If you must have the DA/SA w/manual safety look at the USP/P30 guns from HK. Todd wrote a pretty good piece about CZ a while back on PT.com and apparently they have not performed well in his classes. Coming from someone who teaches and shoots as much as him, I would be inclined to heed his advice. I want to like CZ, they have some great concepts and there have been great executions. But they are too sporadic and the quality and consistency just isn't there. Alot of people refer to Jeff Cooper when he said the CZ-75 is one of the best choices there is for a pistol....well, that was because back then, there was like only 3 or 4 choices besides wheel guns.

I can't speak to the CZ P-07 directly, but I've shot a few CZ's and derivatives lightly. My brief thoughts:

* I like the grip and how it sits in the hands. Very similar to a 1911 in terms of angle.
    * Lots of room to get the proper grip on it without getting your hands caught up on controls.
    * The ones I shot had the metal frames, and they managed recoil very well... a CZ75 vs. my P30, the CZ had much less recoil. I attribute the frame, so the P-07 will be a different story.
    * Accurate and easy to shoot well.
    * The slide mounted control lever is not well positioned *for me*.
    * The biggest problem was the slide size, being so short, an overhand rack was hard because my fingers would catch the frame so I needed to use more of my palms. "Slingshot" wasn't easy because of the slide mounted control lever. If I ran one, I'd stick with slide lock release, and I'd hate to have to TRP it in the middle of a fight.
    * I haven't put enough rounds through them to declare them "trouble free" personally, but I have a friend who has put thousands of rounds through his CZ75 without issue. That's just one data point so it's not the be-all-and-end-all, of course.

Those are my impressions... you'll probably want to pay really close attention to what 10mm4me said about folks having issues. I think that from my experience, the difficulties in slide manipulations are a big concern. That said... I would LOVE to have one as a range gun. "First time touching it" I shot much better than I did with any other pistol I've shot other than a tricked out Glock 17.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

I have a CZ 75 SP01 that I am starting on Monday night as my official competition gun. I absolutely love it. I have 2,100 rounds through it and many hours of dry fire on it, and so far it is has ran flawlessly. The accuracy is unbelievable compared to most platforms (I have a G19, a M&P40, and a Sig P226 and this gun groups much better). I changed a couple of springs and now my trigger is pretty unbelievable. Reloads are faster than with most other platforms due to the mag well, and as a lefty, the mag release is large and easy for me to operate. The grip feels just like a 1911 to me, which I found extremely comfortable. The small slide is somewhat of a drawback for the sling-shot method for example but with enough training it is never an issue for me. The MAJOR negative for CZ products is their lack of holsters, sights, etc. I had to order from their custom shop to get any of those in. I don't CCW my SP01 because of it's size, but I liked the platform so much (despite the accessory drawbacks) that I bought a CZ 75 Compact for CCW (primarily since I have so many training hours on the system). My opinion is that unless you have a ton of hours on the set up and it is strictly a carry gun, I'd go another route. I think there are better options, such as Sig (which I also like a lot) and H&K.

* The biggest problem was the slide size, being so short, an overhand rack was hard because my fingers would catch the frame so I needed to use more of my palms. "Slingshot" wasn't easy because of the slide mounted control lever. If I ran one, I'd stick with slide lock release, and I'd hate to have to TRP it in the middle of a fight.
    same reason here, i wanted a p01 forever but i just couldnt get over the short slide.i felt it would be a huge disadvantage in a real fight. i could could barely grab it as is, let alone muddy or bloody

Thank you guys so much for the quick responses! My few other forum experiences seem to be an exercise in the zen art of patience.

If anyone has a link to that post todd did a while back that would be awesome.

It's funny about the short slide. I work at a major firearms retailer and the first dozen or so times I handled the P-07 I totally agreed. That little slide just seemed really tough to grab in a hurry. However, lately I've absolutely had no problems manipulating the slide on it. I'm not sure if I'm doing something different, or perhaps I'm just applying more pressure to the top of the slide... But I just seem to be able to rack it much better now.

In spite of the fact that I've never had an unintentional discharge (knock on wood) out of the 10,000+ rounds I've fired through striker fired pistols, I just keep having a tingly feeling about carrying a striker fired gun in the appendix position. That being said I may still just end up going with the G19. Mainly due to sight/holster availability and such. Obviously the P30 solves alot of these concerns, but frankly I just don't have the shekels.

In hopefully not too big of a subject jump, how do you guys feel about G19 vs. P-07?

Quote Originally Posted by jstyer View Post

If anyone has a link to that post todd did a while back that would be awesome.
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/3218
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I'm a huge CZ fan, own and have thousands of rounds down a SP01, but G19 hands down vs. P07. Long track record of reliability (mostly), huge aftermarket support, and if you don't like it you'll be able to make most of your money back.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I own a CZ-75B, I cannot speak for the CZ P-07.

Stephen Camp's CZ article led me to the purchase. I'm thoroughly satisfied with my 75B; it is easy to shoot, comfortable, accurate, and reliable to my standards.* If I were to acquire a more compact CZ, I'd consider the PCR and P-01 over the P-07. I'd suggest a Glock over all of them for the reasons tremiles listed.

*My CZ and reliability:
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post31462
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

I handled a used P-07 in a LGS a while back, and I very much liked feel and the trigger. The drawback as others have said the is the lack of aftermarket support.

User Tag List