Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T2 Mount Recommendations

T2 Mount Recommendations

I am currently in the market for a lower 1/3 T2 optic/mount.

I have been leaning towards a Scalarworks primarily with Bobro a close second. I do want a QD mount.

I like the weight of the Scalarworks but I am not so sure about the "QD" mounting method. I prefer the QD lever on the Bobro.

It seems to be a light weight version of the Aimpoint QRP mount which I was under the impression wasn't normally considered a good choice over the lever style mounts back several years ago.

Has something changed?

Which is preferred now?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I am currently in the market for a lower 1/3 T2 optic/mount.

I have been leaning towards a Scalarworks primarily with Bobro a close second. I do want a QD mount.

I like the weight of the Scalarworks but I am not so sure about the "QD" mounting method. I prefer the QD lever on the Bobro.

It seems to be a light weight version of the Aimpoint QRP mount which I was under the impression wasn't normally considered a good choice over the lever style mounts back several years ago.

Has something changed?

Which is preferred now?
    The QRP Mount, at least the current version on the M4 and PRO is solid in my experience- the biggest complaint is normally the retention knob sticking out too far.

Is LaRue an option? I can only speak to my experience with the H2 (lever) mount and it's been rock solid.
    Last edited by blues; 12-03-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Is LaRue an option? I can only speak to my experience with the H2 (lever) mount and it's been rock solid.
    It is on the list but pretty far down. I have owned several Larues in the past (6 total IIRC) and they are okay, but tightening them up to the point they don't wiggle means they are rather difficult to QD.

I have never owned a Bobro but looking at videos they are pretty easy to remove.

But I am always open to suggestions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    It is on the list but pretty far down. I have owned several Larues in the past (6 total IIRC) and they are okay, but tightening them up to the point they don't wiggle means they are rather difficult to QD.

I have never owned a Bobro but looking at videos they are pretty easy to remove.

But I am always open to suggestions.
    We are using the LRP mounts at work with H1’s - no issues so far.

Larue, Bobro and Scalarworks all make great mounts and I’ve used them all professionally.

My opinion is you want your optic relatively difficult to QD, until it’s time to rip it off. You’re not going to QD an optic in the middle of an engagement... you’re going to transition / move / seek cover to give you the time to clear the optic off the gun.

I have had larue’s slider locking mechanism unlock and the lever get snagged on kit enough to start releasing the mount. It’s only happened once, but it was enough to recognize that a problem may come up. It’s easy enough to check that the slider is fully locked during inspections prior to using the rifle.

Bobro makes a solid easy to lock/unlock system, but it’s a heavier mount overall.

Scalarworks is easy to wheel on and wheel off the clamping mechanism. The wheel is retained using a ball-detent. Even if it unlocks one or two positions, it’s not going to have any impact on the mounts clamping strength...and there’s nothing to snag on kit / gear / slings / etc. it’s also the lightest mount.

I’d stick with Scalarworks. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    Larue, Bobro and Scalarworks all make great mounts and I’ve used them all professionally.

My opinion is you want your optic relatively difficult to QD, until it’s time to rip it off. You’re not going to QD an optic in the middle of an engagement... you’re going to transition / move / seek cover to give you the time to clear the optic off the gun.

I have had larue’s slider locking mechanism unlock and the lever get snagged on kit enough to start releasing the mount. It’s only happened once, but it was enough to recognize that a problem may come up. It’s easy enough to check that the slider is fully locked during inspections prior to using the rifle.

Bobro makes a solid easy to lock/unlock system, but it’s a heavier mount overall.

Scalarworks is easy to wheel on and wheel off the clamping mechanism. The wheel is retained using a ball-detent. Even if it unlocks one or two positions, it’s not going to have any impact on the mounts clamping strength...and there’s nothing to snag on kit / gear / slings / etc. it’s also the lightest mount.

I’d stick with Scalarworks. Just my opinion.

Thank you.

I replaced the Aimpoint QD lever mount with a Scalar Works mount. I use it to mount a T2 to a suppressed AR shorty and it's been put through its paces. Get the Scalar mount. At first, the knob would back off one click and no more. Now, it doesn't back off at all. I suspect the reason it loosened a click is because there was paint on the rail. I've removed the Scalar mount and reinstalled it and three was no noticeable shift in POI. When I can afford to, I plan to get another Scalar Works mount for an H1. The only complaint I can think of is that I didn't get one sooner.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-04-2017 at 02:00 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

My only experience with the LRP amount is watching a buddy’s fall right off his gun while shooting. I’m assuming that was user error, but still. There are much better mounts on the market. I had the Bobro, great mount and QD system. Very well designed, but I replaced it with the Scalarworks. Primarily for weight savings because it is a significant difference. But the SW is also much more low profile and damn good looking. I’m kind of set on Scalarworks being my go-to mount for optics.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yes, if Hillary Clinton was the only other mount manufacturer, I'd recommend a LaRue

I have used most mounts out there for most optic types.

Geissele and nightforce and badger are my go to.

Don't buy crap optics. Don't buy crap guns. Don't buy crap mounts. Make a strong 3 link chain. Accepting a weak link because "what if..." makes less sense, to me, that that. Qd is just a weak link. No matter who made it.

Scalarworks: moved on my sr25, SW is redesigning them because of this and other occurrences (my guess on the latter).
    LaRue: what more needs saying?
    Bobro: RTZ wasn't what I expected. Got a little shift. Large gut hook when weapon is slung. Don't hate because I'm soft.
    MI: significant shift ( >1moa)
    ADM: hardware rusted very fast sitting on a shelf. I've no further experience.

Issues with my torque to 65 to 68 inch pound mounts: none. (Except a geissele that had the ring gaps so close it bottomed out against itself before reaching 15 inches torque on a kahles. Geissele made it right. Kahles took my measurements and said "in spec,sorry". I personally think the kahles was a bit tiny and geissele is trying hard to make idiotproof mounts that physically cannot harm an optic because they bottom out before over compressing the tube to the point of damage
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 12-04-2017 at 05:42 AM.

User Tag List