Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HR 38

HR 38

Anyone have details or an opinion?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

What BigFedGov touches, BigFedGov fucks up.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, for those who don’t want to look it up.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Unless it has been or will be screwed with in committee, I'm for it. States recognize driver's licenses, marriage licenses, birth certificates, and death certificates from other states. Carry permits should be afforded the same level of recognition.

Site Supporter
    Seriously good bill in its current form.
    Zero bad stuff in it.
    Even fixes the GFSZA for reciprocal license holders.

Seven thumbs up.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I hope this goes through, as someone who moves a lot. My family is getting ready for our next duty station this summer, if this passes I have one less thing to worry about.

Would make going back to visit my parents easier and neither Oregon or Washington recognize a Colorado permit. I had OR and WA permits when I lived in Oregon, I need to see if I can renew those without physically going up there. Would also be nice to be able to carry in L.A. where I have some friends. I doubt it'll pass but it would be nice. Already contacted my congresspersons in favor of it.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 11-29-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Given the very recent Supreme Court's refusal to hear appeals on Open Carry and "Assault" rifle cases, it seems likely to me that there may be a chilling effect on progress on the reciprocity front.....hope I'm wrong.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act On The Move | Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
    The U.S. House Judiciary Committee began markup today on H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017. The act may pass to the House floor as quickly as early next week. This important act would preserve your right to bear arms as you travel across state lines, and protect you from the current patchwork of varying state laws that can result in licensed owners unintentionally violating the law and suffering dire legal consequences. Your voice is needed now!

Representative Richard Hudson (R-NC-8) introduced the Act in January and has said about the committee hearing; “For me and the vast majority of Americans who support concealed carry reciprocity, this is welcome progress” Hudson continues “I want to thank Chairman Bob Goodlatte for his strong leadership to protect our Second Amendment rights.” The current version of the Act (which can be viewed at https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...e-bill/38/text ) includes wording that would allow citizens of permit less states to carry with identification only and no permit as long as they respect the concealed carry laws of the state they are in.

As Judiciary Committee Chairman Goodlatte said “This bill is about the simple proposition that law-abiding Americans should be able to exercise their right to self-defense, even when they cross out of their state’s borders, that is their Constitutional right.”

The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms urges you to contact your member of Congress today and ask them to co-sponsor and vote yes on H.R. 38 the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017. You can find your U. S. Representative using zip code search at https://www.house.gov/representatives or simply call the House switchboard at (202)225-3121 and ask to speak to your representative.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Trying to find the recorded vote I came across the markup session transcript. Interesting reading through some of this..
    https://judiciary.house.gov/wp-conte...Transcript.pdf (opens PDF file)

Among the many amendments offered was one to prohibit "permit shopping". For example, a California resident would not be allowed to get a permit from Arizona and then carry in California. This amendment was not adopted (8 Aye / 17 No).

The final vote was 19 Aye / 11 No, but I've not found a breakout by party. See page 306 for the final vote by name. If anyone wants to translate names to D's and R's, please let us know the results..

I've been searching for an amended version of HR 38 but so far have been unsuccessful. Searching the transcript, it appears only 2 amendments were added...

Issa - Extends LEOSA to Federal Judges
    King - Allows Congressmen from states without license programs to carry.

If the House can pass this (seems likely) and the Senate not screw it up (TBD), this appears to be an awesome Bill. I'm cautiously optimistic.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 12-01-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List