Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabe Suarez articles on low-light conditions

From the perspective of someone who is liability conscious, what do you want to sell in the aftermath of a shooting...

That you had positive visual confirmation of your target based on visual feedback from a 500+ Lumen light...

Or you thought it was something that you need to do shoot?

Which one is a rare porterhouse & Cabernet?

Many thanks to the OP, Chingy98, and to the many voices of reason who have contributed to this thread on this too-often-neglected topic. This thread inspired the following blog entry, and is quoted therein: https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/...ave-in-common/

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Many thanks to the OP, Chingy98, and to the many voices of reason who have contributed to this thread on this too-often-neglected topic. This thread inspired the following blog entry, and is quoted therein: https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/...ave-in-common/
    Thank you very, very much, Mas. Excellent article, I loved the bit on the "slob hunters" which is particularly relevant this month with the several negligent shootings while hunting in the news.

Pistol-forum.com is one of the very best, most informative sites on the gun-related internet, and there are many wise voices of experience in this particular thread.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    My OP has been referenced in a Mas Ayoob article. I think my work here is done. I'm taking the rest of the week off fellas! *mic drop*

(And I totally get that it's because of the other members comments and not my own.)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm constantly having to "clear" houses due to false alarm calls and burglaries in progress.

More than once, I have awoken homeowners fast asleep in their beds with the pistol at the low ready. I learned a long time ago to be sneaky and stealthy when doing so. Back when I was pretty fresh at the job, I was checking a fairly large residence on the outside and found a door unlocked. I started to go on in but something told me to keep checking the perimeter while keeping an eye on that unlocked door and awaiting my back up.

So the very next window I pass, I peer in and see the homeowner "clearing" his own house, double barrel shotgun in hand, and he's tippy toeing through. Bathrobe, slippers....the epitome of the frightened homeowner checking his crib. So I called it in and asked dispatch to call him and tell him I was in his back patio area and to not blast my direction with both barrels.

Real lucky that I listened to my voice in my head saying "Hey, keep checking before going in" because I feel like he was in the "shoot first" camp of thought. Plus, my third shift PD uniform at that agency was ball cap and bloused pants with blackened out nylon gear......not the typical PD uniform.

So yeah, it happens.......and it happens a lot since house alarms are notorious for going off for no reason and homeowners are also notorious for leaving doors unlocked.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Thank you very, very much, Mas. Excellent article, I loved the bit on the "slob hunters" which is particularly relevant this month with the several negligent shootings while hunting in the news.
    Great article, Mas. Thanks for linking to it.
    @LittleLebowski ... you forgot to thank Mas for not saying anything about the quality of the mods here.

Site Supporter
    Just a comment. There are quite a few trials where a spouse shoots the partner at night and claims that they saw a threatening figure in the dark. The trial asserts that it was on purpose and the lack of visibility was just a defense ploy. Obviously, having a WML or light near your self defense gun would throw a monkey wrench in your defense plans. I thought of this as I was once watching CourtTV that had such a trial. The wife shot hubby coming out of the bathroom. She claimed she could not see him clearly. What caught my interest was that the prosecution called an expert vision witness that I knew. He had written a chapter in a book I did on the application of Fourier analysis to visual illusions. He demonstrated that given her tested vision she could have identified him.

This comment should not influence your choice of SD illumination or constituted advice on marital woes.

The case where a father shot his daughter when she came home early and decided to scare him is horrific. I saw him interviewed. He decided to clear the house when she said Boo or whatever. He shot her. As she died in his arms she said: Daddy, I love you.

There was no need clear as he was outside, coming home and could have called the law and waited.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @LittleLebowski ... you forgot to thank Mas for not saying anything about the quality of the mods here.
    Rumor has it that they are fecal in nature.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

I just heard " the mods here are shit" in Mas' voice

It was awesome .
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    More than once, I have awoken homeowners fast asleep in their beds with the pistol at the low ready. I learned a long time ago to be sneaky and stealthy when doing so.
    Multiple posts in this thread have mentioned this now. Especially as my wife is a very light sleeper, I almost can't imagine not attacking someone standing in my room in the middle of the night. And I'm not talking about firing a weapon at an unidentified threat -- I agree with the wisdom in this thread at large when it comes to that. But doesn't the scenario you described have inherent risk of bad things happening? What I see as the risk in that situation, hypothetically, is me waking up to see you standing over me at which point I attack you viciously and end up getting shot to death by you. It's very possible I lack understanding about how and why you would do this.

User Tag List