Thread: Rear sights: 0,1, or 2 dots???

Rear sights: 0,1, or 2 dots???

In the past I've had 3 dot night sights (all same color), standard whites and my current setup of a red fiber optic up front and a straight black rear sight. I have been considering the Ameriglo I-dot pro vs the Hacks vs the Hack front site and two-dot rears.

I honestly don't pay much attention to the rear sight overall and wonder if there is really any benefit to having dots on the rear sight at all.

A trainer and LE buddy of mine recently stated, "In low light all you really notice is the outline [of the sights] and they both look solid black. Only time you can see all the dots is in solid black (once your eyes have adjusted) and this goes away as soon as you illuminate the threat."

What is the consensus on what's "best?"

EDIT: Current platform is M&P 9mm FS with above mentioned red fiber optic up front and black rear.
    Last edited by teamacacia; 01-21-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    -Doc Todd

Site Supporter
    The zero dot rear sight deficiency is covered in this thread:
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1811-Sights

Quote Originally Posted by teamacacia View Post
    A trainer and LE buddy of mine recently stated, "In low light all you really notice is the outline [of the sights] and they both look solid black. Only time you can see all the dots is in solid black (once your eyes have adjusted) and this goes away as soon as you illuminate the threat."
    This does not hold true with tritium 3-dot sights.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    The zero dot rear sight deficiency is covered in this thread:
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1811-Sights
    Do I correctly surmise that a blacked out rear sight might be better for longer range (>25 yd) shooting while two dot (followed by 1 dot) rear sights better for <25 yd shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    This does not hold true with tritium 3-dot sights.
    I''ve never done any super lowlight/no light shooting before so I can't verify that from experience. I usually have a surefire x300 light on the rail of my pistol at home and, in the dark, the light from the x300 illuminates both sights into "black" sights.
    -Doc Todd

Quote Originally Posted by teamacacia View Post
    I''ve never done any super lowlight/no light shooting before so I can't verify that from experience. I usually have a surefire x300 light on the rail of my pistol at home and, in the dark, the light from the x300 illuminates both sights into "black" sights.
    3-dot tritium sights are for when you don't have a light or you don't want to use a light.

They are the best option for low light conditions where there's enough light to identify your target but black sights aren't visible.
    The 3-dot tritium sights allow for far more precision under those conditions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    3-dot tritium sights are for when you don't have a light or you don't want to use a light.

They are the best option for low light conditions where there's enough light to identify your target but black sights aren't visible.
    The 3-dot tritium sights allow for far more precision under those conditions.
    Exactly - or when your light "takes a dump" on you, the batteries give out etc.

All I use is a single red dot...

User Tag List