Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VZ 58 - Any experiences?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I have a fair bit of trigger time in on one. I took it through a Hackathorn carbine class in which it ran very well, and I work fairly closely with a guy whose previous business was designing aftermarket parts for them. And one of my company's clients is the company that builds the Troy VZ-58 stuff. So I have a lot of VZ exposure.

I like them. I run mine with what could be considered the Troy rail and a T1, and a tac bolt release that allows me to drop the bolt with my index finger without shifting grip. Mag changes are pretty slick. I have a slightly extended mag release as well. Also a CTR stock on a VLTOR tube that I had, with a stock adapter that puts the tube in line with the barrel.

It's a good setup. I far prefer it to AKs that I have used in the past, not that I have the option in Canada. The popularity of the VZ in Canada does make it logistically practical in a way that AKs are in the US.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Out of curiosity, I put my VZ 58 on the scale today: 7.0 lbs. unloaded, no mag. That's with an RMR06, Inforce 6vx in an Elzetta ZRX mount, the FAB Defense handguards (it came with them, not my choice), and an ACE Ultra Lite stock on a Stormwerks receiver block. In comparison, my bone-stock AR (standard GI carbine handguards and stock, Aimpoint PRO on a QRP mount, no light, H2 buffer) comes in at 6.8 lbs. unloaded, no mag. The difference in weight is less than the weight of the light.

Yes, I can get the AR lighter (put an RMR on it too, swap the stock for a CTR or ACE Ultra Lite, lighter buffer), but even then the VZ stacks up pretty comparably. Once the new handguards come in, the VZ should drop a few more ounces I hope; the FAB Defense stuff is built like if the Russians finally discovered polymer <shudder>.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

This was one of the best impulse buys I ever made. Customer Service at Czechpoint rocks. Its my go to in 7.62 x 39. I would definitely agree there's some wicked edges to her, but shes a lightweight, sturdy, accurate build. Mags were still available even after the initial surge. Only recently have they tried up some.

Cheap new army surplus magazines for VZ 58 / CZ 858 / VZ 2008, never used

I have got new army surplus magazines for VZ 58 / CZ 858 / VZ 2008, never used (stocked for 40 years). But I violated something, so I can not say more. Sorry, I am not english speaking native..
    Last edited by el_nino; 04-17-2013 at 06:29 PM.

You are in violation of our FSOT policy el_nino. You can either modify your post or I will modify it for you then issue you an infraction.

Very popular up here in Canada. Tons of accessories made up here as well, optic mounts etc. Importable/exportable to the USA too.
    Guys really like them here as an alternative to the banned AK. They run forever and mags are easily found.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I prefer to wear gloves when shooting the VZ. The handguards get really toasty after just a mag and theres some sharp corners at the rear of the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    And there is the lesson in all of this....stick with factory original D-Technik/Czechpoint vz58's and avoid the Century guns like the plague.
    Old thread but just curious what the issue is with the Century guns. AIM Surplus has a package deal going currently for the VZ2008 and am looking for an excuse not to spend the money. Honestly a simple "they suck" would probably do, as i am easily talked out of spending money on guns I know next to nothing about. Just thought it would be a fun alternative.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Old thread but just curious what the issue is with the Century guns. AIM Surplus has a package deal going currently for the VZ2008 and am looking for an excuse not to spend the money. Honestly a simple "they suck" would probably do, as i am easily talked out of spending money on guns I know next to nothing about. Just thought it would be a fun alternative.
    They're horribly put together, no matter what clone you're talking about from Century. Their receivers are junk, too. Subpar materials, usually out of spec, ect.

Entire HK 'smithing business are built upon fixing CA93s, for example........and even then, they still can't get them to run sometimes.

If you took DPMS, Bushmaster, Taurus, and combined them together....it still wouldn't be the ball of suck that Century is. A Bushmaster Carbon-15 is probably a step up from any gun made by Century.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

For some reason century decided to put a slant MB from the akm on them instead of the original comp that the guns had, its an abomination!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

User Tag List