Thread: .22 for small hands?

.22 for small hands?

I'm looking for a .22LR pistol that will work for small hands. My Ruger Mk.II is too big and heavy for some of the smaller folks I'd like to take shooting. Hand size could be a women's small or extra-small glove.

The Ruger SR22 looks promising, but it is hard for me to judge how it would fit a much smaller hand.

All suggestions welcome!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Buck Mark URX grip works well for hands from small to large.

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...tical-urx.html

The Challenge series has the same frame with even smaller grip radius (no wraparound front with finger grooves).

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...-rosewood.html

To be clear, the grips on the two pistols linked above are interchangeable. The grip portion of the frame is smaller than the standard Buck Mark size. You can probably get Challenge-style grips direct from Browning, or Hogue sells G10s and aluminum panels that will go on any URX pistol. The good news is, URX pistols are common and inexpensive.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/browning/buckmark-urx

Even smaller than that is the Browning 1911-22. The "A1" sights are tiny and hard to use. The polymer frames seem embarrassingly cheap next to the alloy frames. The Black Label Medallion is the one model with better sights and an alloy frame. Its manual of arms is the same as a full-size 1911, so it makes a good youth trainer if you want the kiddos to be ready for JMB's masterpiece later.

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...full-size.html

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...n-compact.html

You'll likely find better pricing on a Buck Mark, and it's arguably a better gun. The triggers are better for sure, and the sights are better and adjustable. Mags are cheaper.

I have read that the 1911-22 trigger is enough like the original that a smith qualified to slick up the original will know what he's doing with the little Browning, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge on that.

Browning often has rebates for $25 or $50 on rimfire pistols, so unless you are looking at a "not going to see that again" deal, it's good to wait for a rebate. Black Friday will be here Soon.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-30-2017 at 09:25 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The M&P .22c is pretty tiny IMO.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Site Supporter

.22 for small hands?

I am interested in this as well. The basic Buck Mark is a little too big for my daughter to truly get a proper grip despite being smaller than some other options, although she manages to do reasonably well. The same gun with a smaller grip circumference and smaller trigger reach would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 10-30-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

While I can see how a Ruger Standard pattern pistol may be too heavy, it is well-suited for small hands. I know because I can wear a woman's small glove, and I have been shooting examples since 1973. There are options for those who want a lighter pistol.

1) The blued Mark IV pistols use an aluminum frame, so they are lighter. The 4.75-inch blued version weighs 28.2 ounces. The steel Mark III weighs 35 ounces, so the alloy frame saves 7 ounces.

2) A Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper can be used to replace the factory Ruger Standard through Mark III upper. The Pac-Lite upper weighs as little as 6.2 ounces. The Pac-Lite uppers make for a very light pistol.

3) One could choose the .22/45 Lite, which weighs 25 ounces.

4) The combo of a Mark III .22/45 and a 4.5-inch Pac-Lite upper should come in under 18 ounces. This is the lightest reliable .22 of my experience and is well suited to backpacking.

5) Some more expensive options, include a .22 conversion kit for a Glock 19.

6) While I have no personal experience with the SR22, a few shooting buddies have them and are pleased with the performance.
    Last edited by farscott; 10-31-2017 at 05:42 AM.

My daughter was 11 when she started shooting the stainless finish(shiny aluminum slide, I think)SR22 she picked out.

Runs great, mags are solid, available and affordable. It runs/cycles everything but CCI subsonic. Comes with sm. and large grip sleaves. Even the larger one is small in my adult male size med. hand.

Pretty small grip overall, and zero issues with 5,000 plus rounds over the last 3 years.

Early models are said to have some issues. Caveat Emptor.
    Last edited by Alembic; 10-31-2017 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    The M&P .22c is pretty tiny IMO.
    I just looked at my S&W M&P 22 Compact. Grip is pretty small. It is similar in height and length to a Glock 19, but the grip is much smaller.

Another vote for the SR22. Very nice, small, and light. Also, they come with 2 different sizes of grip sleeve, IIRC, so you can adjust the grip somewhat to the shooter's hand.

User Tag List