Page 75 of 250 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Interesting looking dog - what sort of fellow is Atticus? Some sort of Chihuahua mix?
    We got him from the clink so not 100% sure. Vet says mix between chihuahua and Lhasa Apso. He is a very good natured dog, not yappy or anything. He is somewhat stubborn lending credence to the lhasa apso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend of a friend was no longer able to keep this little guy so we got him.

As much if a sweetheart he is he's also a terrorizer. His name is Gunner, might keep it but not sure yet. 14 months old Boston Terrorizer.

Think for yourself. Question authority.

im looking for a perfect first pet for my 4 year old

Quote Originally Posted by pistolman View Post
    im looking for a perfect first pet for my 4 year old
    My GSD is awesome with my 4-year-old. And with my 3-year-old. I think with almost any dog, it will be all the more important to set and enforce clear boundaries of behavior - a dog can really hurt a little kid without meaning to.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Fuminator brush clone (MUCH cheaper), and 5 minutes or so on ONE side of my GSD. Highly recommend this brush. I've gotten three piles of fur like this from my freshly bathed dog and am finally making progress.

#RESIST

Watch "Tracking Trials in the back yard" on YouTube

+1 on the furminator, though I've only tried the original.

On a separate note, I need to find a good book about tracking training. My GSD gets bored with fetch... Unless it's in tall grass or woods so she has to sniff out the ball to find it. I don't know the first thing about tracking, but it's cool to watch her spend 5+ minutes doing a search pattern, making progress when the wind chimes up, taking forever in a dead calm. Never seen her so focused on a task. The clubs in my area don't start up until fall, but I don't think Charlie wants to wait...

Tracking Trials in the back yard: http://youtu.be/92ZO816swoI
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Fuminator brush clone (MUCH cheaper), and 5 minutes or so on ONE side of my GSD. Highly recommend this brush. I've gotten three piles of fur like ..
    We have one and I agree, great product.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    +1 on the furminator, though I've only tried the original.

On a separate note, I need to find a good book about tracking training. My GSD gets bored with fetch... Unless it's in tall grass or woods so she has to sniff out the ball to find it. I don't know the first thing about tracking, but it's cool to watch her spend 5+ minutes doing a search pattern, making progress when the wind chimes up, taking forever in a dead calm. Never seen her so focused on a task. The clubs in my area don't start up until fall, but I don't think Charlie wants to wait...

Tracking Trials in the back yard: http://youtu.be/92ZO816swoI

I am a big fan of the clicker training people in general, (but I don't own a dog, so no first hand experience). They have some books you might want to get

Tracking Books

The Canine Kingdom of Scent: Fun Activities Using Your Dog’s Natural Instincts
    $12.95
    Your dog rules when it comes to scenting ability, but you hold the key that allows him to learn how to explore his kingdom more fully. That key is your willingness to work with him in what dog trainers call nosework exercises and games. While your dog has a wonderful innate ability to scent, nosework will present fun and interesting challenges. These challenges will make your dog more physically and mentally fit, as well as help solidify your relationship with your dog.

Anne Lill Kvam's The Canine Kingdom of Scent provides all you need to know in terms of training techniques and tips so that you and your dog can both get all the benefits from nosework.

You will learn:

How to motivate your dog to follow a scent trail or find a hidden item through the use of positive reinforcement and effective rewards.

The importance of teaching your dog in step-by-step increments and allowing sufficient time for breaks and relaxation.

The best way to teach your dog the names of his toys, to find lost keys, and to retrieve items left on a track.

How to use the "pancake tracking" method to begin to teach your dog how to track.

How to keep your dog challenged as he begins to tackle more difficult tracking exercises.

Fun Nosework for Dogs
    $17.95

New expanded 2nd edition! Learn dozens of games to relieve boredom, teach important skills, build confidence, and improve performance in obedience, tracking, and other dog sports. These games are fun for both you and your dog and come from a variety of sources: TV, children's games, suggestions from other trainers, and more. Marked for degree of difficulty and special skills needed, the games presented in the book are generally designed for use in a class, and require multiple dogs to be really fun.

Fun Nosework for Dogs will help you teach your dog to enjoy using his nose and stimulate his primary source of information. An outstanding resource for trainers and owners, this book teaches specific techniques for tracking and advanced obedience!

I never had any reason to post here, so never bothered.

But earlier this week, my son convinced me to get up ass early this AM and drive him to a farm/breeder 85 miles away so he could have a doggy date. This was probably the 4th or 5th actual physical dates, with X's 10 in phone calls, emails, etc., but just had not found the right breed for our household, personalities, work & travel schedules. But, the little dude convinced me to take a look, and have several conversations/emails/texts about the dogs on the farm. He did convince me to get my wife and I up early, and take him to see the doggies, but had to remind him to not get his hopes up that he was getting a puppy, because this is an important, and life changing event.....even if we decided to take one, it wouldn't be today, as we would need to make preparations at home and be ready for a pet, not get the pet and try to get ready after the fact.

So we arrived, and met two different litters, 3 females in the first, and 3 males in the second. As my wife and approaced the females, who were playing on the lawn, our little fella was making his way to us. This little female pup comes over, little tail wagging a thousand miles and hour, with a pathetic little whimper that my son later said meant "Take me home". By the time he got up to us, this little girl walks over to him, gives the whimper. He reaches down, pets her, then stands up with a look on his face.........

I broke like a cheap watch.

We got home, with our pretty little lady addition to family.........the little guy got to play a little with the puppy during the drive, but because people in the Hampton Roads are of VA are absolute retarded drivers, our 90 minute drive took nearly 3 hours......so dude was getting hungry, and focused mostly on letting us know he was not happy being stuck in the car........

We got home & got some chow going, and took him out back for a picnic. He saw his cute little puppy, and the realization that the puppy came to OUR house, and was HERE, was personified again with a look and actions of excitement that I could not begin to try to articulate, but I had never seen such raw, genuine happiness and exitement. After a rough afternoon, and jumping through our asses to be able to have a new member of the family, we got her to settle in for a couple of pics.........

(BTW, all of the stated or implied "conversations" or other verbal communications with the child is all bullshit. Dude can only say Dada, Mama, and doggie. But he is STOKED about his new doggie)

That last picture.....who wouldn't break! Good job, Sean!
    #RESIST

User Tag List