Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Your ideal pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I don't mean to be snarky, but getting all hung up on the gun, as opposed to the shooting thereof, seems to miss the point, and actually run counter to the ethos of this forum.

I mean, sure, there are important considerations to be taken when considering the hypothetical "ideal pistol":
    • It should go bang.
    • More bullets are better than fewer bullets.
    • It needs to go bang.
    • All other things being equal, bigger bullets are better than smaller bullets.
    • If it doesn't go bang, none of this matters.
    • It would be nice if it weighed less than an anvil.
    • It really should go bang.

There's my checklist. Seriously, I can think of a half-dozen pistols you could put in a sack and tell me "Reach in and whichever one you pull out, you'll need to carry for the next year" and I wouldn't mind. It's the school of the sword of no sword.
    I have to admit it is kinda nice if they actually do go bang.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    "We should never despair, our situation before has been unpromising and has changed for the better, so I trust, it will again. If new difficulties arise, we must only put forth new exertions and proportion our efforts to the exigency of the times." --George Washington, letter to Philip Schuyler, 1777

I don't mean to be snarky, but getting all hung up on the gun, as opposed to the shooting thereof, seems to miss the point, and actually run counter to the ethos of this forum.

I mean, sure, there are important considerations to be taken when considering the hypothetical "ideal pistol":
    • It should go bang.
    • It needs to go bang.

There's my checklist. Seriously, I can think of a half-dozen pistols you could put in a sack and tell me "Reach in and whichever one you pull out, you'll need to carry for the next year" and I wouldn't mind. It's the school of the sword of no sword.
    You think me asking which gun people prefer and why is getting hung up "on the gun"? I was just curious what everyone on here preferred and why.

10mm4me, IMHO, it's an age/experience thing. When I started handgunning (1978), your choice was a 1911 that needed work right out of the box or a S&W M39/59 or a Browning HP and (if you could find them) SuperVel JHPs. Period, full stop, that's all she wrote.

Last year I purchased like NIB (used) a .40 S&W M&P that needed nothing. Loaded it with arguably the best anti-personnel ammo ever invented, stuck it in a well designed holster made from oil for less than I paid in 1982 for a Colt Commander and a Bianchi holster on a dollar to dollar ratio. No adjustment for inflation.

Huge sea changes over the last 34 years.

While I have some outliers, I'm happy with the G19/17 series or the S&W M&Ps. But if you told me I had to carry my M10 S&W 4 inch pencil barreled wheelgun or my M629 Mountain Gun, I'd be OK with that.
    Last edited by Al T.; 01-21-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: the M&P was used, but like NIB

• It should go bang.
    • It needs to go bang.

Exactly.....that should be a sticky !!!!

• It should go bang.
    • It needs to go bang.

Pretty good, but you forgot

When the gun goes bang, the bullets should go where I point them.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Pretty good, but you forgot

When the gun goes bang, the bullets should go where I point them.
    That's an end user issue. We don't point the bullets

Site Supporter
    Haven't found the ideal pistol yet...

0.40 caliber

15+ rd capacity

Reliability out to mean round between stops of 30,000+

Wide holster and parts availability

low bore axis

mid size frame.

The g22 comes close except for the large frame.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    low bore axis
    As a newer shooter, I don't get the whole bore axis bit. Between SIGs, Glocks, and 1911s, I shoot SIGs the best (accuracy and speed) which seems to go against the oft-stated premise that a higher bore axis should be more difficult to shoot. Not to mention, Todd proved that bore axis isn't as big a deal as most people claim with his P30 and HK45 tests. Just my $.02 before taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    10mm4me, IMHO, it's an age/experience thing. When I started handgunning (1978), your choice was a 1911 that needed work right out of the box or a S&W M39/59 or a Browning HP and (if you could find them) SuperVel JHPs. Period, full stop, that's all she wrote.

Last year I purchased like NIB (used) a .40 S&W M&P that needed nothing. Loaded it with arguably the best anti-personnel ammo ever invented, stuck it in a well designed holster made from oil for less than I paid in 1982 for a Colt Commander and a Bianchi holster on a dollar to dollar ratio. No adjustment for inflation.

Huge sea changes over the last 34 years.

While I have some outliers, I'm happy with the G19/17 series or the S&W M&Ps. But if you told me I had to carry my M10 S&W 4 inch pencil barreled wheelgun or my M629 Mountain Gun, I'd be OK with that.
    +1. That is gold.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by will_1400 View Post
    As a newer shooter, I don't get the whole bore axis bit. Between SIGs, Glocks, and 1911s, I shoot SIGs the best (accuracy and speed) which seems to go against the oft-stated premise that a higher bore axis should be more difficult to shoot. Not to mention, Todd proved that bore axis isn't as big a deal as most people claim with his P30 and HK45 tests. Just my $.02 before taxes.
    I make a big deal of low bore axis albeit less than I used to. But it's clear its not that significant of a factor. I am very distracted by the front sight jumping in recoil so if it jumps less I like that. But its clear this is mostly "software".
    Last edited by JHC; 01-22-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling. must be the software's fault
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List