Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your ideal pistol

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Ideal pistol?

You people have killed pistols for me. I don't have an ideal pistol anymore.

Since first posting here, I have gone from a bespoke personal weapon which cost like a used car and had every component, every jot and tittle, specifically chosen by me, based on consultation, consideration, and years of experience, all the way down to the brand of pins used and the angle and number of the cocking serrations, and now I'm carrying some disposable plastic wheelchock that could be fed into a wood chipper and replaced with any one of a quarter dozen different brands tomorrow without me caring the slightest. I hate you all.
    **TCinVa begins speaking into his watch** "I've got one here that can see!"

I maintain a bipolar relationship with firearms at this point.

On the one hand I have guns that I really, really, really love. I love my Garand. I love my nickel plated S&W Model 27 with the 6" barrel. I love my 3" model 10. I love my Walther PP. The round count on all those weapons since I purchased them is somewhere in the neighborhood of 150. Not each, total among them all, most through the Garand. The model 27, for instance, I've never even fired...primarily because I don't want to have to clean it.

On the other I have guns that are appliances for launching bullets. My H&K P30. My Glock 17. My S&W 442. As an appliance, I like my H&K. It's easy to shoot well, it is superbly accurate, it tolerates my borderline abusive neglect of maintenance without complaint, and it allows me to safely reholster in a loony carry position. My Glock 17 has been cleaned like 3 times since I've owned it. What time it doesn't spend at the bottom of the range bag or with an AA .22 kit on it is spent being dryfired. These guns have tens of thousands of rounds through them collectively. Some individually have over 10,000 rounds through them.

In practically any objective measure you can dream up, my Glock 17 is a superior sidearm to my S&W model 27. Still, I'd have no problem getting rid of the 17 to get a better appliance where even typing about getting rid of the model 27 in a theoretical almost breaks me out in hives. In a class, Ken Hackathorn told a few of us that when he first opened one of Glock's old tupperware boxes and held what would become the gun that literally changed the firearms world forever, he remarked to the person in the store that it was the first handgun that came from the box with zero pride of ownership. There may be something to that.

When I was a kid, I watched CHiPs because they carried Colt Python revolvers. I watched the A-Team primarily because I liked seeing those Ruger machine guns cycling and I always hoped to see Hannibal pull out his S&W semi-auto...and hopefully cock the hammer. I watched TJ Hooker...OK, I watched TJ Hooker primarily because of Heather Locklear, but you were always guaranteed to see some good S&W revolver glam shots in that show. I couldn't tell you what happened on a single episode of Hunter, but I remember that the dude carried an H&K (exotic!) and the chick packed a girly Walther. I read gun magazines in the convenience store and when I went to the library I managed to find the three books they had about guns and I would pour over the black and white photos from the 1960's showing old guys handling or shooting Pythons and Lugers and Woodsmans.

My dreams are filled with royal blue steel and walnut, but if assaulted my hand is likely to be filled with something disposable and plastic that will obediently spit out reasons for bad men to leave me alone until the magazine runs dry. I've made my peace with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I love my Walther PP.
    So you named yours Walther? That's cool, I call mine Asmodeus Rex.

Wait, what are we talking about?

Star Trek phaser first and foremost because of its vaporizing capabilities. Also its ability for easy point shooting as shown. lastly, obviously how bad ass you look holding it as show above as well.
    I feel that if a gun is good enough to protect something as important as a bar, then its good enough to protect my family. - Homer Simpson

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post

It's OK, man. I know that the combination of my awesome hair powers and my Super Leggera form is difficult to resist.

...or maybe you just spent too much time afloat surrounded by a bunch of dudes in your formative years. Either way.

Dude, that was funny.

Seriously though, good post TCinVA.
    It is ok to own guns for something other then a carry gun or life support equipment, and I am with you on the M1 Garand what an awesome weapon.
    "We should never despair, our situation before has been unpromising and has changed for the better, so I trust, it will again. If new difficulties arise, we must only put forth new exertions and proportion our efforts to the exigency of the times." --George Washington, letter to Philip Schuyler, 1777

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

...my nickel plated S&W Model 27 with the 6" barrel...
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...how-Off-Thread.

Also, if we are adding hypothetical pistols to this thread, then my ideal pistol would become a 10mm M&P on the midsize frame. This is assuming a cheap 10mm supply.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Every time I see this thread I think "ideal for what, exactly?" Because my ideal USPSA Limited gun looks a lot different than my ideal Bianchi Cup gun or my idea carry gun. I don't even know if I have an ideal carry gun, since my only criteria for a carry gun are "reliable, not shitty, and holds more than five bullets."

I used to have guns because they were cool and awesome things to have, like my Italian made 1951E Beretta. Now I have guns the same way a barber has scissors. This really hit me at SHOT, when people kept asking me what the coolest thing I had to have was, and I was like "uhh...." and then talked about shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Every time I see this thread I think "ideal for what, exactly?" Because my ideal USPSA Limited gun looks a lot different than my ideal Bianchi Cup gun or my idea carry gun. I don't even know if I have an ideal carry gun, since my only criteria for a carry gun are "reliable, not shitty, and holds more than five bullets."

I used to have guns because they were cool and awesome things to have, like my Italian made 1951E Beretta. Now I have guns the same way a barber has scissors. This really hit me at SHOT, when people kept asking me what the coolest thing I had to have was, and I was like "uhh...." and then talked about shotguns.
    The question was vague and open ended. Some people really like certain platforms, but stay away from them due to QC,QA issues (such as with Gen4 9mm's & M&P9fs). I just was interested in seeing what people on here prefered if those issues weren't issues anymore and why. Just a way about learning why people prefer different platforms and gauging different members interests, likes, and dislikes.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4me View Post
    The question was vague and open ended. Some people really like certain platforms, but stay away from them due to QC,QA issues (such as with Gen4 9mm's & M&P9fs). I just was interested in seeing what people on here prefered if those issues weren't issues anymore and why. Just a way about learning why people prefer different platforms and gauging different members interests, likes, and dislikes.
    I don't mean to be snarky, but getting all hung up on the gun, as opposed to the shooting thereof, seems to miss the point, and actually run counter to the ethos of this forum.

I mean, sure, there are important considerations to be taken when considering the hypothetical "ideal pistol":
    • It should go bang.
    • More bullets are better than fewer bullets.
    • It needs to go bang.
    • All other things being equal, bigger bullets are better than smaller bullets.
    • If it doesn't go bang, none of this matters.
    • It would be nice if it weighed less than an anvil.
    • It really should go bang.

There's my checklist. Seriously, I can think of a half-dozen pistols you could put in a sack and tell me "Reach in and whichever one you pull out, you'll need to carry for the next year" and I wouldn't mind. It's the school of the sword of no sword.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List