Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Punisher Skull on a Self Defense Firearm

Site Supporter
    dounle tap
    Last edited by HCM; 09-17-2017 at 01:52 PM.

This is kind of timely, since I have decided to take the plunge to buy my first select fire rifle. I decided to buy an STG44 Sturmgewehr. This was the first majorly adopted select fire assault weapon used by the Germans toward the end of WWII.

Name:  Fury best.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  39.3 KB

I realize that with the expense of ammo for it and the fact that it is an older weapon, I will not be able to fire it nearly as much as a more modern select fire weapon. But the bottom line is that it excites me more than the more modern guns--so that is my reason for wanting to buy one.

If it proves reliable I plan to press it into service as a home defense longarm. I cannot think of anything cooler than that. I will ultimately have to buy a second one to give me one to practice with a little bit, and another that has proven reliable to have for a home defense gun. The home defense longarm will stay in the safe until I am in for the night and go back to the safe when I am ready to go out. Obviously it will not be my main home defense gun as I have other guns that are kept ready as well as my carry guns.

Ideally, I need to find a way to mount an Aimpoint micro to it. I really like the gun, but for fuck sake this isn't WWII!

I am also going to see if I can get some type of custom handguard replacement made. The stock one is metal and heats up. I will approach Centurian arms about making a modern handguard for it that will let me mount Magpul rail panels to make it more manageable when it heats up and to allow me to mount a Surefure light.

Here is a video on the gun for those unfamiliar:

I realize that some people may think that using a WWII German rifle may have a negative connotation. I prefer to think of it as the gun used by Brad Pitt in the movie Fury. I am going to try to reclaim the gun's image just like the character Randall tried to reclaim the term "Porch Monkey" in the Kevin Smith film Clerks 2:

Last edited by Ed L; 09-18-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Your planning to press a 20 to 30 k weapon with 100 to 200 dollar mags into the home defense role..... Your money brother but if it was me then I'd rethink that some...

Don't get me wrong I'm all about the collectible stuff, but none of my WW1,WW 2 , preban originals or registered MG's are getting placed into home defense duty expect in the most extreme of circumstances. No matter what when the use of a MG for home defense comes up I always think of the Gary Fadden incident. While it was a while ago, I think a lot of the same bias is still there regarding full autos, SBR's and suppressors are "relatively" easy to explain, use of a machine gun.... not as easy. In the end Gary won, but it cost him alot.
    Last edited by rcbusmc24; 09-18-2017 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Added more stuff

I think he's being satirical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    This is kind of timely, since I have decided to take the plunge to buy my first select fire rifle. I decided to buy an STG44 Sturmgewehr. This was the first majorly adopted select fire assault weapon used by the Germans toward the end of WWII.

Name:  Fury best.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  39.3 KB

I realize that with the expense of ammo for it and the fact that it is an older weapon, I will not be able to fire it nearly as much as a more modern select fire weapon. But the bottom line is that it excites me more than the more modern guns--so that is my reason for wanting to buy one.

If it proves reliable I plan to press it into service as a home defense longarm. I cannot think of anything cooler than that. I will ultimately have to buy a second one to give me one to practice with a little bit, and another that has proven reliable to have for a home defense gun. The home defense longarm will stay in the safe until I am in for the night and go back to the safe when I am ready to go out. Obviously it will not be my main home defense gun as I have other guns that are kept ready as well as my carry guns.

Ideally, I need to find a way to mount an Aimpoint micro to it. I really like the gun, but for fuck sake this isn't WWII!

I am also going to see if I can get some type of custom handguard replacement made. The stock one is metal and heats up. I will approach Centurian arms about making a modern handguard for it that will let me mount Magpul rail panels to make it more manageable when it heats up and to allow me to mount a Surefure light.

Here is a video on the gun for those unfamiliar:

I realize that some people may think that using a WWII German rifle may have a negative connotation. I prefer to think of it as the gun used by Brad Pitt in the movie Fury. I am going to try to reclaim the gun's image just like the character Randall tried to reclaim the term "Porch Monkey" in the Kevin Smith film Clerks 2:

Wait you have that kind of money? Yowsa.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I think he's being satirical.
    It was satire. My apologies. I had some unsated Pfestivus left over in my system.

I am interested in buying an STG44, but I don't see using that as a home defense gun for reasons that are numerous and would derail the thread.
    Last edited by Ed L; 09-18-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Since you stated via PM that you attempted to troll the PFestivus thread with this and got no traction, I'm going to assume you are doing the same here and ask that you please stop.
    Again, my apologies.
    Last edited by Ed L; 09-18-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    It was satire. My apologies. I had some unsated Pfestivus left over in my system.

I am interested in buying an STG44, but I don't see using that as a home defense gun for reasons that are numerous and would derail the thread.
    Well now I feel stupid: translation situation normal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Well now I feel stupid: translation situation normal for me.
    Don't feel stupid. It was a carefully crafted piece that started out realistic and gradually veered into a parody.

Anyway, here is my view on the matter of punisher Logos and such.

I would try to stay away from any custom engraving that trivializes the serious, sober nature of the firearm. Thus, no Punisher logos, nothing with Zombies, etc. It doesn't add to the gun's defensive capabilities and can be seen as looking immature or goofy.
    Last edited by Ed L; 09-18-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Don't get me wrong I'm all about the collectible stuff, but none of my WW1,WW 2 , preban originals or registered MG's are getting placed into home defense duty expect in the most extreme of circumstances. No matter what when the use of a MG for home defense comes up I always think of the Gary Fadden incident. While it was a while ago, I think a lot of the same bias is still there regarding full autos, SBR's and suppressors are "relatively" easy to explain, use of a machine gun.... not as easy. In the end Gary won, but it cost him alot.
    A few factors about the Fadden incident:

1. It took place in the early 1980s when ARs were not the most commonly sold long arm in America, were not the most commonly carried long arm in police cars; it was a time when many police still carried revolvers often loaded with hollowpoints.

2. The shooting was the result of an escalated road rage incident where the shooter was viewed as a participant, as opposed to a home invasion situation where the homeowner is viewed as a victim:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.6ef57270a447

User Tag List