Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI CZ P01

RFI CZ P01

CZ helped to sponsor a match I was at last weekend. I was able to put a few magazines through a CZ P01 and really liked it a lot. I've been on the look out for a smaller carry gun as an alternative to the 229. This was very similar in size to the 239 that serves that role now and fit my hand really well. I looked at an EDC X9 a few months ago and the CZ seemed very similar in a lot of ways.

Does anyone here have any long term experience with a P01? What are the pros and cons? Any known issues?

Thanks in advance.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I've had several CZ's, including a P01. I sold the P01 to fund a 229 Legion. The cons for me were the trigger, and aftermarket sights. I eventually sent it off to CGW to have trigger work performed on it.

IIRC their isn't that much of a size difference between the 229 and the P01. My memory might be off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken the P01 is the model has some absurd amount of ammo run through it for the NATO test or something like that.

I googled it
    http://cz-usa.com/press-release/cz-p...rfect-pistols/

I mean it's not exactly a torture test but very few pistols are independently tested by a gov org so that's something.

I haven't dug into it yet but I wonder about a few specific things. Sight options, holster options, and magazine availability. Also wonder if there are any rusting issues. Finally I know that some CZ's have trigger return springs that are not very durable.

I don't want to be a special snowflake and knowing that they're not a pistol is high use makes me wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sights: definitely not as many options as more mainstream pistols. There are a wide array of fiber optic and competition-oriented sights. For night sights there are traditional options as well as Truglo TFX.

Holsters: Not sure what type of holster you prefer but I think you will find that most/all of the big holster makers will have holsters for CZ's

Magazines: Mec-Gar mags are 25 bucks. 14-30 round capacity options. Considering the CZ-75 and its clones/derivatives is the most widely copied handgun on earth I don't think magazine availability will be an issue.

Never heard of any rusting issues on any CZ.

Trigger Return Springs (TRS) are an issue from what I've heard, although I've not broken one on my P-07 after 2,500+ rounds and probably 7-10K dryfire presses. The CGW reduced power TRS is said to last much longer, probably wise to change out every 10,000 trigger pulls to be safe. Also definitely get the CGW firing pin roll pin, fixes one definite weakness in the CZ design.

I suggest the Omega model for better durability and easier disassembly. However, finding one in stock is practically impossible for the time being.

Compared to a P229 the CZ is 4-6 ounces lighter, much shorter grip, much thinner especially with thin grips, and only gives up 1 round in capacity in a flush fitting mag.

You'd have to search. But, there was an extensive P-01 thread a few years back.

I tried one for a while. But, after it choked pretty severely in Tom Givens class due to Texas and in the magazines (rounds nose diving in the magazine and such) I traded it off. I did switch to a G19 for the rest of that class with no issues.

I did change to wolff springs for the magazines and ran about another 500 through those mags before selling it. I did enjoy the pistol, I just lost faith in it. Only an example of one. Many in the old thread really had nothing but boring reliability with theirs.

Found one of the old th
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....M-or-Try-DA-SA
    Last edited by imp1295; 07-01-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added thread link

Tic Tactical Timmy pretty much summed it up, I have a few CZ's and to date all have been boringly reliable. CGW is probably one of the best sources for parts both factory, and their own. With just a few parts changes (mostly springs) you can reduce your DA trigger pull by about 50%, if you do the work yourself it'll cost you about $80 in parts. CZ's are excellant pistols they may not be as mainstream as Glock, or Sig, but beleive me, they don't make junk. Mags aren't hard to find,and they're not that expensive, things like grips, holsters are also easy to find, sight are a little harder but usually Dawson has, or can make what you want.

RFI CZ P01

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Tic Tactical Timmy pretty much summed it up, I have a few CZ's and to date all have been boringly reliable. CGW is probably one of the best sources for parts both factory, and their own. With just a few parts changes (mostly springs) you can reduce your DA trigger pull by about 50%, if you do the work yourself it'll cost you about $80 in parts. CZ's are excellant pistols they may not be as mainstream as Glock, or Sig, but beleive me, they don't make junk. Mags aren't hard to find,and they're not that expensive, things like grips, holsters are also easy to find, sight are a little harder but usually Dawson has, or can make what you want.
    Thanks for the input. I'm starting to lean toward a P07. Seem to be a lot more aftermarket support for that series.

Are you out of SEK Ralph? You know Trooper Littlepage?
    Last edited by MGW; 07-02-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm starting to lean toward a P07. Seem to be a lot more aftermarket support for that series.

SEK? I don't know what that is, and no, I don't know Trooper Littlepage..

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post

P07 is a great choice. The straight feed angle helps it to be incredibly reliable; though for the sole purpose of CCW I would recommend the P01 if money is no issue as it is a bit more compact.

With the possible exception of holsters the aftermarket on the P01 is better though since it is based on the original CZ75, particularly the non-omega model.

User Tag List