Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JRC's Appendix Holster

The picture of the AIWB with the reduced area under the dust cover was on spec to a customers request. Every holster I do is custom to order, so there will be some variations. I can do what ever a particular customer needs if I have a clear understanding of what they want.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

JV any updates?

I was looking at his holsters and was thinking of trying one out. How well does it conceal compared to the shaggy? I would presume that it would print a little more but be a little more comfortable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    JV any updates?

I was looking at his holsters and was thinking of trying one out. How well does it conceal compared to the shaggy? I would presume that it would print a little more but be a little more comfortable.
    Good so far. After tomorrow's range trip, I plan to post up my thoughts. I planned to do it this weekend, but family stuff took a higher priority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    After tomorrow's range trip
    Which might not happen! I opted to write down my thoughts now, rather than make you guys wait until my schedule clears up. Standby.

Site Supporter
    I don't normally do gear reviews, or AARs for that matter, but I wanted to write down my thoughts about this holster.

After 1000 rounds and about 500 presentations - I might prefer this over my Shaggy! That's a bold statement from me because I consider the Shaggy to be *almost* perfect.

When I initially received this holster, I had mixed emotions. The leather work was clearly fantastic, but the ride height was way too high. With a Glock and a 1.5" belt, when the bottom of the belt lines up with the forward edge of the trigger guard - the ride height will be pretty good.

Here's a pic of how it arrived:

I fired off an email to JR mentioning the ride height problem, and he was very quick to reply and was anxious to resolve the issue. We exchanged more than a few emails and talked on the phone a good bit. In the end, we have a great fix. He built a new loop that sits lower and is adjustable!

With the loop lifted up, here is a picture of the adjustment holes:

With the belt loop issue resolved, I focused on the butt tuck adjustment. In the first picture, you'll notice there is a removable disc near the trigger guard. It's supposed to contact the belt pushing the grip in to the body. It worked pretty well with a leather belt, but because of the stiffness of the Wilderness belt (5 Stitch), mine didn't make contact. The fix was very easy since it's adjustable, I just added another disc. That's the beauty of this new loop AND the adjustable disc system. You can customize the ride height and grip/butt tuck. I suspect this will fill a big void in the market.

I have no printing problems with this setup. But, I can see where it might print for some people that have more girth. To fix that, a lower profile belt loop would help a good bit. The good news is that one is in the works; it's a Kydex reinforced leather loop. Once that loop is finished, I think he'll have a real money maker. After all, it's a high quality AIWB holster that's adjustable for ride height and grip tuck.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. To be honest, I wish I had one for a Glock 34!!

Thanks for your evaluation of this holster JV. It's great to see another leather option out there!

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
    AKA: SkyLine1

Thanks for sharing the review
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Site Supporter
    Can you please post a good picture of the back side of this holster? The part that faces your body.

Great info....! And the adjustable-height belt loop with stiffener would be the shizzle.
    I have a similar leather loop holster that I would like to be stiffer.

Thanks.!
    Edit: Oops.. forget that photo... I see it in the original post now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    And the adjustable-height belt loop with stiffener would be the shizzle.
    Just to clarify: I find the current adjustable leather loop to be sufficiently stiff. The issue is there are 3 pieces of thick leather between the back of the belt and the holster body. While it's not a problem for me, it might be too thick for some people. I don't think it protrudes any more than a Shaggy, but the leather loop is about .25" longer (going toward the sights), which can print. To make it smaller he will have to use something other than leather to offer rigidity, in this case, he's looking at Kydex.

Even without the smaller loop, this holster is great fit for me. If the smaller loop makes it conceal better for a wider range of people - awesome. I'd certainly like to try the new loop. Normally, I'd be worried about it making the grip print more, but because the inward angle of the grip is adjustable via the disc - I think/hope it'll be a non issue.
    Last edited by JV_; 01-18-2012 at 07:46 AM.

JV, Thanks for the nice review of the CDA holster. I should have something worked up on the belt loop in short order for those that need a slightly thinner option.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

User Tag List