Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment?

I have this thing where I can't support a company that basically steals another companies design for themselves.

I'll humbly throw my IWB holster out there for your review, the Trotac Trojan Horse. I wear one 10-12 hours a day at work (G23 with Surefire X300) and I sometimes forget it is there. I also wear at 3:30-4:00. It is an original design of mine, and obviously the "wings" serve to distribute weight and spread the load, making for a more comfortable rig. This is an OLD pic, but the main difference in this one and my new stuff is that I cut the front panel differently.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...IWB/Detail.bok

I wore Raven's for a long time before I started making my own, and they have excellent customer service as has been mentioned. A LOT of people use aspects of their designs (and a lot of people straight up copy their stuff, as you said). I certainly have some Raven influence in some of my gear, but there are plenty of things I've changed that make my gear different, and it is constantly evolving even now.

Quote Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
    I have this thing where I can't support a company that basically steals another companies design for themselves.
    Me too, that's why I refuse to buy a Jones Tactical belt.
    Chemist.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I recently ordered a Crown holster (http://www.crownholsters.com) that looks identical to these and took about a week to get (longer now), but I can't compare the quality since I haven't owned the others. I like it though and it does the job.
    I also had a light-bearing Crown for my P2000/TLR-3.

I thought its quality was fine, and it did what it was suppose to do. I ended up just not liking the rig....

1) Belt loops are too tight for a leather belt unless you like skinning the leather. I think these were made with riggers belts in mind.
    2) I simply prefer AIWB.
    3) Pretty awkward IWB. It felt like I had shoved a cafeteria tray down my pants.

I don't understand why anyone would buy an RCS when you've got other makers out there making the same product for significantly lower wait times and prices while still giving lifetime, no question asked warranties. I could care less if they're copycats because the design isn't patented, ergo Raven doesn't give a crap.

I'm amazed that no one has copied the Shaggy.....incorporated some design features, yeah, but no copycats.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would buy an RCS when you've got other makers out there making the same product for significantly lower wait times and prices while still giving lifetime, no question asked warranties. I could care less if they're copycats because the design isn't patented, ergo Raven doesn't give a crap.
    Maybe because RCS doesn't have those issues. They may copy the basic design but they miss some of the little perfections that RCS that built into their holster over the years.

I'm amazed that no one has copied the Shaggy.....incorporated some design features, yeah, but no copycats.
    Put it in a video with Chris Costa and watch the copycats pile up.

LOVE my Phantoms. I have 3 for my G21. One set up OWB, a second set up OWB and a third as backup. I carry the 21 with an X300 and the Raven is super comfy. Have had my gun on IWB for over 12 hours now. Took a walk at the park, rode the childrens train around with my son... still don't feel it.

Ravens customer service is also second to none IMO. I had one of my overhooks break after a year of use and abuse. When I sent them an email asking where on their website I could find the hooks, Tom replied back telling me they no longer made them cause they didn't feel like it was the best solution and that they switched to loops. He then sent me a free set of loops, no questions asked.

I don't understand why anyone would buy an RCS when you've got other makers out there making the same product for significantly lower wait times and prices while still giving lifetime, no question asked warranties.
    Are they all the same quality? And do they all give 'lifetime, no questions asked warranties'? What if one of those other makers out there doesn't offer a warranty, and writes a blog post invoking the FTC to explain away why they don't offer a warranty, and why anybody who does offer a lifetime warranty 'doesn't really mean it.'

And then RCS comes in and offers: "If the manufacturer is unable or unwilling to honor his warranty, I will cover it under mine...I will replace every piece of your carry rig as if you were one of our customers and had a breakage on a holster we made."

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95363
    This type of customer service exemplifies why companies like RCS & PSS should be rewarded, and alternatives be approached with caution.

And what about all these hobby kydex makers springing up out of the woodwork who get in over the heads and may not even be around to honor the warranties on their product tomorrow?

Not to say there aren't quality alternatives to RCS, but let the buyer beware. I've seen too many instances of "X new holster maker offers such and such" and then 6 months later you've got commitments being unfulfilled on time, folks wondering where their gear is, previously active web and phone presences being impossible to get ahold of and other problems.
    Last edited by G60; 12-31-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Maybe because RCS doesn't have those issues. They may copy the basic design but they miss some of the little perfections that RCS that built into their holster over the years.

Put it in a video with Chris Costa and watch the copycats pile up.
    True that on Chris Costa. There's a lot of people with a man-crush on him. Curious, what sort of small perfections does RCS have in their Phantom over other guys' Phantom copies?

Quote Originally Posted by G60 View Post
    Are they all the same quality? And do they all give 'lifetime, no questions asked warranties'? What if one of those other makers out there doesn't offer a warranty, and writes a blog post invoking the FTC to explain away why they don't offer a warranty, and why anybody who does offer a lifetime warranty 'doesn't really mean it.'
    Same quality? I don't know, but mine worked fine. As long as it works, I could really care less about aesthetic quality....it's kydex, not a Del Fatti. I have no idea what "FTC" stands for. I thought I addressed the warranty part here:

making the same product for significantly lower wait times and prices while still giving lifetime, no question asked warranties.
    Here's Crown's warranty.

I don't see how RCS warrantying other makers therefore means that the other makers should be approached with caution....that's pretty ridiculous. Good for RCS, I never doubted their exemplary CS. I don't see how them having awesome business ethics somehow means other makers who still stand by their word should be approached with caution. I can get a holster for almost half the price elsewhere.....and when I did, I ordered it on Saturday and got it Friday....and the guy will still fix it if it's defective.

As to a small business going under, that's a good point and with RCS's fanboy base then they've likely got a better chance of surviving. If the lifetime warranty is important to you, then I guess it's worth the extra money for you. Personally, I just want to know that the maker will fix it if it's defective. If I break something from use and not due to defects, even if they warranty it, I'll probably be getting a different holster that I don't break in my standard usage...so it's a moot point to me personally.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

True that on Chris Costa. There's a lot of people with a man-crush on him. Curious, what sort of small perfections does RCS have in their Phantom over other guys' Phantom copies?
    Costa it's a double edged sword, it's great that RCS is doing well, but I remember when I thought waiting a month was a long time for my RCS holsters.

Anyways a good example, unlike your Crown holster I can feed a typical leather gun belt through the belt loops just fine (I use leather if I have to tuck my holster behind a shirt). And IMO they are the most comfortable of their type. I've worn it for many hours on end IWB, including classes, and a 18 hour drive.

Honestly if you look at holsters from them over the years you can see the changes, from the obvious belt loop materials to subtle changes in how the holster is molded.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax17 View Post
    Hey all,

Just wondering what everyone thought about the Raven Concealment phantom modular holster? Looking for a good IWB holster for 3:30 carry. Currently have a Blade-tech phantom, it's works, but looking for something better.

Thanks,
    Max
    So the above is the original post.

Curious how this thread has become a my favorite kydex holster maker is awesome/no your holster maker sucks and stole the design from my favorite holster maker kind of thing.

User Tag List