Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR ammo - what do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    A/S, got mine in 2009. So his was from ~ late 2009 to 2010ish. Yes, his extractor blew out.
    Hmmm...I'd be surprised if the extractor failure was a direct result of the ammo; of course, I can't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    I may throw a scope on my 15-22 and see what sort of groups I can get with various types of ammo. I stuck a RDS on mine and never looked back.
    I started out with a cheap red dot on mine, but once I saw how well the rifle shot (~2MOA) I went with a Leupold 1.5-4x and never looked back.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Not sure if this has been mentinoed yet, but Wolf .22 is actually really good stuff. That and their 12ga are manufactured by some Western European country whose name escapes me. The rest of their ammo typically comes swept up off the floor of an eastern european cartridge plant but their .22 is really quite accurate and very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentinoed yet, but Wolf .22 is actually really good stuff. That and their 12ga are manufactured by some Western European country whose name escapes me.
    Wolf .22LR is manufactured by SK.

(Not really important; just passing-on the info)

I did a sandbag test with my Ruger 22/45 with 2MOA red dot at 25 yards and found the following:
    Remington Gold bulk averaged 2" groups and about one in 75 were duds that would fire on the second try.
    Federal bulk averaged just slightly over 2" and no duds.
    CCI Mini-Mags 36gr HP averaged 1 1/4" and no duds.
    I practice with the bulk and shoot plated matches with the CCI Mini-Mags.

CCI Blazer is probably my favorite for general shooting. Their more expensive offerings (mini-mags, stingers etc) would be my go-to for hunting or pest control.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

CCI mini-mag and Federal Automatch have been good to me.

GemTech has a custom .22LR load that shows some promise. Engineered for reliable and accurate use in suppressed pistols (probably the most finicky firearms in general), uses a 42gr projectile, clean burning powder, and max variation of less than 20fps through a 10 shot string.

Certainly not the cheapest .22LR out there, but I am willing to pay a little extra for reliability and accuracy.

I have a case on order. MTF once it arrives and I have had a chance to wring it out.

ETA......... GemTech also sells this by the case. Just so it is clear, as I have had numerous people asking where I buy my bulk .22 ammo. If this stuff is all it is claimed to be, I will be buying direct from GemTech by the case.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 01-26-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I am sold on the GemTech. It is more expensive than Blazer, but is also reliable and accurate in every single one of my numerous .22's, including my mostly problematic 1911 .22. It is also subsonic, making it ideal for suppressed weapons. I bought a case factory direct with dealer pricing, and it came in under $400 delivered.

I am also getting ready to make another 15k purchase of Blazer to feed the latest machinegun. At 1200 rounds per min, can't justify the premium ammo.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

.22 LR ammo - what do you use?

Just about anything but Remington.

I've had the best results from CCI Mini-mags, Winchester Super-X, Federal Automatch, and Aguila Super.

I picked up a Savage MK II recently and finally had a chance to put it through its paces today. The largest groups were shot with CCI Velocitor, but it extracted 100%. Groups were tighter with the Mini Mags, but I had serious extraction issues here. As in, one out of two would fail to extract first try. Drop the mag, run the bolt forward, and it would extract just fine on the second try. The award for smallest group goes the the CCI Standard Velocity that I also use for bulk/plinking. These also extracted 100%. The smallest group today was 1 1/4", but that doesn't mean much since I'm not sure of the distance. Probably between 100 and 110 yards.

I'm interested to try the Wolf Match stuff, since many folks have apparently used it to good effect in the MK II.

User Tag List