Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 LR ammo - what do you use?

I use Federal Bulk pack from Walmart for plinking and general practice. I've found it to be the most reliable of the cheap bulk ammo. My bullseye gun (Ruger Mk3) gets the Aguila SVSE from the CMP. Off the bench, it shoots a ragged hole at 50 feet and it doesn't cost that much. (I think prices have gone up, but I bought 3 cases at $200/case so I'm set for years.

Hollow points won't effect accuracy. The brand/flavor of the cartridge is much more sensitive in individual .22s.

Strong second to the idea of testing ammo before buying a large quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Strong second to the idea of testing ammo before buying a large quantity.
    This is usually a good thing to do.

I kinda took a chance today, though. I ordered 5000 rounds of Fiocchi, but am not too worried because all the Fiocchi 9mm, .38, .357 and .32 ACP I've fired has been top-notch stuff, and the reviews on ATG were only positive (admittedly limited in quantity, though).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

No. Mini Mags are very different. On average, Mini Mags group better for me, but Blazer is my 1st choice for bulk ammo.
    do you shoot the jacketed mini mags? thats probably where you difference comes from

No such thing as jacketed .22LR. It's a copper wash. .22LR uses a heel to fit the bullet to the case. Be darned expensive to make jacketed bullets for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvK9QlQtrKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdNkf...eature=related

Fiocchi

That was the one brand that I found when searching the internet which was not mentioned on this thread. Did they just start manufacturing .22LR? They appear to be a little more expensive than the more mainstream stuff.

What is the difference between the "copper plated" solid point and the basic lead solid point ammo? Why do they make both?

I can't help but re-emphasize what the others have mentioned about trying before buying in bulk. I have several .22's, and unfortunately, they don't all like the same stuff which forces me to have to buy 2 types of bulk .22 ammo. It took a couple of years to sort out which gun liked what, but I would suggest buying 50/100 round boxes before going any further. Even a 500 round brick, while not bank breaking, can be frustrating when you have 485 rounds of it lying around, and not one of your guns will shoot it.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I have seen a lot of inconsistency in the size/shape of Federal hollow points, which could contribute to their lower accuracy. CCI hollow points appear much more consistent.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

No such thing as jacketed .22LR. It's a copper wash. .22LR uses a heel to fit the bullet to the case. Be darned expensive to make jacketed bullets for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvK9QlQtrKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdNkf...eature=related
    At least you knew what i meant

digiadaamore, no problem. I don't mind making corrections as needed.

Fiochhi: That was the one brand that I found when searching the internet which was not mentioned on this thread. Did they just start manufacturing .22LR? They appear to be a little more expensive than the more mainstream stuff.

What is the difference between the "copper plated" solid point and the basic lead solid point ammo? Why do they make both?
    I played with a couple of bricks of Fiochhi. Shot fine, though not good enough in my firearms to be a bulk buy.

As for copper washed vrs. plain lead, very, very generally, copper washed bullets are super-sonic while plain lead is not. The copper washing cuts down on lead fouling when the bullet is fired.

User Tag List