Thread: MSA/Sordin, Headband vs Neckband

MSA/Sordin, Headband vs Neckband

Merry Christmas everyone,

Yesterday morning I opened up my Christmas present to find a pair of MSA/Sordin Supreme Pro X ( ). The only issue was they bought me the neckband version on accident.

I wore them yesterday to test them out, shots seemed very loud. When I pressed in on the headphones the decibels were reduced. I usually wear Surefire EP3 for reference

Is this specific to electronic ear protection? I don't want to damage my hearing and I'm thinking the headband model may clamp them closer on my head.

Which do you guys prefer the headband or the neckband?

Thanks

I use the headband version of Sordins find them to be fairly comfortable. Keep in mind, that they don't have a very high NRR rating.

I have the Sordin headband version. They are comfortable, even more so with the gel kit that is optional. Occasionally I will wear plugs underneath them when I shoot inside. Not always but some. I have weenie ears and by and large they are fine for me. If I'm by myself on the range I'll wear high rated passive muffs. The Sordin's are great for outdoors and class environments.

Congrats! I have the same ear pro and I like the neck band. I used a set of Tac 6's that were similar before I bought the Sordins. I like the way they fit under hats, etc., they also let me get a better cheek weld with a rifle (may be my imagination but I believe it). I'd recommend buying the gel cups. I've always used them and have never had a sealing issue. FWIW I have a 7 3/4 - 7/8 dome. I wear these a minimum of 4-6 hours per week at the range year round and no issues.

In my experience though it seems you either like them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    Congrats! I have the same ear pro and I like the neck band. I used a set of Tac 6's that were similar before I bought the Sordins. I like the way they fit under hats, etc., they also let me get a better cheek weld with a rifle (may be my imagination but I believe it). I'd recommend buying the gel cups. I've always used them and have never had a sealing issue. FWIW I have a 7 3/4 - 7/8 dome. I wear these a minimum of 4-6 hours per week at the range year round and no issues.

In my experience though it seems you either like them or not.
    I received those gel cups as a gift as well. I tried them first without and installed the gel ones out on the range. I think I'll end up doubling up on ear protection. Note this is outdoors

I'm just wondering if the headband model would fit my head better. The neckband model doesn't have any real adjustment besides the top part.

I got a neckband set for Christmas. Used em for the first time at the range tonite (indoor). I also got the gel inserts and the cloth ear covers and they worked great except for when the open guys were shooting, but that's been the case with any ear pro I've used.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

JRas, you mentioned that when you pressed in on the headphones the decibels were reduced. Do you feel like the pads inside the cups press against your ears with any kind of pressure? You might want to try the MSA Sordin Supreme III Pro+...these have a slightly deeper ear cup that worked better for me than the Pro-X (far more comfortable and provided a much better seal, and they also have a higher NRR). As I understand it both models have the same electronics. As others have mentioned the gel seals are a good addition, and using eye protection with low-profile earpieces helps too (I love the ESS Crossbow Suppressor).

BTW I also velcroed a thin piece of foam (like that used for fitting bicycle helmets) to the underside of the headband for comfort...before that the top of my head would get sore during extended use, with that minor change I had no discomfort even during a two-day tactical pistol course.

User Tag List