Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA Carry Guard?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Hopefully they'll be willing to accept useful feedback to improve the program when issues pop up.
    NRA...No Reviews Allowed...?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    On a tangential note, I'm not sure which particular skillset LEOs or Special Operations Forces bring to civilian concealed carry. Perhaps if the LEOs have a pedigree in undercover work or the SF guys have particular experience in executive protection or other low profile affairs, I can see it.
    It's more than that; it's the attitude about application of deadly force. LEOs typically see deadly force as a last alternative while mil typically see it as the only alternative. Both are problematic for the civilian CCW carrier. If you're going to implement training start with a discussion about force and deadly force. The goal is to understand that shooting is a tiny part of the problem but the most unforgiving. Unless the training addresses rapid problem solving in a high threat environment, the training starts from the wrong paradigm.

It looks like basic grip, stance, trigger pull, etc. is phase 1 with low-light ops as phase 2. How about something like MUC as the first phase?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKilla View Post
    It's more than that; it's the attitude about application of deadly force. LEOs typically see deadly force as a last alternative while mil typically see it as the only alternative. Both are problematic for the civilian CCW carrier. If you're going to implement training start with a discussion about force and deadly force. The goal is to understand that shooting is a tiny part of the problem but the most unforgiving. Unless the training addresses rapid problem solving in a high threat environment, the training starts from the wrong paradigm.

It looks like basic grip, stance, trigger pull, etc. is phase 1 with low-light ops as phase 2. How about something like MUC as the first phase?
    The very first thing students will see is a basic explanation of use of force law.

Site Supporter
    Taken from the link above

"JAMES JARRETT (ABD – ph.d.). MS...His education includes a Bachelor of Science, summa cum laud in Criminal Justice, a Master of Science degree in Justice Studies, and holds standing as (ABD-Ph.D.) in Law and Social Control"

Query for the Ph.D holders/active seekers here- where,if anywhere, is it customary to refer to yourself in the manner above? Am I to infer that he has completed all of his course work but not his dissertation when I see "ABD"? To my JD earned from a very modest ABA accredited state school/1st attempt bar exam passing/license holding mind, I cannot help but think he is trying to create the impression amongst those not in the know that he holds a Ph.D from an unnamed institution along with his BA and MS from other unnamed institutions. Am I being too cynical?

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Taken from the link above

"JAMES JARRETT (ABD – ph.d.). MS...His education includes a Bachelor of Science, summa cum laud in Criminal Justice, a Master of Science degree in Justice Studies, and holds standing as (ABD-Ph.D.) in Law and Social Control"

Query for the Ph.D holders/active seekers here- where,if anywhere, is it customary to refer to yourself in the manner above? Am I to infer that he has completed all of his course work but not his dissertation when I see "ABD"? To my JD earned from a very modest ABA accredited state school/1st attempt bar exam passing/license holding mind, I cannot help but think he is trying to create the impression amongst those not in the know that he holds a Ph.D from an unnamed institution along with his BA and MS from other unnamed institutions. Am I being too cynical?
    You are right on the money and a reason why I posted the link. Nobody should be listing their ABD (All but Dissertation) status that way unless they are trying to muddy up where they are at. You are either ABD or you are a Phd and not both mixed. For those outside the academic realm if you didn't complete your dissertation and defend it you are not a Phd. Since a Masters degree is much of the Phd class and testing work the dissertation is THE component of a Phd. It is kind of like saying "i've done all the work except the main part"

Site Supporter
    Interesting article regarding the NRAs carry guard instructors. Bear in mind the author is affiliated with ACLDN.

http://misfiresandlightstrikes.com/2...ampaign=buffer

What I found most interesting was not the article itself but some of the facebook comments from individuals with great credibility in the firearms training industry including " Not to mention Jarrett's affiliation with the LAPD was in its Red Squad during the late '60s." and "Jarrett is a giant fraud".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    NRA...No Reviews Allowed...?
    Ha ha! They need a suggestion box

I believe all NRA certified instructors got an email last friday inviting them to apply to become NRA Carry Guard instructors.

One can do so at:
    https://www.nracarryguard.com/traini...-an-instructor

I'm lazy and it's the internet, so I haven't researched it, but I'd expect that an NRA / Lockton Affinity insurance program should be able to substantially undercut all the competition in the insurance space just by virtue of the membership numbers. Maybe it's going to be amazing and change the world, certainly it's not a thing that's not needed... that's why a bunch of clever people had these ideas first, years ago, and this has a certain uncomfortable feel to it?

ETA: email stated that the insurance is here, but instructor app and qual process launch this summer, sign up to find out later.
    Last edited by TDA; 05-03-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I think some FBI agents are arrogant prigs and that DEA is sometimes out of control.

(Fortunately I'm still able to keep my finger off the trigger when I draw...and more fortunately for everyone else, I won't be offering training to the public at large. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List