Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Appleseed

I'm pretty set on attending one of these this summer in NM.

Any new info/experiences to share?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I went to 2 a few years ago. Qualified with my CZ-452 LUX on my first shoot, didn't quite make it with a Garand that had a poorly fitted stock at my second shoot.

Great experience. Take a new shooter and a .22. Most people come away pretty damn surprised at how accurate you can be with iron sights.

One day I'll make it out to another one with an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    ... and a .22.
    I keep reading this. Am I going to be missing anything if I shoot this with an AR?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

There have been ARs on the line at every Appleseed I've been to.
    My son shot his first one with my AR.

We both shot .22s at the next one. Cost was a real factor. Surplus ammo had gone up in price,
    or dried up, and I preferred to keep the .223 and .308 ammo I had for other uses.

Bringing a .22 as a backup rifle wouldn't be a bad idea even if you use an AR as primary.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I keep reading this. Am I going to be missing anything if I shoot this with an AR?
    I don't know that you'd necessarily be missing anything, but I think that I'm probably going to run my M&P15-22 next time. Cheaper and quieter.

Since it's a pure position-shooting marksmanship clinic usually held at 25yds, it's not like you really gain terribly much shooting the centerfire long gun..
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Just invited my father-in-between law and his son to one next month. I shot NRA smallbore for three years in high school, and put up 97s and 98s from sitting. They have zero to little shooting experience. Looking for some rifle recommendations:

I have a 15-22, stock iron sights, Wilderness Tactical Giles sling. Thinking this is the rifle for 13 yo brother in law, as he's pretty skinny and it's a light rifle.

I also have a bolt action scoped Ruger with seven round mags and a sling which quickly extends to use as a shooting sling. I'm thinking this is the rifle for me, since I have more experience and the bolt won't bother me.

Father-in-law has a RRA AR he got as a gift and hasn't shot yet. Not sure of he should shoot it at Appleseed, might benefit more from the 15-22. But his son will be probably be shooting that rifle.

Is it possible/advisable to swap rifles as we go?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Just invited my father-in-between law and his son to one next month. I shot NRA smallbore for three years in high school, and put up 97s and 98s from sitting. They have zero to little shooting experience. Looking for some rifle recommendations:

I have a 15-22, stock iron sights, Wilderness Tactical Giles sling. Thinking this is the rifle for 13 yo brother in law, as he's pretty skinny and it's a light rifle. Ditch the tac sling and put on an old school GI nylon web sling. The tac sling will be useless for the sling supported positional shooting they teach.

I also have a bolt action scoped Ruger with seven round mags and a sling which quickly extends to use as a shooting sling. I'm thinking this is the rifle for me, since I have more experience and the bolt won't bother me. Some folks do use a bolt gun but you will be a rare bird if you can keep up the firing tempo.

Father-in-law has a RRA AR he got as a gift and hasn't shot yet. Not sure of he should shoot it at Appleseed, might benefit more from the 15-22. But his son will be probably be shooting that rifle. If nothing else get him a CMMG .22 conversion kit. He can use the .223 but that is spendy for many folks.

Is it possible/advisable to swap rifles as we go? The instructors are generally cool as long as safety is maintained with swaps but the Chinese Fire Drill of musical guns can screw folks up.
    For any gun you must have at least two mags (10 rounds minimum to follow the official COF but that's up to the shooter) and you would be better served by at least 4 mags.

Figured I'd drop the tac sling and get a USGI sling.

Right now I've only got two seven rounders for my bolt, but they make ten rounders. I'll try and pick up two of those.

I believe FIL already has .223 ammo that came with the gift of the rifle, so he may be able to use that. Do you think the short sight radius (it's a carbine) and increased recoil will be an issue? He's a pretty bulky dude.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

My son shot his first Appleseed, at 17 or 18, with my AR and commercial .223 FMJ ammo.
    Made a dent in my stash of South African PMP rounds, but none in his shoulder.
    The .223 doesn't recoil much in any gun I've fired it in.

The short sight radius of a carbine didn't seem to bother other shooters at the Appleseed's we've been to.

At one of those two shooters (father and son, I think) were shooting the same Garand. The older guy would put on a forward-mounted scope
    when he shot. The younger used the GI irons. The shoot boss had no problems with it.

I shot Appleseed with my 10/22 LTR and an AR15 just to mix it up a bit. Total round count for 2 days was ~800 22LR and 200 .223

User Tag List