Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which AR-15 5.56 magazines are best?

My personal first choice will always be Colt/Okay/NHMTG which are all essentially the same magazine. Call me old school but I've been called a lot worse. Plain Jane black PMAGs seem to work fine too. D&H aren't bad magazines but if given a choice all things being equal I'd pick NHMTG. YMMV.

What about followers? I know Magpul has pretty much cornered the market. Are there different versions? I have about 20 orange MP followers in a box. They look like this:

Current issue or trash bound?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

We are fixing to have a good time here in the long gun forum because I'm about as green as it gets when it comes to carbines.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    How are the Brownells magazines?
    Good to go.

I don't have any issue with the green followers, but I don't have any issue with the MagPul followers either. Brownell's magazines seem like pretty good magazines.

Remember - treat all AR magazines like Bic lighters. Use them until they don't work, then throw them out and get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post

Remember - treat all AR magazines like Bic lighters. Use them until they don't work, then throw them out and get a new one.
    This x1000. Don't fall in love with your gear. Maintain it, but at the end of the day, mags are expendable items. I crushed some of the USGI mags I was issued here, and replaced them with black PMAGs that ran 100% for the duration of my deployment.

When they fail, chuck em.

Thanks for your help Gents!

Ha ha, good question. Realistically in a carbine class your absolute max load out would be something like ten 30 round magazines. If I'm rolling heavy with ammo I have 5 mags on me and one in the gun. This of course is just to keep the gun fed for drills.

So six is a good minimum for me. But the more you have loaded, the less down time you have. I have 75 30 round NHMTG magazines because I bought them cheap and stacked them deep. They should last for the rest of my life.

I like Pmags and at least ten magazines for any platform.

FWIW, last class I had a bunch (like 20ish) magazines loaded. It *really* allowed me to avoid the process of constantly jamming magazines during the breaks. Well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Timely thread.

I'm about to order 15 or so 30 rounders and 5 or so 20s.

I'd like to stick with GI mags.

NHMTG the way to go? what about D&H?
    NHMTG are the best alum's available for the money, IMO. They're the same quality as Okay/Colt. Inconsistent reports on D&H.

User Tag List