Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The P35/Browning Hi Power in 2017?

KC approved! Lol!

Even works with your eyes closed.

*images courtesy of IMDB

I've had several custom HP's. All were accurate, but barrels weren't stock either. All were reliable, but I'd expect that from stock HP's. All had great triggers, but you'd expect that from a high dollar gun. I regret selling mine (to fund more 1911 stuff), and have quite the urge to get back in them. Part of that desire is Newt's Garthwaite. And part of that is my tolerance/hate of the glocks I own. And recently, the debut of the new wilson gun.

The custom HPs did EVERYTHING I could ask for, for less money than the new X9. I've been trying to figure out how to afford the new Wilson, but time and again, I think I'd rather commission another custom HP.

ETA: Your dollar at the gunsmith goes WAY farther on an HP, than it does on a 1911. For example, Karl Sokol's HP package, with stippling, is $750. Add a surplus gun to that and you're out the door for a VERY reasonable price
    Last edited by theJanitor; 03-17-2017 at 09:08 PM.

I just want someone to make a Mark IV version. Different or updated mags, beaver tail, magwell.

My GP mags work well. What would you have be different about them?
    Ignore Alien Orders

More taper at the front-top rather than the sharp corners.

A Browning Hi Power Mk III was the first pistol I ever bought. I knew virtually nothing about shooting in those days, but I felt I shot that gun better than anything I had ever shot......until I learned how to shoot. I sold it for a Gen 2 G17.......stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'll own a Hi Power again someday. Threads like this just make me want one more.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    As someone who often fantasizes about buying into a blued steel and walnut secondary pistol family to supplement my collection of Glocks, I have on more than one occasion entertained buying a P35. This is distinctly unlikely to happen any time in the foreseeable future, but I was poking around the P35 gallery thread and realized that even though they sure look nice, I don't actually know very much about them at all.

What are people's experiences here with the P35/BHP? Why do they seem so relatively uncommon? What are some of their strengths/weaknesses vs similarly mature designs (i.e. the 1911, CZ75s)? How do they fare in terms of reliability, durability, ergonomics, aftermarket support and ease of maintenance?

It surprises me that they aren't a little more popular but my only experience with them has been putting a magazine through one many years ago. I recall the trigger being distinctly unimpressive but that's about it. Very curious to hear more from people who have experience with these guns.
    pretty poor trigger for a single action
    most are not dovetailed
    narrow frame so checkering is tricky but people are doing it now
    beavertail is tiny
    magwell is very small
    grip size is almost as short as a g19 but the weight of the gun is immense
    safety isn't nearly as good as a 1911
    recoil impulse is actually pretty rough compared to a glock

I still like them but would rather have something more modern. I would love to see say a CZ P-09 with steel frame kitted out to be sao

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    the weight of the gun is immense
    Come on, buddy.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Come on, buddy.
    They weigh 35-36 oz that is pretty substantial compared to most other compacts. A p228 is 29 oz and a G19 is 24 oz which are significantly lighter even with the extremely narrow Hi power frame.
    Last edited by pastaslinger; 03-18-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Site Supporter
    A steel hp weights 32 oz empty. A loaded magazine is 8 more oz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List