Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Rangemaster, Tom Givens Handgun Core Skills Test.

Thank you for the additional explanation, Sir. I have always been fascinated with the greater premium the RHCST puts on speed than many other tests and standards found in defensive pistol training.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Shot this cold today on an NDM-1, scored 5-3-0.

One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

I broke out an old, stock G23 today with mags from the dark years (have the LE only warning on them). I ran it drill on an IALEFI-Q. Using 5-4-3 my score was a 123.74, and using the 5-4-2 my score was a 123.04. Missed it by that much...

Of note, I threw one of the shots from the 25 just out into the gray. This pistol has a stock mag release. My personal Glocks all have extended releases. The mag springs are to the point where they still feed reliably, but they don't kick the empty out of the pistol. I had to flick it out messing up the timing of my reload, and then I rushed the shots afterward and put a couple in the 4-point zone.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I found this today and opened it in a new tab to remember to do it this weekend, then I lost the t an and it took me forever to find it again! SO, I'm bumping the thread

I gave this a try today with my Glock 26, concealed with my normal carry gear. I used an IDPA target and 5/3/0 scoring. I like the test. If I had one critique it would be to assign a minimum number of hits for the run to count.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  48.1 KB

Ran this today cold for the first time. Tried my hardest to run it clean but threw one at the 15 yard line trying to make up for a botched draw.

Edited to add: I messed up on straight my 2 and did 4 body 1 head so I re shot that string. That's why there is 3 head shots.

149.37 score

Last edited by Luke; 01-09-2016 at 05:33 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Which gun and was it concealed? I switched to running everything concealed. Since I'm not LEO, I figured it doesn't make much sense for me not to.

P30 in a JM AIWB concealed with a long sleeve shirt. I run everything, including competition from concealment.
    i used to wannabe

Shot this for the DotW.

Gen3 G34 in a Keeper concealed under a polo shirt.
    Used an IDPA target and traced a ~3.5" circle in the head (the outline of my depleted roll of duct tape.)

Times
    String 1 @ 3 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 4 body = 1.40
    String 2 @ 5 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 3 body and 2 head = 2.03
    String 3 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in strong hand only, shoot 4 body = 1.50
    String 4 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in support hand only, shoot 5 body = 2.08
    String 5 @ 7 yards: Draw and shoot 6 body = 2.03
    String 6 @ 7 yards: Start with gun at ready loaded with exactly 3 rounds. Shoot 3 body, reload, and shoot 3 body = 3.09
    String 7 @ 10 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body = 1.49
    String 8 @ 15 yards: Draw and shoot 4 body = 2.15
    String 9 @ 25 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body = 2.49

Total time: 18.26 seconds
    Total points: 196

Final score: 214

I really enjoy that this particular test is based in hit factor scoring.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    I just found a bunch of IALEFI-Q targets I kind of forgot I had. I'll have to test fire this drill and see how I do

User Tag List