Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Rangemaster, Tom Givens Handgun Core Skills Test.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I just measured one of the 97 currently stacked on what is supposed to be my conference table. Just under 4.5" was the verdict.
    Perfect. I will trace the outline of my Roll Of Black Duct Tape and have a 4.25" circle. Thank you Lee!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Ran it four times yesterday morning before class. I didn't do a good job keeping the score sheets straight, so I'm not sure what order I shot them in.

From lowest to highest:

179 points in 18.09 seconds, final score of 197.

187 points in 18.13 seconds, final score of 206.

188 points in 17.85 seconds, final score of 210.

177 points in 16.00 seconds, final score of 221.

I am pretty sure that last one is a personal best. Fun test, I love it! Good interlude among all the dry trigger and transition work preparing for GSSF.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Ran it four times yesterday morning before class. I didn't do a good job keeping the score sheets straight, so I'm not sure what order I shot them in.

From lowest to highest:

I am pretty sure that last one is a personal best. Fun test, I love it! Good interlude among all the dry trigger and transition work preparing for GSSF.

Wow.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    That, Sir, is a vulgar display of ability.

"Praise from Caesar is praise indeed."

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post

From lowest to highest:

Very impressive.

Tom, how do you score an IDPA target?

Site Supporter
    Bill- On an IDPA target I would score the body 5/3/0. The head would need to have a 3.5-4" circle added for an ocular window. The head would then be 5/3.

Shot two more runs of this today on a B21 target instead of the Q, trying to find some speed:accuracy thresholds. The B21 gets a lot of use around me, for better or worse. I drew an 8" circle on the torso and a 3x5 on the head, scoring the head card and circle as a 5, anything else in the central bottle (target's 5-zone) as a 3, and anything else as a 0.

Run 1 I managed 160pts in 26.59 for a 120.

Run 2 I consciously hunkered down a little more and pulled 180pts out in 27.13 for a 132.

Like certain other standards, this one seems to be a better benchmark when shot cold. Tom, any thoughts on that?

The B21 as shot, and a B21 bottle overlayed on a Q for reference.

الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Bill- On an IDPA target I would score the body 5/3/0. The head would need to have a 3.5-4" circle added for an ocular window. The head would then be 5/3.
    Thanks, Tom. This skills test appears to be weighted a little towards speed over pin point accuracy??

Site Supporter
    To answer the last two posters:

Skin- you are correct, this test is meant to be shot cold. If you practice several runs and then shoot it your score is not representative of what we're trying to test. Ideally, one would shoot this course cold perhaps once every six months as a barometer of your current skill level. By having a standardized test that covers a lot of the basic skills you can track your progress and see if you are actually getting better or at least maintaining your skill level.

Bill- when I designed this my goal was to test a balance of speed and precision. I firmly believe that the ability to fire a nice tight fist sized group is great unless it takes you too long to do so and you get shot before you get your rounds off. I also firmly believe that spraying rounds lightning quick but sloppily is just as bad. What I'm looking for is adequate accuracy delivered very quickly.

I chose the IALEFI-QP target because it is widely and easily available so that anywhere in the country students could shoot the test on the same target. On my own chest, the area from collarbone to diaphragm, and nipple to nipple is an 8 inch circle almost exactly. This target has an 8 inch circle high in the chest so it works fine for my purposes. Hits in the 10 inch circle (lungs) lose 20% of their value and hits in the torso above the belt lose 40% of their value. That seems like a reasonable penalty. When I score the test, I count the 8 inch ring as five points, the 10 inch ring as four points, and the torso above the belt as three points (2 points for more advanced students). I count the head as five in the ring and three outside it.

Thus, to score well one has to stay inside the chest and head circles and do so quickly. The faster one can get decent hits the higher the score will be.

All tests of this sort are somewhat arbitrary and capricious. Various authorities agree that the vital zone is in the upper chest but describe it differently and view its dimensions differently. Some like a 6 inch circle high in the chest, some an 8 inch circle. Some people think that a hit anywhere in the head is great, others view the ocular window as a 3 inch circle containing only the eyes and nose. I feel the 8 inch circle and head circle on the IALEFI-QP target are at least a reasonable representation of human anatomy.

I don't claim the test is perfect, I just think it's a good basic skill check.

User Tag List