Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Reload Data

Unique is perfect in the 9. Power Pistol strikes me as a cleaner Unique. AA powder (would need my notes for which) was like blowing 8lbs of sand through the comp on my .38 Super back in the day.
    Power Pistol, perhaps surprisingly given it's marketing, works very well in slightly +P .38 Special as a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I really like WSF in 9mm - unfortunately I am down to my last pound of WSF. Been using the WSF with all sorts of 9mm bullets from 124 LRN to 150 SWC.

I've been using WST. Not as versatile as WSF in the smaller-capacity cases, but it works well enough for practice/blasting ammo, and I use a LOT of it in .45 and .40… so it simplifies my supply situation.

I use 4.6 under a 115gr Precision Delta ball bullet. With Bayou Bullets' 124gr RNL coated bullet, 3.9 worked well.

I know I'd get better accuracy with 147gr bullets, but I simply don't shoot enough 9mm to bother investing in the more expensive projectiles.

I use a 125 grain RNL coated with Hi-Tek from SnS Casting, over 3.6 grains of Titegroup.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I use a 125 grain RNL coated with Hi-Tek from SnS Casting, over 3.6 grains of Titegroup.
    That coating must be great, for me Titegroup and lead produced clouds of smoke..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    That coating must be great, for me Titegroup and lead produced clouds of smoke..
    +1

The Hi-Tek coating is very good stuff. Between me and the half dozen guys I shoot with I haven't seen a powder that wasn't acceptable with Hi-Tek coated bullets (Titegroup, Solo 1000, AA#2, N320, WST, Longshot, 700x, Clays, and Bullseye to name some powders that have been used amongst this group).

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    It's quickly made a believer out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Has anyone come up with a load that duplicates their carry load? Not just in velocity, but also perceived recoil impulse?

My current 9 x 19mm self-defense loads are Federal's 147 grain HST and Winchester's 147 grain Ranger-T. Hornady's 147 grain FMJ bullet loaded to factory velocity using VihtaVuori 3N37 powder gives a good approximation of the recoil characteristics and POI of the above factory loads in my guns. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from my SIG P226 at a distance of 25 yards using this hand-load. The group has an extreme spread of 1.4".

For pure accuracy in the 9 x 19mm cartridge, nothing that I have tested to date has topped the performance of the Hornady 125 HAP bullet. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from one of my Noveske barrels at a distance of 25 yards using the 125 grain HAP charged with Winchester Action Pistol powder. This group has an extreme spread of 0.413".

Quote Originally Posted by dustyvarmint View Post
    I was interested in this thread, but lack the mental capacity to make much out of it as is.

So, I summarized much of the information in this spreadsheet. Hopefully the link works - my first cloud doc.

Disclaimer: NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TYPOGRAPHIC ERRORS. ALWAYS CONSULT A RELOADING MANUAL.

Only loads I thought to be possible for action sports, non-major PF, available as bulk-rate bullets, that made minor PF are listed and I just left out ones I didn't feel like listing (too scant info, etc.)

http://sdrv.ms/1ih0cRE
    If you paste this formula into every cell of Column L, it will automatically calculate the power factor.

Code:
    =SUM(C3*K3/1000)

Today I tried the 125 grain RNLs coated with Hi-Tek over 4.2 grains of Bullseye. Previously, I hadn't had any luck with Bullseye in 9mm. I couldn't find a load that would maintain accuracy and not causing excessive leading. The load grouped very well and the barrel cleaned up easily, with no leading.

User Tag List