Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: walther ppk/s - used prices?

Then, I think I will adjust the way I shoot it versus adjusting the sight to compensate for whatever it is that I am doing to get the grouping a little high and right.
    J, what size groups are you getting and at what distance? If the groups are nice and tight, better to adjust the sights to zero the Browning. Be aware different brands/types/styles of ammo may effect POA/POI.

Quote Originally Posted by will_1400 View Post
    I've always been interested in the PPK because of James Bond, but I'm under no illusions as to its effectiveness. Besides, I think 007 carries a P99 these days. Regarding Ian Fleming, AFIK he was Naval Intelligence and was never part of MI6. He also at one point had Bond carrying the VP-70 so I think it's safe to say Mr. Fleming didn't know squat about firearms.
    Actually it was John Gardner who gave Bond a VP70 in one of the books he wrote after Fleming's death.

As Tam said; Fleming originally gave Bond a Beretta 418 .25. He gave him a PPK in Dr. No after Geoffrey Boothroyd wrote to him and told him the .25 was a "lady's gun". Fleming's interest in and knowledge of firearms was limited and that becomes pretty obvious if you read his books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Bond_firearms
    Last edited by Smaug; 12-29-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

I stand corrected.

The PPK WAS "used" by Inspector Beaton during the kidnapping attempt on Princess Anne back in 1974. Of course the dammned thing jammed and he was shot in the chest by his attacker.

grouping

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    J, what size groups are you getting and at what distance? If the groups are nice and tight, better to adjust the sights to zero the Browning. Be aware different brands/types/styles of ammo may effect POA/POI.
    Well, at the range I went to the other day, there aren't markings telling me what the distances are. But, I think the range was around 7 yards and the grouping was about 2" by 2" with 30 shots. The furthest out the other day (maybe 20 yards) was about 3" by 3" with 30 shots. That is standing with no arm/gun rest.

Today, I used a rest and at 7 yards (this shooting range had the floor marked) with 4 shots I shot a grouping the size of a dime (the best of the day). The thing is, I'm putting the front site at the bottom of the dark portion of the target (NRA Official 25 YD slow-fire pistol target) and those 4 shots were in the "9" ring below the bulls-eye. I shot a total of 20 rounds at that distance and all of the groupings were ... quarter to silver dollar sized groupings and high of where I was aiming. The further out the distances the bigger the groupings (obviously). But, I don't know what the distances are; I go by "rafters" or drop-ceiling sections in my notes.

I didn't shoot well today; it didn't feel good. It seemed like with the rest I was shooting worse, especially at 20+ yards. I had a cannon going off to my left, which was very distracting. I think a lot of people have off this week because every shooting range I go to is packed. I think I might become a member at my local range. The member shooting lanes have electronic target "senders" so you know what distances you are shooting at. It costs about $140 to be a member for a year with 50% off range fees and discounts on cleaning products, and holsters, and stuff like that. It might be worth it. I can afford it and I plan on shooting quite a bit.

I'll try again tomorrow or the next day. I'm still going to all of the different ranges in the area before I decide which one I want to join.

The short answer is that I just sold a very nice Interarms built Walther PPK/S for $450 on GunBroker.com. A friend inherited some guns from her had and asked me to sell them while helping her find something better for her.

Both my wife & toyed with the PPK/S and neither of us liked much about it. Generally sleek? Yes, but the lines are also broken up with the ungainly thumb safety/decocker & huge knurled trigger. All of the machined edges are raw or nearly so, meaning the edges are sharp & uncomfortable.

Her Sig P232 Stainless is a work of art by comparison, even though it is the same basic design. The Sig offers no more fire power, but it is much sleeker and the totally unencumbered lines make it a very good purse gun. The OEM Hogue grips ensure a solid grip during the draw and subsequent handling - a detail that's not always so easy on smaller guns.

The 380ACP cartridge is the Rodney Dangerfield of defensive ammo in most firearm forums, especially those where the 1911 and/or 45ACP reign supreme. However, it is well respected in most parts of the world and quite capable of stopping most self-defense scenarios the armed citizen is likely to encounter. Will it stop a drug-crazed dude intent on killing you? That all depends on shot placement. But, the same is true for pistols in general - they tend to come up short in extreme situations like dealing with the highly motivated or highly drugged bad guy.

The record suggests that the 380ACP has virtually the same stopping history as the 38 Special, not the favorite gun of most, but certainly not maligned like the 380.

BTW, my wife has the Sig P232 Stainless because it's just too good looking to not have. Plus, it shoots very nicely. She can and occasionally does carry it, although her S&W 3913LS is her preferred CCW or a pocket 380 auto such as the Ruger LCP or my Sig P238.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    What's so wrong with the VP70? I thought you guys liked a 'rolling' trigger and a polymer frame?
    Because it's got a nasty trigger. Full of grit and incredibly heavy. When I say heavy, any DA gun I've shot is a race gun compared to the VP70. Imagine a SIGMA but heavier.

Also, it's got funky sights that function off the use of shadows. The mags are whoa expensive, and the thing is a huge brick. You can clean up the trigger but supposedly the trigger job is easily botched by an unqualified 'smith. You can also replace the stock 12lbs striker spring with a 5.5lbs spring from Wolff. I've never handled one that was cleaned up...both examples I've played with were quite horrible.

It was designed to be the sidearm of poorly trained military conscripts using crap ammunition. It is not a "shooter".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by OlympicFox View Post
    Her Sig P232 Stainless is a work of art by comparison, even though it is the same basic design.
    The P230/232 is the Cadillac of .380 autos, no doubt about it. The only reason to select a PPK over the P23x is nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS
    Because it's got a nasty trigger. Full of grit and incredibly heavy. When I say heavy, any DA gun I've shot is a race gun compared to the VP70. Imagine a SIGMA but heavier.
    Remember those toy pistols that shot the little plastic discs? They looked kinda like a gold plastic PPK? The VP70's trigger feels almost exactly like that. I'd wanted one ever since I was a teenager and saw them in some game or another. Imagine my disappointment when I actually got one in my hands. "Er, thanks, boss, but I think I'll pass on this one."
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List