Thread: Glock 34 versus Colt Officers Model

Glock 34 versus Colt Officers Model

Saw this article linked to over on another forum, good read.
    http://americanhandgunner.com/then-a...el-38-special/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great article. I had an uncle who carried the exact Colt .38 from its time of issue for the "Shield Class" at the 1940 LAPD Academy all the way to retirement in the 70's. I have the gun and all his leather. The difference in standards for law enforcement has changed a lot in shooting. Bullseye was the game in those era's. I also have a full house King gun that was shipped to Kings from Colt that was built as a gamer gun of the era. What is funny is these sort of exude what is important in the big picture...usable sights, a good action and reliable. It is funny how we dog on the fragile Colt actions......how many police agencies do we see these days running their high tech auto pistols for over 30 years as service guns? By far the biggest difference is how serious we take armorers, gunsmith's and maintenance versus those eras.
    I got to spend some time over the weekend with Bill Laughridge, who is one of he last of the guys who can really work on a Colt revolver. We were laughing that an LAPD Armorer from the pre 1970's was every bit the master gunsmith of today in what they could do with a Colt revolver. They were the same into the 90's with Smith & Wessons. Funny, that today, the same organization has at least one guy who is at that level with Glocks.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

L
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    .....that level with Glocks.
    What level with Glocks??? Changing some pieces/parts, maybe?

Laughridge, as you stated, is one of the FEW true revolver experts remaining.

Great read. Did Ed McGivern use that Colt? I thought he set his records with S&W K frames?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

That's an excellent article. While it may rankle some purist feathers to compare a Glock with a vintage Colt in the same breath/shooting venue, the author did a very fair (and readable) job of doing so. I can certainly admire the purpose, craftsmanship, and manufacturing quality of the vintage Colt, I like that my Glock G34 can fulfull the same purposeful niche-as well as others. What's nice about the G34 (mine's a Gen 3, with Warren Tactical sights, and the minus connector teamed with a NY1) is that I can easily use it for carry and competitions (IDPA and GSSF primarily) with zero changes or modifications beyond what I've done. I also find the G34 exceptionally easy to shoot strong- and weak-handed, due to its balance.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    L

What level with Glocks??? Changing some pieces/parts, maybe?

Laughridge, as you stated, is one of the FEW true revolver experts remaining.

No, as in a solid depth of understanding of the engineering dynamics.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Funny, that today, the same organization has at least one guy who is at that level with Glocks.
    Alex?

I would suspect so...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Yep. I sent LSP972 a PM on him.

User Tag List