Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whilst I Wait for Colt's New Cobra....

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Range report:

With 158grn LRN, it shot about an inch to the left at seven yards.

The grips will have to go. I have Pach compacts on my other DS and it is a lot easier to shoot.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 01-03-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Range report:

With 158grn LRN, it shot about an inch to the left at seven yards.

The grips will have to go. I have Pach compacts on my other DS and it is a lot easier to shoot.
    Your POA discovery is interesting. My current '75 DS shoots 3" to the left at the same distance with a 158 grain SWC handloaded with 3.6 grains of WST. I bought a Colt Commando Special in '83 for off duty use and it shot four inches to the left at fifteen yards. Being young and stupid, I got mad and sold it instead of sending it back to Colt. These little sixguns bring stupid money now when one is offered for sale.

Site Supporter
    I'd try different ammo. My DS made in 83 did that also. I found that 110 and 129gr bullets shot closer to poa, poi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks! I will do some handloads with 125 grain JHP bullets that have been in the drawer for thirty years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I'd try different ammo. My DS made in 83 did that also. I found that 110 and 129gr bullets shot closer to poa, poi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Were these +P rounds?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Were these +P rounds?
    Yes, mine shot the lighter +p rounds closer to point of aim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a DS that is identical to the OPs. Tried several 148-158 bullets and groups were never what I thought a Colt DS ought to produce. Yesterday I was at the range and all I had was some 125grain JHPs over a Power Pistol powder charge. Shooting single action at 50 ft the six grouped into 2.1 inches. I think I found the carry load I've been looking for. POI 4" right of POA. I can live with that with some Kentucky windage. Gonna buy one of the new Cobras but it will never be better in the action works than this DS.

I had a 70s or 80s Trooper, it didn't have enough adjustment in the rear sight to get on for windage. The barrel was obviously clocked/indexed incorrectly. Took it to the local old time gunsmith, he centered it, I centered the rear sight to start out,...and it was right on at 100 yards when I tried it. Indexing the barrel to correct windage is relatively simple with the right tools. Ive even made the tools.

Site Supporter
    Interesting. The one I had seemed to shoot to POA regardless of load, with minor, inconsequential changes of elevation. Great little gun. Just didn't dare carry it, or shoot it enough to make it worth sitting on.

User Tag List