Page 65 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    The downside being, of course, you need to take out a new mortgage for every refill.
    Yes, indeed. We have started managing our daily finances by no longer using a debit card and using a credit card. And we do not let it get to be a whopper and pay it once a month, just whenever either of us gets a paycheck I login and zero it out. This obscures the difference between three ~$50 purchases and the one ~$150 purchase, at least psychologically!

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    The 2013 I had, on the other hand, had the capacity of an old mans bladder.
    And when discussing range somebody always wants to say that you cannot go 500mi without peeing, but it is a hell of a lot easier to find someplace to pee than find someplace to get gas. Especially after it gets dark...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm still keeping my eye on the preowned "1/2 ton" market. I'm specifically looking for a Crew Cab with the 6.5' bed (most are 5.5'), which seems to limit me to the Ford, and even those are rare.

Given that I'll likely be buying pre-owned at about the 50k miles range, I'm concerned about this. Is there a year range that's better or worse? Anything I can have the mechanic look for?

Honestly I've only done a bit of research on 2017+ Ecoboost F150's, and I have very little experience working on them. The takeaway I can offer is that I'd stick to 3.5L models and look out for proof of oil changes with quality oil every 5-6k. At ~50k miles I'd plan on immediately replacing spark plugs as well. Turbo gas engines love more octane and love fresh spark plugs and there is no exception to that regardless of what the owners manual says.

The earlier 2.7L's didn't seem to get an MPG savings that was worth the reduced towing capacity vs the 3.5L. On stock and on tuned early 2.7L's they showed a real sensitivity to subpar fuel; one customer's truck, a '15 model if memory serves, showed up for a dyno tune running like shit and it had absolutely nuked spark plugs with around 10k total miles on it. Naturally that truck never touched the dyno and went straight back to the dealer and we never saw it again. On the plus side for the 2.7L, seems that if you're willing to feed it 91+ octane and tune it for such, they really wake up. But so does the 3.5L so IMHO that's a wash.
    Overall I think the 2.7L is aimed at the guy who uses his truck like a sedan and nothing else.

Any turbocharged gasoline engine needs regular oil changes. a lot of manufacturers recommend 10k miles or once a year or other insane intervals, and honestly I believe that is massively flawed. Those sorts of intervals on a turbocharged gasoline engine tends to set people up to have engine and turbocharger failures just outside warranty coverage.

Modern oils are amazing and can last a long time, but filters still need to be replaced regularly. I prefer starting with a 5k mile interval and use Blackstone lab analysis results to dictate future change intervals based on actual data instead of feely-good hearsay.
    On my old Japanese iron block turbo shitboxes I've been keeping alive, they have done very well with 4-6k intervals running Mobil 1 5w30 Dexos Gen III (API SP) and Mobil 1 Euro Formula 0w40 (API SP).
    An old Honda/Nissan/Toyota engine builder I know is emphatically recommending the new Quaker State Synthetic 5w30 based on results he's seen in his built engines, so I'll probably be switching to that next summer once I run out of my stash of Mobil 1.

Are there any concerns about early 5.0 Coyote motors?

We're kinda being forced into replacing a vehicle before we can afford the good low mileage 3.5L that I really want. That has me considering a higher mileage, pre-2017 F-150s in the sub $30k range.
    David S.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Lots of used trucks on the market right now are Canadian originally. I suspect the strong US dollar and supply chain issues are increasing the number of imports/gray market vehicles.

I ran across a "mojave sand" 2017 Ram Rebel today. It's older than I want, and was Canadian, but the 2-tone (over black) color combo looked sharp.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Today I learned this is a thing: https://www.amazon.com/247-Skins-Uni...dp/B08QL1H6VQ/

On a scale of Calvin peeing on something to neon truck nuts, I give this 1.75 mullets.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Today I learned this is a thing: https://www.amazon.com/247-Skins-Uni...dp/B08QL1H6VQ/

On a scale of Calvin peeing on something to neon truck nuts, I give this 1.75 mullets.
    The harry and the hendersons reference did make me smile

I had the opportunity to drive a 2022 Chevy Silverado ZR2 today. I actually liked it. I'll leave a comparison in my "decisions are hard" thread, but I think it's a good truck for someone who's looking for a luxury softroader.

Highlights: 6.2L / 10 speed work very well together. Acceleration at partial or full throttle was responsive and quick for a truck. Sudden deceleration was smooth. Braking was smooth and strong, but I didn't test for fade since it was just a test drive. It's a quiet truck until you romp in then you can hear the 6.2L and it sounds nice.

Stereo was pretty meh to me, but I just listened to a little FM and didn't hook up a phone.

Displays were cool, but I think there will be a learning curve. Physical buttons were easily placed and intuitive to use. Camera display was nice for forward or reverse.

Solid steel bumpers.

Skid plate package is meh. Front skid and transfer case skid, no transfer case skid, no gas tank skid.

Seats were nice looking. They felt very sporty in that it was bolstered and it was comfortable for the short drive, but the seat cusion was noticably hard.

The one I drove did not have the HUD.

Pretty pricey compared to others in the segment, but honestly the interior reflected that.

Lots of used trucks on the market right now are Canadian originally. I suspect the strong US dollar and supply chain issues are increasing the number of imports/gray market vehicles.

I ran across a "mojave sand" 2017 Ram Rebel today. It's older than I want, and was Canadian, but the 2-tone (over black) color combo looked sharp.
    Is that a problem?

I just got pushed hard into the market. I was in an accident a couple nights ago and I’m going to be shocked if my car isn’t totaled. So, in the next couple weeks I’ll probably have either a new Tacoma or a used Ram or F150.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Is that a problem?

I just got pushed hard into the market. I was in an accident a couple nights ago and I’m going to be shocked if my car isn’t totaled. So, in the next couple weeks I’ll probably have either a new Tacoma or a used Ram or F150.
    It can be. Ram, at least, has given people issues on warranty work for gray market Canadian trucks.

Like any "up North" truck, be more careful in rust evaluation.

Some trucks may be optioned slightly differently, and will have DRLs unless deactivated during the importation process.

None of these are necesarily deal breakers, just know it going in.

Canadian sales, warranty may not be valid in USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

User Tag List