Page 48 of 93 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    ETA: Ford started selling these in their highest volume vehicles in 2009, if they all had crapped out with low miles Ford would have had to get a bailout like the other two a long time ago. And it is not just Ford, VW is a large global manufacturer and they have been putting out a lotta turbos.
    I don't think I'd use VAG vehicles as paragons of reliability...
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Agreed, but they are a very high volume manufacturer, and my point here is about volume. Ford sells almost a million trucks a year, the EB has the highest take rate and has been in production for thirteen years. So there are millions of them out there in daily use and if they were unreliable you would see a bunch of them littering the roadside every morning on your way to work.

But newer cars are more heavily leaned on and technology laddened (I am more worried about direct injection than the turbos). The 2003 Suburban 2500 we got 255k out of was a heavy duty truck that didn't do much towing, but we used the shit out of it and it was great. But with it's naturally aspirated pushrod engine it was pretty antiquated the day we bought it. And with a similar drivetrain (6sp, 3.73) it was weak sauce compared to our 2014 3.5L EB.

But something not being considered in our turbo discussion is the transmissions are now 10sp, and I think that would help a NA engine get up into it's torque less abruptly when needed. That 3.3L NA V6 in front of the 10sp would probably be a good option (290HP is probably what my 2003 6.0L had.. ETA: I misremembered, I went and looked and my 6.0 probably had 345hp), if you were seeking reliability and not towing much. ETA: I just did a B&P on an XL Supercab with the 3.3L and 4x4 and it shows it as an available combination.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-10-2022 at 07:36 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'd be bored of that truck before I left the lot.
    I understand.

For me, cars are transportation. I like them basic and inexpensive over the long haul. I like cheaper insurance, personal property tax, and fewer troubles.

Right now, I'm driving an 07 Ranger 4x2 manual transmission. The only option it has is AC, and it chills down that tiny cabin in like 15 seconds. It's a perfect car for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    (I am more worried about direct injection than the turbos).
    Toyota's D-4S injection system, which almost fully eliminates carbon buildup on the valves, is top of the pack.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Isn't that a apples/oranges though? lower RPMs and lower combustion temperature for turbo diesel engines means they shouldn't run as hot as a turbocharged gas engine , all else being equal. Plus I always thought a turbo on a big diesel engien is kinda trying to solve a different problem than turbo on a gas engine; my understanding is the former is primarily helping by way of pulling oxygen whereas turbochargers in gas engines are typically doing more to increase combustion pressure and thus engine power
    Diesels have higher combustion temperatures. They are pressure/heat ignited vs spark ignited and it requires a higher temperature to operate properly. That means the exhaust is hotter as well, though not as dramatically so as the combustion temperature.

Turbos do the exact same thing, regardless of what they are on. Shove more air into the cylinder than atmospheric pressure alone could do. More air allows more fuel to be squirted in and still be between the upper explosive limit and the lower explosive limit. More fuel exploding equals more power.

Diesel motors turn over at lower RPMs, generally speaking, but that doesn't mean the turbos spin slower. Turbo speed is determined by many factors, but very generally speaking a smaller turbo spins faster than a bigger turbo.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I'm going to go test drive a Gladiator Mojave because reasons.

Name:  7BCFBDF3-209E-4096-8836-EBA6FF5209B6.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  59.2 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Nope. Too slow in the 40-75 on-ramp sprint. If they had more motor in these it'd be a real contender for me, I liked the overall package. Just not enough to buy one. Maybe they'll put the Hurricane in eventually

I did sit in a Ranger, though. I preferred it to the Jeep. I'm a bit more excited for the Ranger Raptor. Dealership knew dick-all about it. Saleskid asked if I meant the F-150 Raptor or Bronco Raptor. No. I meant what I said. He went and got an adult and while the manager knew it existed had no idea when order banks or mannequins would be available. Tried to push me toward the F-150 Raptor. Cool truck, but nope. Especially for what they want for them.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    VW turbo diesels are very reliable. Their wiring harnesses and sensors sucked.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Nope. Too slow in the 40-75 on-ramp sprint. If they had more motor in these it'd be a real contender for me, I liked the overall package. Just not enough to buy one. Maybe they'll put the Hurricane in eventually

I did sit in a Ranger, though. I preferred it to the Jeep. I'm a bit more excited for the Ranger Raptor. Dealership knew dick-all about it. Saleskid asked if I meant the F-150 Raptor or Bronco Raptor. No. I meant what I said. He went and got an adult and while the manager knew it existed had no idea when order banks or mannequins would be available. Tried to push me toward the F-150 Raptor. Cool truck, but nope. Especially for what they want for them.
    Can you get them with the 3.0 diesel?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List