Page 42 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Looking for options / inputs on adding aftermarket battery powered bed lights, using the OEM opening?

Pictured below is the best I currently have. It's an inexpensive HF battery-powered LED light that I have screwed to the OEM trim covers. These trim covers go over/into the openings in my truck, since I don't have the factory bed light option.

The only issue I have with this solution is that the weight of the lights tends to pull them out of the openings. I could use some Gorilla tape to hold them in place, but don't like the tape look.

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any aftermarket lights which fit into these openings? I'm hoping perhaps these openings are industry standard-type shapes in the truck industry, and I just don't know where to look for a light that would snap into them, if it's even available. My truck is a 2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2.

Thoughts?

Attachment 87959
    I’d look at LED marker/clearance lamps to start.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’d look at LED marker/clearance lamps to start.
    Thanks, I will, and have been, just haven't stumbled on to the right lamp I guess. The opening "looks" like it might be a standard of some kind, length is 5 1/2" by 1 1/2", and has ends that angled to support oval shapes at the ends.

I'll keep looking. Push comes to shove I may end up sourcing a 12V somewhere in the bed and installing a LED rope light or lights of some kind, or go figure out what it would take to put in the OEM solution. Appreciate the input.

Thanks, I will, and have been, just haven't stumbled on to the right lamp I guess. The opening "looks" like it might be a standard of some kind, length is 5 1/2" by 1 1/2", and has ends that angled to support oval shapes at the ends.

I'll keep looking. Push comes to shove I may end up sourcing a 12V somewhere in the bed and installing a LED rope light or lights of some kind, or go figure out what it would take to put in the OEM solution. Appreciate the input.
    This might work out for you.

https://www.boogeylights.com/pickup-...yABEgKvMfD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Cool, thanks ^^^.

In doing some research on this, it turns out I do in fact have a cargo light, at least, switched by a switch in the bottom half of the light control (item 5 in the picture.)

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  39.3 KB

What I don't have is bed lights. I did some more looking, and sourced the OEM kit at around $150, plus install:

https://www.moparonlineparts.com/sku/82215795ab.html

Looking into the install, besides mounting the lights (easy), I'd need to route a cable from the rear assy to the engine compartment (uhh, ok), splice into the light control (eek), and then have it coded (Ugh) so the switch controls the bed lights in addition to the cargo light. Yeah, not happening.

So I am going to keep looking for a simpler, battery powered option, or might end up with the aftermarket LED rope light option.

Pictured below is the best I currently have. It's an inexpensive HF battery-powered LED light that I have screwed to the OEM trim covers. ... The only issue I have with this solution is that the weight of the lights tends to pull them out of the openings. I could use some Gorilla tape to hold them in place, but don't like the tape look.
    Not a direct answer to your question, but when working on graphics projects when I worked for my wife I was tipped off (after a pretty big failure of something I had done...) to how versatile RTV is for gluing stuff. It never gets rigid, and if you ever do need to remove it you can with some effort. A couple of small dabs would probably make the covers stop coming out.

Site Supporter
    Double-sided automotive tape might work and give you more flexibility in terms of where to mount the lights.

Cool, thanks ^^^.

In doing some research on this, it turns out I do in fact have a cargo light, at least, switched by a switch in the bottom half of the light control (item 5 in the picture.)

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  39.3 KB

What I don't have is bed lights. I did some more looking, and sourced the OEM kit at around $150, plus install:

https://www.moparonlineparts.com/sku/82215795ab.html

Looking into the install, besides mounting the lights (easy), I'd need to route a cable from the rear assy to the engine compartment (uhh, ok), splice into the light control (eek), and then have it coded (Ugh) so the switch controls the bed lights in addition to the cargo light. Yeah, not happening.

So I am going to keep looking for a simpler, battery powered option, or might end up with the aftermarket LED rope light option.
    How much light do you want? TSC carries a wireless auxiliary light switch that you might be able to use to control low draw LEDs powered by an existing line back there. For that matter, you may just be able to tap very small low draw lights into the same circuit. Something like these mounted into that cover plate, if they would face a useful direction?

https://www.amazon.com/BRIGHTEST-Lig.../dp/B01ADHUXGU
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Thanks all. I think I'm good for now. I ended up using a pair of simple plastic toggle bolts, and drilling a couple 9/64 holes in the two ends of the OEM trim piece, and screwing them in. We'll see how this goes this summer; I have a long trip coming up and if they fall out, I'll try something else.

Name:  IMG_0767.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  61.4 KB

Lighting is good:

Name:  IMG_0768.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  74.9 KB

Looking for options / inputs on adding aftermarket battery powered bed lights, using the OEM opening?

Pictured below is the best I currently have. It's an inexpensive HF battery-powered LED light that I have screwed to the OEM trim covers. These trim covers go over/into the openings in my truck, since I don't have the factory bed light option.

The only issue I have with this solution is that the weight of the lights tends to pull them out of the openings. I could use some Gorilla tape to hold them in place, but don't like the tape look.

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any aftermarket lights which fit into these openings? I'm hoping perhaps these openings are industry standard-type shapes in the truck industry, and I just don't know where to look for a light that would snap into them, if it's even available. My truck is a 2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2.

Thoughts?

Attachment 87959

You have a "always on" 12V power wire in the round 7 pin trailer connection. Truck toppers use the trailer connection by utilizing a plug and play harness for third brake light and interior light. Third brake light 7-Way Interface plug-in T Harness - 300100 | EZ Wheeler.com

I had a Leer topper and used this connection with LED strip lights under the bed rails on the 2020 Ram I had, they were wired into a switch and dimmer. I have not got around to doing this on the 2022 yet.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I wasn't as in love with the Tremor as I thought I would be once seeing it in person. There's just something a little off with the aesthetics, although I think a leveling kit would address a lot of it. The rake is pretty significant and the rear fender gap is so much more than the front. I know there needs to be *some* rake, but especially in a lighter color it just seemed really noticeable. The inside is nice. I didn't drive it. I want to like the Ford, and I think it's probably the more capable of the two, but I still prefer the Ram Rebel's aesthetics both inside and out. Except the dumbass dial shifter on the dash, which can be eliminated by getting the GT package. I'm still planning to hold out long enough to see the Ranger Raptor, being in no rush, but I expect it'll be another Bronco scenario where you can't actually get one.

I have become somewhat enthralled with the 360 camera systems on the new trucks. I'm not entirely sure why I like the idea so much, but it's such a cool feature. Kind of like the HUD in my Camaro, my enjoyment of the gadget is likely not proportionate to the actual usefulness.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List