Page 41 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not unlike carrying a gun, I think that for most people what they really want or mean is a PERCEPTION of safety, or a FEELING of safety.

And I can’t say I blame them. Even if someone told me that a Miata was safer than my Ram, even if Al, the data in the world proved it, I’d still probably prefer driving my Ram and I’d “feel” safer doing so.
    Some guys definitely feel safer with their Judge and 5 rounds of birdshot vs. a small 9. But that doesn't describe most of the membership here.

If you care about safety, do the research. Perception doesn't keep your wife and kids safe in a wreck.

I spent 10 minutes looking at IIHS. And used some brain power thinking about this during lunch.

The IIHS ratings fall into 4 categories, Good/Acceptable/Marginal/Poor. Thats it.

My F-150 side impact rating = Good. Camry side impact rating = Good.

Here is a picture of an F-150 and Camry doing a side impact test from the IIHS. Thats 37 MPH.

https://twitter.com/iihs_autosafety/...29326042980352

Would you rather be in the Ford or the Camry? Reverse the situation and I think the Camry could possibly break your legs or maybe your hips as a driver/pax in the truck? Maybe it submarines under the truck? I like my chances in the truck.

Realistically speaking, I get that the IIHS has to set a minimum standard and call that "good enough." They cant say everything is less safe than a full size modern truck, which is probably the truth. Especially when you get hit by a full sized truck!

I suppose there is a small part of me that will accept the worse mileage of the full-size truck for additional safety, for the kids especially. The Maverick is not rated in IIHS yet. But again, if gets "Good" for all ratings, is it really as safe as a full size truck???

I am trying to relate this to CCW and ammo choice, but I can't quite make it work. Let my remove the Judge from its AIWB holster and think about this for a bit...

So the Maverick as a cheap truck at $20k for a hybrid is nice. But then you pimp it out.

This is what I was looking at, which stickers at $33k (Lariat/Hybrid/First Edition), and the guy wanted $5K on top,

Last edited by rayrevolver; 03-19-2022 at 12:21 PM.

If one can find injury reports that insurance companies use it is a much better indicator of "crash results"

Some years ago when I paid attention to crash tests they were based on the vehicle hitting a solid barrier (not another vehicle) and the result was based on the outcome. At the time I believe the Suburban was "average". However my friend in the insurance business said the injury rate was very low for Suburbans because most often it was a battle against other cars not solid barriers.

Testing may be different today. I would take a F150 (if survival was the only criteria) over a Maverick myself cause physics......

I respond to a lot of vehicle crashes, we average 2.34 per shift, on a very busy 5 lane and the intersection of 3 interstates. I have been stationed here since January 2008 and my vehicle extrication skills have grown rusty due to the advancements of modern technology. Any late model car, SUV, truck is safer than autos made 10 years ago. I see very few people going to the hospital with more than bumps and bruises for injuries. The more severe injuries usually involve older autos and/or extremely high speeds. Our bad one yesterday involved a 2018 Chevy Silverado that got T-boned and rolled several times by a Prius. All parties walked away from this.

Trying to compare safety ratings of modern autos is like trying to determine which 9mm is more effective.

I’m pretty damn impressed so far with the Ridgeline. I may need to do a road trip next week and haul some of my mother’s stuff back, so I put a bed cover onto it today. That was a confusing analysis exercise - I ended up with the OEM due to availability, cost and because it doesn’t have side rails that prevent the in-bed trunk from fully opening. This thing is larger than I expected, too.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Not a single pickup on the list of most dangerous vehicles...

Fatal Accident Rate (Cars per Billion Vehicle Miles)
    1 Mitsubishi Mirage 10.2
    2 Chevrolet Corvette 9.8
    3 Honda Fit 7.7
    4 Kia Forte 7.4
    5 Chevrolet Spark 7.2
    6 Subaru BRZ 6.9
    7 Nissan 370Z 6.2
    8 Nissan Versa 6.1
    9 Kia Rio 5.9
    10 Dodge Challenger 5.8
    11 Chevrolet Camaro 5.5
    12 Kia Soul 5.3
    13 Hyundai Veloster Turbo 5.2
    14 Nissan Versa Note 5.2
    Average for All Vehicles 2.6

F150 “Ratler”. Package on the XL based on the FX4. Seems largely aesthetic beyond that.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ttler-details/

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If I was allowing myself to want things, a Lead Foot grey Tremor would be pretty high on the list of wants...
    Well looks like a sad day. The 2022 build and price is out and lead foot appears to no longer be an option!

Name:  1177DEC4-CF93-4933-9056-959F8333AD58.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  655FF72C-B3E4-4EB8-9909-5B1CF6FC5E41.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  22.5 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Is that a retrax cover?

How do you like it?
    The cover worked very well and the rack attachment with the rhino-rack pioneer platform and quick disconnect feet with HD cross bars from rhino-rack held up very well even with “spirited” driving on some off road trails. I carried 3 5 gallon LC2 fuel jugs in a 3 compartment fuel carrier from LC2 on the pioneer platform, 37x12.5r17 spare tire, fire extinguisher and a shovel. I may tweak the set up for more recovery equipment later on once I decide exactly what I am going to add to it.

The retrax cover secured all our other gear from elements/dust on the trip and have no complaints on its operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Looking for options / inputs on adding aftermarket battery powered bed lights, using the OEM opening?

Pictured below is the best I currently have. It's an inexpensive HF battery-powered LED light that I have screwed to the OEM trim covers. These trim covers go over/into the openings in my truck, since I don't have the factory bed light option.

The only issue I have with this solution is that the weight of the lights tends to pull them out of the openings. I could use some Gorilla tape to hold them in place, but don't like the tape look.

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any aftermarket lights which fit into these openings? I'm hoping perhaps these openings are industry standard-type shapes in the truck industry, and I just don't know where to look for a light that would snap into them, if it's even available. My truck is a 2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2.

Thoughts?

Name:  IMG_0760.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  72.8 KB

User Tag List