Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Full size gun for concealed carry?

"Typically it refers to the largest non-long slide version of a model. It astonishes me that people have spent like 5 pages debating this nonsense."

As I said before, we're not talking about how to carry a bigger gun, or making a judgement on any gun being carried. I asked out of curiosity. I didn't realize that people on PF could seriously ask some of these questions. I'm packing a 6.5" M29 today. It only carries 6 rounds. Does that make a G19 a bigger gun because of its magazine capacity? Ridiculous.

Getting my 2 cents in way late, but I carry (and have done so for about a decade) a full size gun daily. Either a 34 or a 17 and in the summer when it is "harder to conceal" I carry a 17 with the grip cut to G19 length. IWB makes barrel length largely irrelevant. Prior to 2005 I usually carried a G27 or G30 because I read all the articles saying how bigger guns were "too hard to conceal". Then I finally gave it a try in order to stream line my training time and started carrying a 34 like I competed with and found I liked that a lot better. So I didn't have to spend time shooting my 34 for matches and my 27 for defensive practice. I just used the big gun for everything which essentially doubled my training time with that gun.

As to times when something smaller is required that would be times when the shirt must be tucked and no cover garment would be practical or when no belt is available (like running shorts / swim trunks etc). In those instances it is either a G26 or a J frame or the wife's Kahr 380 in either a tuckable holster , ankle holster or pocket holster depending on the wardrobe required. But if I can go there wearing an untucked shirt and wearing a belt then it is a 17 or 34 for sure.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 12-26-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I didn't realize that people on PF could seriously ask some of these questions.
    I'm not surprised in the least. I came to this forum because it had a reputation of being a place where you can ask a question and get a response from an actual industry expert. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Guys, we need to quit sniping and lobbing rocks at one another. It's disappointing.

I'll take the blame for broadening the conversation in the first place by having asked about what manner of belt attachment folks were using for their full sized guns and holsters. (Was interested in which methods printed least for them while providing adequate security and presentation with those firearms.) That's why I asked if SLG wanted me to start a separate thread on the topic.

There's no need for this to devolve any further, imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Full size for a pygmy might be a J.
    Full size for Andre the giant might be a Desert Eagle.

It is subjective and depends on YOUR perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm not surprised in the least. I came to this forum because it had a reputation of being a place where you can ask a question and get a response from an actual industry expert. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
    I don't see how that is a part of this issue.

I also don't see how some security guard requirement in a crazy gun state like CO (or anywhere else) has to do with deciding what a full size gun is is also beyond me.

There is no "standard" . As has been stated before, a full size gun is the largest gun a company makes, that is still intended for carry or duty use. As opposed to competition of any kind. Barrel length, in and of itself, is not the issue. Neither is capacity. A G19 is not a full size magazine. It is a compact magazine in a compact gun that carries as much ammo as many other, larger designs. That's it. If one company's full size gun is larger or smaller in anyway compared to any other company's full size gun, it is irrelevant in this context.

A J frame is almost as big in external dimensions as a G19. Is it also full size?

Blues,

Your questions had nothing to do with this. There just seems to be a serious disconnect over the term "full size." I'm sorry I asked the question. Maybe I should have phrased it in a more safe space friendly way, so that everyone can feel like their choice is full size. As if it matters in anyway at all.

Also neither here nor there, but one overseas deployment saw me in an overt tactical posture, but still carrying my compact duty weapon on my hip. One group of dudes I worked with had a more covert mission, yet they carried G17's. Did it matter? No, becasue they used what they were issued, as did I. They also figured out how to carry and conceal their G17's just fine. Not once did either of us wish we had the other's gun.

Anyway, I think the thread has run its course and I imagine my initial question was answered, even if it took some twists and turns. Thanks to all who understood and replied.

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    Full size for a pygmy might be a J.
    Full size for Andre the giant might be a Desert Eagle.

It is subjective and depends on YOUR perspective.
    No, it isn't subjective to you, and one's opinion on it's size doesn't matter. It may be subjective to the gun company that created it, but that's it.

To clarify, in the spirit of assuming the above wasn't trolling...A j frame may be the largest gun a pygmy can carry (IDK), but that doesn't make it full size. When a gun store commando hands a small woman a J frame, does he say, "Here, try this full size gun out." ?
    Last edited by SLG; 12-26-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    You must be new here. Welcome.
    Join Date 02-28-2011
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

At work, I don't carry (secure facility with metal detectors, x-ray machines, etc., and guaranteed termination of employment if I attempt to bring in a firearm).

Outside of work, VP9 95% of the time. My go-to holster is a JM Custom IWB v1 with 15° cant—I've got four of 'em: one for an XC1, one for an X300U, one for an APL, and a non-light-bearing model. Did the XC1 thing for several months with no significant compromise to concealability, but some issues with that light arose during a recent class which have me trying out an APL. The APL is less obtrusive than the X300U, but still adds a noticeable amount of bulk when compared to the XC1. Jury is still out on that one.

If I really want to conceal the VP9 well, I have a TT Gunleather Mike's Special. It seems like it's closer to 20° of cant, and between that and the low ride, it does a great job of keeping the butt of the gun from sticking out, even when seated or bending over. It is also incredibly comfortable compared to every Kydex holster I have ever had. I understand why there are still plenty of leather devotees out there. The downside is that my draw is measurably slower because the leather is very grabby, and the increased cant forces me to almost hyperextend my wrist establishing a firing grip (I carry at the 3:30).

Apparel is mostly fishing or camp-style shirts from the likes of Columbia, Mountain Khakis, Marmot, etc. Plaid is rad. Garments like that which usually don't have any stretch built into the fabric present more of a challenge on the draw when compared to things like cotton polos, as SLG mentioned. But while there are tons of striped polo shirts out there, I've yet to find any patterned polos that I'd be caught dead wearing, and I feel like I need patterns to most effectively conceal the VP9.

This year, I added a J-frame to the lineup to give me an option for quick stops on the way to or from work, or if I have to run an errand in the middle of the day and don't have the option of changing into my normal concealment garb.

The only compelling reason I have for carrying a full size gun is because there isn't a compact version of the VP9, and I'm not interested in going down to an sk-sized model. Before making the switch to HK, I was content with a G19. The larger grip of the VP9 does make it a little more shootable, but of all the reasons that got me to adopt it as my primary carry gun, grip size was nowhere near the top of the list. I would appreciate having something with a little shorter grip to make concealment less of a chore, but I do ok with the VP9.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    Join Date 02-28-2011
    I saw that. Just a bit of friendly sarcasm towards the P-F's culture of picking nits, that's all.

Cheers,
    David S.

User Tag List