Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: School me on J frames

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I haven't carried a J frame in 20 years but that will change this week...
    Without a derail would you mind sharing why the change?

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Without a derail would you mind sharing why the change?
    It won't be my primary. It will be a jacket pocket carry for winter weather...or a pants pocket carry for trips down the road to the mailbox or dog walks when inclined.

I just felt it was a better fit for those particular roles than a Glock 43 might prove. (Especially if you add in the remote possibility of ECQB or having to fire from a pocket.)

It also resolves the matter of getting something for my wife to give me for Xmas as well as some remorse over the selling of my old model 36 twenty years ago.
    Last edited by blues; 12-21-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Grips-Spegel or Uncle Mike's Boot grips based on the Spegels. I have some with Crimson trace grips but it is usually for dedicated alert hand draw and carry back ups.

Apex...yes

Sights....anything you can do to see them. I will spend he extra for real sights if it is an option. Most of my daily carried working guns have good sights.

Holsters...for the pocket, it depends on which pocket I have different likes. Just had to deploy my M&P 340 the other night for real and the Mika I use for strong side front pocket worked great and has been about perfect.

I am a huge fan of the DSG clip, Safariland 27 for the steel guns, and have lots of other quality stuff.

Usually use a 7 round speed strip for five shots and an eight for the 6 shot snubs. Speedloaders only when the snub is a primary, which is almost never.

DB - have you ever tried (or heard of) the "Ulticlip?" If you haven't, I do believe it's worth your time. How does the DSG clip differ in function from it? From the searching I did, it seems the DSG attaches directly to the gun, the Ulticlip to the holster. I've not used the Ulticlip, but plan to very soon as I am less than impressed with most everybody's "factory holster clips." As always, thanks for your input - I'm learning every day.

Site Supporter
    Very kind of you but I won't put you to the trouble. I'll evaluate after I get a chance to play with the gun and go from there. Thank you for the generous offer. I won't forget it.

I humbly direct both of you to my post ^^^^ referring to the Ulticlip. Pretty cool.

Site Supporter
    I haven't carried a J frame in 20 years but that will change this week...

Have an Uncle Mike's for the pocket inbound. (No cost since I had amazon points.)

I used to paint the front sight with my wife's nail polish but may upgrade to one of those Sharpie paint thingies.

Have a couple of Tyler T's...in black and silver, plus my original wood grips from my early 80's Model 36. If need be I'll explore Pachmayr or Hogue.

Tom's building me his excellent by all accounts AIWB (w/ clip) holster

Still have a handful of old holsters going back a ways...a suede Cobra Gunskin IWB (clip), an 80's vintage DeSantis 02 belt holster, Renegade and DeSantis ankle holsters, (my others have worn out), and a relatively new Remora that may or may not be the right fit for the gun or the pocket. (Man, the leather on that old DeSantis is SO much nicer than the stuff he puts out today. Thick and supple, it's still like new.)

Since I already have them on hand, I'll carry the Winchester RA38B +P or Hornady Critical Defense (standard pressure). I've got plenty of American Eagle 130gr FMJ for training.

I hate speed loaders (especially in the pocket) so have always carried Bianchi speed strips since the 80's.

Not planning on changing internals. This is intended as a backup or last ditch firearm except for walks down to the mailbox on the main road or dog walks down our rural gravel road when I don't feel like grabbing something with a bit more firepower.

blues - really anxious to hear how this goes - please keep us posted.

Dark Star Gear:

This is the holster I've been referring to. Can't speak for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    blues - really anxious to hear how this goes - please keep us posted.
    I'll do my best. If I forget just shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer what I can.

Dark Star Gear:

I use a DSG clip on for an LCR, and it's fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grips - The stock grips are my fav. I've tried all three of the modern CTs, but the stock grip fills my hand perfectly- Clinch Pick bulb like-ish.
    Sights - The sharpie black rears didnt do much for me, orange on the front is better in certain lighting. A white undercoat under the orange/yellow/white should help. I didnt do it though.
    Apex kit - 9lbs on a carry gun would not concern me. Just make sure if you do the apex kit that you don't stress the pivot pins. Next time I order from Brownells if they have the J frame kit, ill buy one.

Other - Eh.. if I was gonna pay for an after market coating, i'd prob put that money into a J upgrade like the 340 instead. My 642 finish has held up as expected for years of EDC, I prefer it to the 442, bc its easier for me to clean/see the powder on.

Support gear:

IWB holster - HighNoon Mr. Softy
    Reloads -Bianchi speed strips avail on Amazon for me
    Ammo - WC for the most part, Speers in a speed strip.
    Last edited by Isaac; 12-21-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Dark Star Gear:

I'm wearing a 442 in this holster as I type this.

User Tag List