Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Considering M&P 15

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    It's a known issue for uppers that are regulated for 5.56 pressures. In my mid-length, PMC and MK318 have a severe POA/POI shift at 50 yards, which I think is due to the MK318 being both 5.56 and loaded for a short barrel.
    Is this something that can be remedied with a lighter carbine buffer (I would assume most guys savvy enough to run a middy are also running an H buffer)? Also regarding PMC (bronze), I find that stuff is definitely underpowered compared to XM193 or even standard Federal 55gr 223 loadings.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Is this something that can be remedied with a lighter carbine buffer (I would assume most guys savvy enough to run a middy are also running an H buffer)? Also regarding PMC (bronze), I find that stuff is definitely underpowered compared to XM193 or even standard Federal 55gr 223 loadings.
    As I said in my post, I run a standard weight buffer, not an H buffer, and still had issues with cheap ammo.

If I were to run a lot of the cheap stuff then I would open up the gas port and run an H buffer with the 5.56 loads, and a standard buffer with the steel ammo. I would bet that a BCM carbine length system would eat the cheap stuff just fine.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Update on the M&P15 Sport, my first M4gery, an entry level carbine. I still like the fact of no forward assist, no dust cover, and the built in oversize trigger guard. I just added the MagPul ACS butstock, I love that stock. I have the MagPul MOE+ grip, like the hand filling overmolded rubber. Have the MOE handguard. Just added the "Grip Pod" ( I went to a gun show yesterday). Since I am LH I replaced the selector with a LH selector from STAG Arms. Mine came with the MBUIS rear sight. I like that. I put a .3 EOTech riser under a 512 I had gathering dust. That raises the hologram over the front sight tower but I can still cowitness in the lower one third of the screen. Even though the EOTech eats AA batteries and may be more prone to failure in comparison to an AimPoint, I will probably use it until it fails. I will then probably buy an Aimpoint PRO or T-1 with the 2 MOA dot. 320 rounds with only one fail to feed out of a 70's ventage Colt 30 round magazine that an operator gave me a few years ago. It failed to feed round number 29. I may be a packrat. The old worn out colt mag is destined to be shot and recycled. Nothing but PMags in my future. All I need now is an Ambi mag catch and maybe a light etc. Anyone have any expierence with a "Grip Pod"?

I have a rule about GripPods:
    Never pay for one, that way you won't feel bad when you take it off and never use it again.
    Yeah, its a combination of two items, but if optimally placed for one application it will be sub optimal for the other. It's like a combination calculator and pregnancy test, it might be able to do two different things, but what's the point? A magazine monopod works just as well without the added schlong sticking out, lets you maintain a lower profile while firing, and works just as well on a cant as flat ground.

Mags- I would only recommend black pmags or US GI aluminum with an upgraded follower.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Mags- I would only recommend black pmags or US GI aluminum with an upgraded follower.
    F2S, have you had bad experience with colored PMAG's? I have 50/50 between OD and Black, and so far they've all been 100%... But obviously you see a lot more mags/rounds going down range than me.

Highest failure rates have been with non-black pmags.
    Director Of Sales

Quote Originally Posted by G60 View Post
    but is this a known problem with BCM middies?
    FWIW my 16'' midlength BCM has ran fine (no malfunctions or bolt not locking back on an empty mag) with a Spikes Tactical ST-T2 buffer and TulAmmo 55gr. But, that is also only around 100 rounds and a sample of one. It's also a hammer forged barrel I wouldn't think they would change the gas port spec but I don't know.

Finally arived

Quick update on the thread--my AR finally arrived. Originally i was going to go for a mid length, but in the end decided for going for a DD M4 v1. So far i only have about 200 rounds of federal 55 grain ammo through it. I'm having a lot of trouble acclimating to aperture sights. All of my previous rifles/pistols had the standard notch sights. Sadly, i shoot my ak/sweedish mauser a lot better than the AR. Case in point--i need to put a lot more rounds down range. In order to save on the cost of ammo--any suggestions on whether a dedicated upper such as one made by spikes, or a m&p15-22 would serve better? Both are about the same price, but the upper offers the advantage of having the same trigger and similar weight. The M&P on the other hand offers identical operational controls such as a last shot bolt hold open.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    Quick update on the thread--my AR finally arrived. Originally i was going to go for a mid length, but in the end decided for going for a DD M4 v1. So far i only have about 200 rounds of federal 55 grain ammo through it. I'm having a lot of trouble acclimating to aperture sights. All of my previous rifles/pistols had the standard notch sights. Sadly, i shoot my ak/sweedish mauser a lot better than the AR. Case in point--i need to put a lot more rounds down range. In order to save on the cost of ammo--any suggestions on whether a dedicated upper such as one made by spikes, or a m&p15-22 would serve better? Both are about the same price, but the upper offers the advantage of having the same trigger and similar weight. The M&P on the other hand offers identical operational controls such as a last shot bolt hold open.
    I went the dedicated upper route (CMMG) and I can't say I'm 100% happy with my decision. As you mentioned, the advantage of the dedicated upper is the ability to use the same lower. You will also have the advantage of the same weight. The disadvantages I have seen are:
    1) Different manual of arms - the conversions and dedicated uppers are simple blow back bolts and thus do not make use of the bolt hold back or forward assist (I know not a big issue here). Thus if you are training for magazine changes or malfunction drills you will not be paralleling your rifle.
    2) Reliability - as with any 22LR, the bulk ammo will reduce reliability, but most of the conversion bolts (which is what dedicated uppers use as well) are based on the Ciener bolt and as a result - are not designed to extract live rounds well. This has been my biggest issue as I can deal with a dud every hundred rounds or so, but not being able to clear the gun is unacceptable.
    3) Cost - Going the dedicated upper route will cost you about the same as a M&P-15-22, but still require you to use the receiver of your full caliber rifle. This may not seem like an issue, but having an extra gun is nice as you can let a friend plink with it while you shoot your primary or you can take your .22LR rifle places you wouldn't want to take your primary.

CMMG's newer "EVOLUTION" uppers are supposed to rectify most of my complaints, but from modifying my own with some of the newer parts as well as talking to guys running the newer EVOLUTION uppers, it doesn't seem that they are 100% there yet.

I ended up building up a full dedicated rifle using a 1st Gen DPMS receiver that wasn't worth using on a "serious" rifle, so I am fully committed. I am continually tweaking my rifle to make it more reliable but a big part of me wishes I went the M&P route.

I don't have any direct experience with the M&P, but I do know their lower will allow AR-spec triggers, so you should be able to use the same trigger in your M&P-22 as you have in your DD.

If you are just wanting to be able to shoot cheap ammo and learn to use your sights you might also want to consider just going the route of an adapter bolt. The biggest problem you will have here is accuracy as your 1/7 twist is far too fast for a 22LR (the dedicated uppers use a much slower twist - 1/12 or 1/16 I think), but if you are shooting at 25yards it won't be as much of an issue. The big benefit with this route as it will only run you one to two hundred bucks and other than accuracy, do the same thing as a dedicated upper would. One other thing I would consider with an adapter is to watch for lead fouling and buildup in your barrel and make sure it is clean before firing full caliber ammo through it as I have seen one rifle barrel ruined this way.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-07-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    I'd just dry-fire or get some cheap ammo.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Director Of Sales

User Tag List