Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering M&P 15

FDE and FG PMAGs seem a bit less durable than OD and especially black.

Very interesting. Thank you!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    FDE and FG PMAGs seem a bit less durable than OD and especially black.
    I have heard this before. Do you know if this material weakness also applies to MagPulls handguards, buttstocks, and such?
    Last edited by Suvorov; 12-11-2011 at 08:50 PM.

All magazines are weak. That is why magazines are the weak link in the system. They break. Understand that magazines are a consumable item and move on. GI mags break. PMags break. H&K Mags break. The other cheapo knock off hunk of shit mags break. When that happens, replace them with whatever flavor of the week HSLD magazine has the biggest color glossy advertisement, suits your fancy, happens to be on sale, is what the cool kids use, whatever your purchase criteria happens to be, and don't worry too much about them until they need replaced again.

If they are a serious manufacturer of magazines, I have them. Hundreds of them in most cases. They all work fine for what they were designed for. Until they don't. Then they get thrown in the garbage, and replaced with a new one. I can get usually get at least a year out of a single magazine, and it doesn't matter who made it. About a year of hard use, and it's time to go.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Sean, serious question, no snark.

Do you mark your magazines with a date? Just wondered what your trash barrel occupation criteria was composed of - me I tend to go with malfunctions, but I am a civilian these days.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    GI mags break. PMags break. H&K Mags break. The other cheapo knock off hunk of shit mags break.
    Deep truth is buried between the lines, there.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I can get usually get at least a year out of a single magazine, and it doesn't matter who made it. About a year of hard use, and it's time to go.
    Sean M, how many rounds here are we talking about? A pogue like myself who sees 1000 rounds a year if lucky and am not dropping them on the hard rocks of far off Dirkadirkastan can probably get by with longer?

I replace my mags once per year. Usually it corresponds with a return home. Out with the old, in with the new. If the old ones are still working, I will keep them in the "training" pile, and use them for training or practice on days or at locations where the conditions are hard on mags (concrete, asphalt, rocks, mud, sand). This way I do not have to concern myself with premature aging of the magazines. Especially useful for long stress courses that require a full load out. I can usually get between 2500-4000 rounds per mag through normal use over the course of a year before I start seeing issues.

I used to number my mags. So I knew which one was having issues. I used to give a mag 2-3 chances before it hit the garbage, but found that once the mag was tagged, it was going to the garbage in the next 2-3 uses anyway......why wait? Once the feedlips spread, it's done. No point in hanging onto it any longer to watch the same malfunction again.

If a mag got replaced early, say halfway through the year because it was a Monday/Friday mag, it still gets swapped out for new ones when I get home. I generally have 10 working magazines, and carry the same number of spares buried in a gear bag somewhere. Even at $13 per mag, that is $130 per year, to get through 25k-40k rounds, depending on the year and schedule. If you are going through that much ammo, and buying that ammo.......the $130 per year on magazines is chump change. And if you have that kind of money to blow on ammo, let me know......I'll be happy to provide quality 1 on 1 carbine instruction for a modest fee......using your ammo of course.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Got it. That makes sense. I did something like that when I deployed.

Red face

Just giving an update on the M&P 15 Sport. I got a .3" EOTech riser. That puts the front sight in the lower third of the EOTech's screen. I like that better. I installed a MagPul MOE handgard and a MOE+ grip. I like those two things better than OE. Considering I already had the EOTech 512, I have spent less than $100 in accessories. I orderd a Stag Arms LH selector today for $15.91. So far I have been running some Brownells 30 round and 20 round magazines along with one 30 round Colt magazine from the early 1980s. I have put only 270 rounds through the gun so far. I had one malfunction with one of the 30 metal magazines. It was a failure to feed with two rounds left in the magazine. I think it was with the old Colt magazine. I noticed the Colt follower would tilt all over the place. The later Brownells magazines would still tilt but not as bad as the old Colt magazine. The later model Browells magazines had yet a different follower that tilted less than the older Brownells magazines. I recently got 9 Magpul 30 round PMAGs with followers that do not tilt at all. I wonder if the metal magazines are worth upgrading to Magpul followers. What do you guys think? I think I would be shooting 5.56mm carbine more if not for the M&P 15-22. That 22 rim fire AR is a lot of cheap fun.

User Tag List