Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger characteristics -- Glock vs VP9

Trigger characteristics -- Glock vs VP9

These days, the Glock and VP9 are my two favorite striker pistols.

This week, I received a Gen 4 19 back from Coldbore Custom, with a chop job, and also installed HD sights on a new VP9. I shot both of them yesterday and today. What is interesting is how different the triggers are on these two pistols.

This Glock 19 has an OEM minus connector, 5 pound Wolff striker spring, and is otherwise stock in the trigger department. The VP9 came right out of the box. I haven't shot a Glock much since last spring, when I was shooting a MOS 19 in USPSA. Right away, I noticed how easy it is to get a right or left deflection in shots with the Glock, based just on how your finger interacts with the face of the Glock trigger. I got things together fairly quickly, but I was amazed how perishable the Glock technique is when trying to shoot one inch squares and similar low prob targets.

The VP9 trigger may look similar to the Glock, but is a completely different beast for me. First, it does not seem sensitive to side to side deflection like the Glock. However, it feels very much more 1911 like in character, and I shoot it more like a 1911 than a Glock. Also, like a 1911, I feel that within reason, the lighter the VP9 trigger is, the easier it is to shoot fast.

Before I forget, the Trijicon HD sights I installed on the VP9 are hitting about three inches low at 25, very much drive the dot as opposed to the tip of the front sight zero I prefer. Is that common with the VP9 and, if so, are there other sights options that zero better and are still high viz?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If that isn't a good reason to invest in a flat faced trigger for a Glock then I don't know what is. I never really understood why Glock designed their trigger face to be round when just about every other manufacturer makes their trigger faces flat.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

i think it is a trigger reach but I need to test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    i think it is a trigger reach but I need to test it out.
    I'd also say the square Glock grip doesn't fit anyone really well and that is likely a big part of the problem.

I love the reach and break of the VP9. It seems like the VP9's trigger doesn't go as far back as most SF pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Right away, I noticed how easy it is to get a right or left deflection in shots with the Glock, based just on how your finger interacts with the face of the Glock trigger. I got things together fairly quickly, but I was amazed how perishable the Glock technique is when trying to shoot one inch squares and similar low prob targets.
    Yep, my SIG DA/SA skills are way less perishable than on the Glock. For me, this adds an element of inconsistency when I'm shooting Glocks. Even shooting them regularly, I occasionally get a what the heck that just don't happen with a 226 or 239.

I'm pretty convinced it's mostly grip and poor fit, since I don't think Glock truly fits anyone well. Of course they can be shot at a high level. But I personally find I have to grip a Glock significantly harder than a SIG to get equal performance. And it's much harder to get consistency in my grip.

A very strong grip is incredibly important for me, in shooting a Glock. Strong to help press the trigger as opposed to for recoil control.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Not to take anything away from a Glock but I enjoy shooting my VP9 far more than shooting my Glocks.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 11-22-2016 at 11:37 PM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

A very strong grip is incredibly important for me, in shooting a Glock. Strong to help press the trigger as opposed to for recoil control.
    Exactly this!

These days, the Glock and VP9 are my two favorite striker pistols.

This week, I received a Gen 4 19 back from Coldbore Custom, with a chop job, and also installed HD sights on a new VP9. I shot both of them yesterday and today. What is interesting is how different the triggers are on these two pistols.

This Glock 19 has an OEM minus connector, 5 pound Wolff striker spring, and is otherwise stock in the trigger department. The VP9 came right out of the box. I haven't shot a Glock much since last spring, when I was shooting a MOS 19 in USPSA. Right away, I noticed how easy it is to get a right or left deflection in shots with the Glock, based just on how your finger interacts with the face of the Glock trigger. I got things together fairly quickly, but I was amazed how perishable the Glock technique is when trying to shoot one inch squares and similar low prob targets.

The VP9 trigger may look similar to the Glock, but is a completely different beast for me. First, it does not seem sensitive to side to side deflection like the Glock. However, it feels very much more 1911 like in character, and I shoot it more like a 1911 than a Glock. Also, like a 1911, I feel that within reason, the lighter the VP9 trigger is, the easier it is to shoot fast.

Before I forget, the Trijicon HD sights I installed on the VP9 are hitting about three inches low at 25, very much drive the dot as opposed to the tip of the front sight zero I prefer. Is that common with the VP9 and, if so, are there other sights options that zero better and are still high viz?
    Very similar to my own experiences regarding various Glocks and VP9's. I am notably less likely to induce deflection on the VP9 trigger press compared to Glocks. It is a combination of break point and trigger face, in my case. I do run my VP9 trigger in a very similar manner to how I shoot my 1911's; that is, slapping it like it owes me money.
    TY83544

User Tag List