Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best aftermarket barrel to improve accuracy in a Glock 19/17?

Thanks for all reply's!

Look else where

Things that i would do to my Glock before changing out the barrel:

--Change the sights (if you have not done so--do it ASAP)
    --Put a 3.5 trigger connector

That alone will help you decrease your 25 yard accuracy more than any barrel can--unless of course you are shooting 2.5 inch groups or less.
    Until you can consistently hit ~2.5 inches at 25 yards the barrel is not the limiting factor. For instance: shooting ofhand i shoot ~3-4 inch groups depending on ammo at 25 yards. If i shoot of a sand bag i decrease those groups to ~2 inches. By benching resting i mitigate some of my own shooting errors when shooting unsupported. THAT is what i'm working towards with my offhand long distance shooting.

I'll preface by saying that i have not shot the PPQ a lot, but i have shot it and talked to those who have. The main difference that i believe contributes to the increased perceived accuracy is ergonomics. the PPQ had AMAZING ergos. A superb stock trigger, and for most people it fits great in their hands. The sights are good as well--especially when compared to the garbage sights on the glock. All of this makes the gun "easier" to shoot accurately and does nothing for it's inherent mechanical accuracy. Ill venture to say though, that if put in a vice both guns with shoot sub 2 inch groups at 25 yards. Most people can't do that consistently. Unless you are shooting sub 2 inch groups (sub 3 inch with bulk ammo) at 25 yards with your glock and are not satisfied--you don't need a new barrel. The above mentioned upgrades will carry you much further in that department for substantially less of a cost.

Hope that helps

I do love my PPQ. Ergonomics are better than Glocks and so is accuracy. But my department issues Glock. Nothing wrong with either. It's good to have choices.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bump

Comedian, just wondering if you or anyone else went through with the Bar-sto barrel that you were thinking about?

My p30 is noticeably more accurate then my gen 3 g19.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    If my skill level was truly at the point where I could significantly benefit from the incrimental performance gain from a quality aftermarket barrel, I might be inclined to go the Bar-Sto route. The reality is that the stock barrel does quite well (re: Sevigny, Vogel, Rogers, et al), and there are other software skills that I'm far better off spending my resources on.

Best, Jon
    If you look closely at the guns those guys actually shoot in competition, almost all of them have an aftermarket barrel.

Like a lot of others I was a stock barrel guy for a long time, but I recently bought a KKM barrel to give it a try, and I have to say, it's a lot more accurate than the stock barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    If you look closely at the guns those guys actually shoot in competition, almost all of them have an aftermarket barrel.

Like a lot of others I was a stock barrel guy for a long time, but I recently bought a KKM barrel to give it a try, and I have to say, it's a lot more accurate than the stock barrel.
    Was it drop in?
    #RESIST

Why is everyone tweaking the trigger to improve accuracy?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Was it drop in?
    Yeppers. Here's what I noticed:

On average, about 10fps faster velocity than standard barrel.

Depending on load used, groups freehand went from about 4" at 25 yards unsupported to about 2". I don't really bench handguns as it's not the most valuable info for me, but the difference in off-hand accuracy was striking.

Of course the reason for the improvement could be that it was a new barrel vs. my old 2nd hand stock barrel. I can't rule that out. But I can say it was a worthwhile change.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Why is everyone tweaking the trigger to improve accuracy?
    For shooting from a ransom rest or something I suppose a really good trigger wouldn't improve accuracy. But when you introduce a human to the equation suddenly the quality of the trigger plays a big role in accuracy. There are multiple variables that we might take into account, such as shooter preference, a crisp break vs. a rolling break, length of the pull, and so on, but let's take a look at pure trigger weight. Pretty much everyone agrees that the more tense your trigger hand is the more difficult accuracy will be, and pulling a heavy trigger requires more hand strength and therefore more muscle tension. On the other hand, with a light trigger your trigger hand and can be very relaxed, resulting in a very dexterous trigger finger and very little "shakes" due to muscle fatigue.

Am I out of my mind for believing that to be almost a line of crap? The stock glock trigger is more than reasonable, IMHO.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List