Welcome to the pistol-forum.com.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    This weekend I taught my snubby short course at the NE Shooters Summit. I had one session each day. Saturday was pretty nice but Sunday was rainy and much cooler.

I used my square butt Model 36.

Saturday I did all the demos but Sunday I only did the first demo in the interest of saving time. Good thing too because the class still took 2 hours. Things always run slower in the rain. I did shoot a student's SP101 to see if the misplaced shot group was him or the gun. It was him.
    Pistols - Popular among handgun-owners, pistols are defined by their built-in barrel and short stock. --Rolling Stone

There were several interesting things that came up as a result of the classes at the NE Shooters Summit.

In terms of running the classes:
    * I need to work out a better way of switching between dummy ammo and live. I demonstrate (re)loading with dummy ammo, both loose and in speedloaders, and switching around was a PITA.
    * My box of targets needs to be clearly marked as mine. My silhouette targets were used for someone else's class earlier on Sunday. It really annoyed me but ended up providing an interesting research outcome.
    * Some people are going to show up at these larger classes with K frame snubs and no speedloaders. While I bring along a bag of J frame speedloaders to loan, I didn't have any K frame speedloaders with me. I'm going to put a couple in the snub class kit.
    * While I like the Dade loaders, they have a longer body than Safariland or HKS and don't work well with all grips. I may have to invest in some HKS even though I don't like them as well.

Several students commented that seeing me demonstrate proper trigger manipulation while dryfiring the drills was very helpful. I've been in revolver classes where the trigger manipulation exhibited was absolutely heinous. The value of demonstrating properly in front of the students was brought home by their comments.

The target mixup provided a very powerful display to me of the value of spot shooting as taught by Bill Rogers. I wrote a Note on my Facebook page about it for those who interested.

Watching other instructors' organizational methods is useful. For me, that's one of the benefits of going to Tactical Conferences; how the other instructors organize and present their material. I'm generally less interested in the content than their class structure. At the NE Summit, I was able to watch Wes Doss, Rob Pincus, and Chris Fry. There were also a couple of items organic to the facility that I liked seeing.

Pistols - Popular among handgun-owners, pistols are defined by their built-in barrel and short stock. --Rolling Stone

About 150 rounds today through the 317. I put a set of old Fitz 10-O grips on it.

Two cylinders freestyle on 6 inch target at 10 yards.

Two cylinders SHO on 6 inch target at 10 yards.

Ten cylinders WHO on 6 inch target at 10 yards.

Ten runs of WHO 5^5 from low ready.

Mostly shot old Wildcat ammo, circa 1980, inherited from my father. Had a few misfires, only one of which failed on the second strike.

Wearing it in my new Bobby Mac HC holster all day. Nice holster. Much better than the equivalent Galco; sometimes price is an indicator. I just received it yesterday but it didn't require any break in.

Did a side by side comparison yesterday of the M&P Shield, Bersa BP9CC, and Kahr P9. Two Master class shooters, me being one, and two lady shooters, one Marksman and one Novice, were the test subjects. All three pistols were quite shootable.

Simple test which is only one data point. I had each shooter fire, from low ready, five rounds at five yards on a 6 inch circle (VB-660 target). Each shooter did two timed and scored runs after five dry fires with each gun to get a feel for the trigger. So it was a 30 shot test per shooter.

I shot the test with each gun and then several magazines through an M&P 22 pistol at 25 yards on a Q silhouette.

The general consensus was that the Bersa had the easiest trigger to shoot, the Shield was the least snappy in terms of recoil management, and the Kahr was probably the best for Threat Management in the 34 out of 35 Defensive Gun Uses that do not actually require gunfire. There are tradeoffs in every aspect of life.

After the comparison test was complete, I had each of the ladies repeat it shooting my P32 with laser. They did a lot better with the P32 than with any of the 9mms; a LOT better. One of them now has me on the lookout for a P32 for her.

I shot Cherokee Gun Club IDPA on Sunday. Used my Gen1 G17 with GFA and Prezine Grip Adapter. Tanked Stage 5 but still managed to win my Division (ESP).

http://www.examiner.com/article/cher...-idpa-may-2012

Went to the range today to shoot some pics for an upcoming article. I only shot about a magazine on my decisional target because I had a much more photogenic model for most of the shots.

Last Saturday I went to a "CCW Seminar" at Bass Pro Shop in Lawrenceville. I always enjoy hearing others present on topics in my field.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/conc...-bass-pro-shop

Drove up to Rogers today for the afternoon session. I borrowed a holster and M&P from Ronnie and shot the Test cold. Only made 105. But it was a beautiful day for a drive to North Georgia and back.

STAFF
    It was a beautiful day, and it was a pleasure to meet you in person!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. "Relax," said the night man. "We are programmed to deceive. You can log out any time you like, but you can never leave." Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    It was a beautiful day, and it was a pleasure to meet you in person!
    It was a pleasure to meet you also and all of the folks there.

I re-read your interview in the April ACLDN Journal again yesterday.
    "...If there is one thing that I object to, it is trainers telling people you have to have something in this size, which then defaults to people who frequently will not have anything at all..."

http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/imag...ork_2012-4.pdf
    Excellent points!