Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Life Hacks Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    @RJ. That's a good solution.

Is the MSH pin on your 1911 cupped on one end? I use a smaller punch from my $5 Harbor Freight set that fits nicely into the little cup on the end of the pin.

It looks like inflation now has them at $10 a set

Or you can always get the original
    Ja, for sure I bought a Tekton 1/8 pin punch to have for this reason. But whacking a steel tool onto the pin, well, let's just say it's not unusual for me to miss something.

I like the Delrin rod a lot; 3/8 of surface area allows me a lot of leeway.

Dang I keep running into stuff at HF. I was in today picking up some 1/4 socket rails and found this "Double Sided Mallet" tucked away on a shelf on a back aisle. $5.99:

https://www.harborfreight.com/double...dle-98285.html

Name:  IMG_2869.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  90.8 KB

Says "3 ounces", but I weighed it at 140 g, or about 5 ounces. It has a nice heft to it, probably because most of the weight is in the steel head (brass and what looks like nylon (it's pretty dense, might be Delrin, I dunno) striking surfaces.) Both heads are threaded on, which is cool but I didn't see replacement heads for sale. Still, underneath is steel, so maybe that's useful.

Just adding it to my collection of small hammers and such like to tap pins.

This was courtesy of a late night YT video I saw but can't quite put my finger on: A pool noodle that covers the emergency release of your garage door:

Name:  IMG_4071.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  25.2 KB

So apparently what this guy is saying (he is a retired LEO, I gather) is that thieves will use a "hook" fashioned out of a coat hangar, and then insert this into the gap at the middle/upper part of the garage door. If they can hook the emergency release, they just pull it, and boom, your door is unlocked.

The pool noodle defeats this, but leaves the cord accessible in the event of an actual emergency. If I can track down the YT video in my watch history, I'll post it back; credit this guy as this idea is not mine, but I thought this was interesting enough to go get a pool noodle and try it out. He was also saying lots of folks leave their interior garage to house doors unlocked, which would be no bueno, obviously. And, sometimes folks will hook car keys next the the garage door. It would suck to wake up to find your car gone and your Garage Door wide open.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

So apparently what this guy is saying (he is a retired LEO, I gather) is that thieves will use a "hook" fashioned out of a coat hangar, and then insert this into the gap at the middle/upper part of the garage door. If they can hook the emergency release, they just pull it, and boom, your door is unlocked.

The pool noodle defeats this, but leaves the cord accessible in the event of an actual emergency. If I can track down the YT video in my watch history, I'll post it back; credit this guy as this idea is not mine, but I thought this was interesting enough to go get a pool noodle and try it out. He was also saying lots of folks leave their interior garage to house doors unlocked, which would be no bueno, obviously. And, sometimes folks will hook car keys next the the garage door. It would suck to wake up to find your car gone and your Garage Door wide open.
    Alternatively, simply undo the knot on the handle, remove the handle, tie a basic overhand knot on one leg of the rope, pull the other end (pulling the knot up to the release), tie another overhand knot at a comfortable height for you, and trim off the excess.

Pretty much impossible to hook a single strand of rope without a handle, and doesn't require buying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Alternatively, simply undo the knot on the handle, remove the handle, tie a basic overhand knot on one leg of the rope, pull the other end (pulling the knot up to the release), tie another overhand knot at a comfortable height for you, and trim off the excess.

Pretty much impossible to hook a single strand of rope without a handle, and doesn't require buying anything.
    Yeah, he points that out as an option, to be fair, however since I wanted to keep the handle I opted to go the pool noodle route.

Edit: found the video:

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    This was courtesy of a late night YT video I saw but can't quite put my finger on: A pool noodle that covers the emergency release of your garage door:

Name:  IMG_4071.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  25.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post

I saw this trick somewhere using two zip ties. There’s no way you can snag the cord hard enough to break the top one that holds the latch closed (instead of only spring pressure) and the second one is insurance.

Name:  IMG_0333.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  34.2 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Another pool noodle use…

When the bike went from being a solo venture to a 2 person transport, some spare PVC tubing, paracord, and a dollar store pool noodle made a comfortable back rest for my pillion.
    Name:  IMG_8538.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  58.7 KB

It replaced a prior dollar store size 15 flip flop that was the previous field expedient solution to pad the pelican hinges that were poking her in the back.

Oh how I can't wait for the mud [and snow] to be gone.

The Vulcan is calling to be set free from the confines of the garage.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Bath mats

Dunno if this qualifies as a "life hack," but if you're still using a towel or cloth bath mat it's time to join the 21st century with a diatomaceous earth bath mat! That's right, a bath mat made of diatomaceous earth!

Just hop on Amazon and search "diatom bath mat" and you'll find many options. They often include a set of drink coasters.

First time I set foot on one five years ago I knew life would never be the same. Where does the water go? It's a mystery. And it's science!!

I now give these as housewarming gifts and holiday/birthday presents to the uninitiated.

This is just one example:

https://www.amazon.com/Stone-Bath-Ma...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
    Dunno if this qualifies as a "life hack," but if you're still using a towel or cloth bath mat it's time to join the 21st century with a diatomaceous earth bath mat! That's right, a bath mat made of diatomaceous earth!

Just hop on Amazon and search "diatom bath mat" and you'll find many options. They often include a set of drink coasters.

First time I set foot on one five years ago I knew life would never be the same. Where does the water go? It's a mystery. And it's science!!

I now give these as housewarming gifts and holiday/birthday presents to the uninitiated.

This is just one example:

https://www.amazon.com/Stone-Bath-Ma...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Stop costing me money!!!!

User Tag List