Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with P232

Site Supporter

Problem with P232

I picked up a used P232 LE package with NS, 3 mags, and the gun looked like it had been shot very little. There was a little surface rust on the barrel, but the gun smith at my range got that off. He said there might be a little pitting but it was more rust than anything. It was a bit of an impulse buy as I have a liking of the P232. Yes it's not practical, but they are easy to shoot for me and one of the few guys I actually enjoy shooting.

When firing FMJ ammo the only problem I had was with one round. However the hollow point situation was totally different. It would feed some, but had many Failure to Feeds. The problem would either happen when trying to load a new magazine into the gun or when firing the gun. The new round would be stuck at a "45ish" degree angle. Sometimes a bump on the slide would seat the round, sometimes not.

I doubt sig would honor the warranty now. Not saying they should either, it is a used gun.

Thank you for any help you give and please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    When firing FMJ ammo the only problem I had was with one round. However the hollow point situation was totally different. It would feed some, but had many Failure to Feeds. The problem would either happen when trying to load a new magazine into the gun or when firing the gun. The new round would be stuck at a "45ish" degree angle.
    It that a 45 degree angle with the front of the bullet pointing up or down?

Joe Mamma

Site Supporter
    First things I would try are new magazines and a new recoil spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    It happened with all 3 magazines.

The bullet is facing up.

Thank you!

Are p232s a reliable platform at all?

I've experienced this problem with both of the other tiny SIGs and with a PPK. I determined they just weren't suitable for serious use and cut bait.

Suggestions:

Try a few defensive rounds that have small or very tapered cavities. Hornady and WinRanger would be my first stops. I could get Hornady rounds to feed in the Sig p938 where others wouldn't.

If you can get aftermarket magazine followers, this could eliminate your bullet orientation issue. Trying different spring weights and downloading the mag by one are also possibilities.

Other options get more severe and would best be done by a smith. The feed ramp may benefit from a slight angle adjustment.

Site Supporter
    Thank you. Wolf springs seems to have a few different weights.

Sounds like I might be better just trading it off with full disclosure or selling it. Haha

The fixed barrel, direct blow-back .380s based on the Walther PPK design have always been notorious for feeding and ejection problems.

Are p232s a reliable platform at all?
    Can't speak to the platform's aggregate performance, but my P232 SL has not had the issue you're describing. The only issue I had was the trigger sticking to the rear after breaking a shot; that worked itself out with some dry firing and using the grease provided by SIG. I'm guessing there was some burrs/imperfections somewhere in the FCG that needed to be smoothed out.

Note: I mostly shoot FMJ out of it. I've only shot a handful of JHPs out of it, not enough to qualify its reliability with such.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I'm going to order some Wolff springs. I don't know why I like the P232 so much but I do.

TGS how many rounds did you put through yours ?

Site Supporter
    I'm going to order some Wolff springs. I don't know why I like the P232 so much but I do.

TGS how many rounds did you put through yours ?
    I suggest ordering a standard weight spring and the next heavier spring. It could be that the spring in the gun is worn. If not, I have cured reliability issues in a couple of my own guns with a stronger than standard recoil spring.

User Tag List