Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autoloaders- what to get?

Autoloaders- what to get?

More pondering about what to get. I want a good, reliable autoloader that I could take to a class (or not). I'm also fond of the idea of shooting often but not spending a ton on ammo. And so...

1) The Sensible choice: a Colt 6920

2) The Sensable cheap choice: an Arsenal SLG 21-71 AK or Czechpoint VZ 58 in 7.62

3) The Slightly Silly party: a Springfield M1A

4) The Silly Party: a DSA Imbel FAL

5) The Very Silly Party: Something by Century....

I've been very pleased with my SOCOM16. I like my AR, but the SOCOM fills the same role and is a lot more fun.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Most classes are oriented towards the AR. Showing up with an AK would mean that the TTPs the instructor teaches would have to be skewed to fit your equipment. There are classes that are not platform intense, but you'd have to look for them.

What you think the rifle's mission or role will be should drive the decision making process IMHO.

Pretty hard to go wrong with a 6920.

If you want a cool-guy rail go with a 6940 or a BCM mid-length.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The only reason to use something other than a quality DI AR-pattern carbine is to "make a personality statement" about how you "don't follow the crowd".

You can do that a lot more cheaply with bumper stickers than you can with an HK91 or an NFA Krink clone.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Sensible choice is sensible.

Colt 6920.
    C Class shooter.

I ask this for those times during a late night online gunshop crawl when that little voice* tells me "Ya know, a Century C-93 Limbim-Bustop-Biscuit-Barrel could be the kewl way to go, and you want to be kewl and different (peng!)"

*Sounds like Michael Palin.

6920 would be a good choice but I like midlengths better and is currently what I run. BCM is an excellent choice.

This year I started playing with AK's in 5.45. Lots of cheap fun but on long shots I find myself missing the accuracy of the AR.

The M1A and FAL are big heavy rifles that compared to the other choices are expensive to feed.

Stay away from Century.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    6920 would be a good choice but I like midlengths better and is currently what I run. BCM is an excellent choice.
    This. For a 14.5-16 inch barrel, in my very humble opinion the carbine gas system is obsolete.

The lower is largely irrelevant.

I would buy an upper from BCM or DD. Buy one without handguards and add as per your preference.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

User Tag List