Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know anything about mattresses?

my ikea mattress has been good but its causing aches now but it is 12 years old at this point. It doesn't use a box spring or anything but wood slats on the bottom of the bed that I replaced with a custom built system as the slats didn't hold up to all the college age moves lol.

For what it is worth: We switched from standard box spring + mattress to a Tempur-Pedic brand mattress. I could never imagine going back to anything else. Works fantastic for us! My friend just bemoaned his IKEA mattress to me yesterday oddly enough... YMMV. I am a side sleeper though ... Which may factor in to the reasons I enjoy our current mattress. Hope you find a great solution as you shop. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tempur - Pedic for 20+ years. Works well, much less back pain.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    My wife and I are currently sleeping on a double pillowtop queen set and have been since we got married 9 years ago. The mattress and box spring were hand-me-downs from a family she babysat for, so it's probably 15-20 years old. I know all the mattress places say to replace every 8 years, yada, yada. Anyway, we took a little 2 night trip to a B&B and when we woke up both mornings we were pleasantly surprised to find that our usual morning aches were not present.
    I'm old and broken and I've slept in expensive beds (a McRosky. I know this because the owner bragged about it), on lumpy motel beds, in a pile of dogs, on bare rocky ground, in hammocks, in snow caves, on friends' couches they'd saved from the trash, etc. I honestly don't think sleeping surface really matters that much, as long as it's reasonably clean and dry and pest-free.

What you experienced is probably similar to the new gun disease. You get something new, you pay lots of attention to what you're doing and how it feels, and it all seems "better." Then the hedonic treadmill kicks in, and you're not really any better than you were before. Just a little poorer for having spent the money to do the same thing you did before.

My suggestion is to rent a furniture steamer and clean your mattress. Both sides, and the box springs, too. And do your kids' mattresses and your couch while you're at it. Might as well do the carpets too. Make a weekend of it. It's probably past time since you should do this every year. Buy new sheets, pillows, and maybe a memory foam mattress topper. Get some blackout curtains and a smelly candle or air freshener or something. Learn and apply good sleep habits, too. Maybe do a little yoga in the morning.

Still, I'm familiar with the OMF stuff. Decent, but their argument is flawed. "We use heavier springs because they last longer." Even if they don't have the mechanical characteristics or perhaps the metallurgy of competitors' lighter springs. It's like saying your gun's recoil spring wears out too fast, so you should make it heavier. It just ignores the purpose and function of the design.

Ikea has a 25 year warranty, and so do many other companies. This suggests you should get a lot more than 8 years out of a mattress. If you and your partner can't agree on firmness (because you have such different weights), maybe one of those Sleep Number beds might suit you, though I think they're more than $800. Or maybe pushing together a pair of xl twins to make a king would work. And there's a wide variety of mattress toppers available (down, memory foam, wool, latex, etc.) so you can get a hard, inexpensive mattress from Walmart or whatever and tune the surface to your taste. There's also Japanese-style beds (futons and shikibutons and whatnot).

And hammocks are quite nice to sleep in. Mayan-style ones with fine-woven mesh and no spreader bars, anyway. Especially in warm weather. Cheap, too. I use one most of the time. It cost me under $100 including mounting hardware. I'd prefer the floor, but most women don't seem to like sleeping on the floor for some reason.

Anyone know anything about mattresses?

I have always historically had overheating problems while sleeping. Got a foam iComfort, paired it with some bedding from Rough Linen, and topped it off with some shredded memory foam pillows from Coop home goods. No overheating, great rest. It's a really great combo.

Last edited by Crews; 08-08-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Serta iComfort or whatever it's called is very cool.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    I have always historically had overheating problems while sleeping. Got a foam iComfort, paired it with some bedding from Rough Linen, and topped it off with some shredded memory foam pillows from Coop home goods. No overheating, great rest. It's a really great combo.

Just looked at their site. They have 8 models with varying firmness and other features. How did y'all select yours? Thanks!

Am currently shopping for a new one for my move in a few weeks. I've always been pleasantly knocked out on friends' Tempurpedics, and they're currently running a 0% for 5years+$300 free in accessories(pillows) promo. That said, I've been sleeping on a Sealy whatever cloud comfort TRON since 2007 and I dig it.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

We have a Tempurpedic, I used to scoff at the price, I wouldn't hesitate to spend that much on bed again. I think we got it Mattress Firm, we paid $10 for a 180 day return/exchange, and we ended up trading in the first mattress for a firmer model. There are better prices than the big box mattress stores, but trying out a bed in the store for 15 minutes and how it feels after a month are two different things and return/exchange cost can become prohibitive.

Read the fine print on warranties. Our mattress before the Tempurpedic started to sag badly in the middle. There had to be at least 2" of sag in the middle with no weight on the bed for it to be a warranty issue. Since the springs had enough life left in them to push the pillow top up, we were left hanging. The mattress before that was 20 years old before we tossed it out, most of my night time dry throat and allergy issues went away with the mattress. I think it was dust mites, but who really knows. If you're allergic to dust mites, foam mattress are resistant to them.
    Last edited by txdpd; 08-08-2016 at 11:07 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Just looked at their site. They have 8 models with varying firmness and other features. How did y'all select yours? Thanks!
    Mattress joint had them all out from the entire line, hung out on a few and of the ones that didn't get hot this was the cheapest.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    A Leesa mattress was the best $800 we've spent in a long time. They come with a 100 day trial period.

https://www.leesa.com/

We also replaced the traditional box springs with a well made wood slat frame as that's recommended with foam mattresses.

User Tag List